Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax DSLR Instant Review options?

On the K-3, under the Camera Menu Tab 4, if you select Instant Review menu several options come up to select.

Most are pretty self-explanatory but what does the option "Save Raw Data" and "Delete" do in this context?

I have searched the forums and looked in the manual and the Pentax K-3 ebook I have but it is not discussed anywhere.

I know this is about the K-3 but I assume that other bodies also have this option so I am posting it here.

Thank you!

Last edited by Theov39; 03-18-2018 at 07:06 PM.
03-18-2018, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It might mean that you see the "delete" as an option while you get the instant review; same for RAW save; when , I guess, you set it to JPG save.
03-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
It might mean that you see the "delete" as an option while you get the instant review; same for RAW save; when , I guess, you set it to JPG save.
That is what I thought but if you select delete it doesn't actually delete the image from the memory card so it must be something else.
03-18-2018, 08:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But in the instant review, when selected you get a "trash can symbol"; without selecting that does not show up!

03-18-2018, 08:58 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
That is what I thought but if you select delete it doesn't actually delete the image from the memory card so it must be something else.
What do you mean it doesn't delete the image? bwgv001 is correct - with both of those options enabled in 'instant review', you have the opportunity to either delete the image during the review period while it's on-screen, or commit its RAW data to the card from the buffer. The latter will only show up if you're *not* saving RAW by default. When the review pops up after a shot you'll see the delete icon onscreen, as well as a prompt for the AE-Lock button (for RAW save). If you tick both of those off in the menu you're referring to, you wont' see either of those icon during the review.
03-18-2018, 11:49 PM - 2 Likes   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
What do you mean it doesn't delete the image? bwgv001 is correct - with both of those options enabled in 'instant review', you have the opportunity to either delete the image during the review period while it's on-screen, or commit its RAW data to the card from the buffer. The latter will only show up if you're *not* saving RAW by default. When the review pops up after a shot you'll see the delete icon onscreen, as well as a prompt for the AE-Lock button (for RAW save). If you tick both of those off in the menu you're referring to, you wont' see either of those icon during the review.
Yes this is absolutely correct.
I'd also like to add that while your photo is in the review mode you can zoom in instantly and have a better look. While your zoomed in, the file will stay in your buffer indefinitely. If its a photo that you really like you can save it as a raw file😀
03-18-2018, 11:56 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
Yes this is absolutely correct.
I'd also like to add that while your photo is in the review mode you can zoom in instantly and have a better look. While your zoomed in, the file will stay in your buffer indefinitely. If its a photo that you really like you can save it as a raw file😀
^ ^ Pro tip there. (Scrolling-in is such a muscle memory thing for me now I don't even think to mention it.)
03-19-2018, 01:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
But in the instant review, when selected you get a "trash can symbol"; without selecting that does not show up!
Great! Got it know.... yes, that's very handy for quick review and delete or save raw data. Thanks for all the replies. I used to leave instant review off all the time so it never occurred to me what these settings are for. Thank you!

Last edited by Theov39; 03-19-2018 at 06:33 AM.
03-19-2018, 05:51 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Great! Got it know.... yes, that's very handy for quick review and delete or save raw data. Thanks for all the replies. I used to leave instant review on off all the time so it never occurred to me what these settings are for. Thank you!
Here is another nice to know feature of Camera Menu Tab 4, you can the setup the K-3 display hold to keep the display on for review without the histogram then push the review button to easily display the histogram. Here is the link K-3 setup for 1-press histogram on, while shooting - PentaxForums.com It works great.

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 03-19-2018 at 05:57 AM. Reason: correction