Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by meeseeks84 Quote
Do you guys often carry a zoom lens in your bag if you have prime lenses that cover that range?
No, I do not; I usually decide in advance if photography is my priority of the day (with a trifecta of primes) OR am I doing something else, but donʻt want to miss an opportunity (with a wide to tele zoom). I rarely take both, but thatʻs just my approach.

For someone in your situation taking a 55-300mm to cover the long end would make sense. There are also some very nice 10-17mm or 12-24mm wide angle zooms that I could imagine being used to replace a wide prime.

03-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by meeseeks84 Quote
Do you guys often carry a zoom lens in your bag if you have prime lenses that cover that range?
I always carry a zoom, sometimes if I feel like it I'll toss a prime in as well. There is little difference in image quality between modern zooms and most of the primes available. There are special purpose lenses that are very useful like the DA 15mm which does amazing sunstars. Or any of the macro lenses, or a 50mm f/1.4. But otherwise I go with top quality zooms.
03-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
There is little difference in image quality between modern zooms and most of the primes available.
Perhaps in your end usage that is true, but I respectfully disagree.

Even if we toss aside technical advantages such as larger apertures, resolution, chromatic aberration, weight or size, and completely disregard tests according to dxomark and dpreview, there is a more than a little difference when it comes to how one shoots. Can a photographer with a zoom, "zoom" with their feet? Yes, but as they do not have to, I personally find that with a zoom, it induces a sort of laziness in my trying to find the best angle, height, position, etc. With a prime, Iʻm forced to move and explore all options.

Can most people see that difference in the final image? Without a side-by-side comparison probably not, but that extra speed alone can be the difference between better AF, lower ISO, enhanced bokeh, and/or faster shutter speed even without comparing IQ.

With all that said, I agree that modern made-for-digital zooms have improved greatly and have narrowed the difference to the point where some would consider my point as splitting hairs. To my eye and experience, itʻs more than that.
03-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Can a photographer with a zoom, "zoom" with their feet? Yes, but as they do not have to, I personally find that with a zoom, it induces a sort of laziness in my trying to find the best angle, height, position, etc. With a prime, Iʻm forced to move and explore all options.
I see this often but have never understood it. I look at a scene, decide what I want the result to be and decide on the focal length that works best. Take the shot, re-evaluate. If I want to "zoom with my feet" I do. I agree moving and exploring is the key, but I don't think having a zoom makes you lazy.
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
but I respectfully disagree.
That's OK, I run into plenty of photographers with the view that primes are clearly better, despite all evidence to the contrary so I'm used to it. And certainly that was true back in the day. But right now, there is no material difference between a good quality zoom and a prime at the same aperture. Primes are (IMHO) specialty lenses with a dedicated purpose. I agree that there is a difference between a f/1.4 lens and a f/2.8 or f/4 lens but that holds true regardless of whether the lenses in question are zooms or primes. And until Pentax releases a set of modern primes that can be compared to modern zooms I maintain the zooms are better in most ways, fast aperture when available being an exception.

03-20-2018, 04:06 PM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

" yes Virginia, there is no traveling violation in photography "

ah the old fashion zooming with a prime lens by actually moving method

an ancient technique which can be surprising to onlookers

is that permissible they might mutter

with one big requirement

don't lose track of your surroundings or else

you might enjoy a short trip with your camera gear

if that happens and the only thing damaged is your pride

count yourself lucky indeed

[ http://www.newseum.org/exhibits/online/yes-virginia/ ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-21-2018 at 04:18 AM. Reason: added link to ripped off idea
03-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Iíd go with Adamís original suggestion.

The built-in flash on the KP will be really handy for chasing kids when you want to pack small.

The 16-85 and 55-300 is a great quick Ďgo kití to cover nearly anything while you have some terrific primes to fill in the rest.

I have a 16-50 f2.8 that is big but bright and does great work on APS, if the 16-85 isnít your bag. But I like having the 16mm option on the zoom to get the whole family in one shot...

-Eric
03-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Well, primes and zooms do have different uses, practical as well as quality-wise. The Limiteds certainly have distinguished themselves as special. In the practical sense, there is the size and weight advantage of these superbly-built extremely fine lenses. And when you move yourself for framing instead of using a zoom, you will get a different perspective from foreground to background in your shot most of the time. Then there are imaging matters like bokeh and other rendering refinements, as well as having a small lens that is as fast or faster than any monster zoom lens.

But when you need to change FL instantly to follow action, for instance, you need a zoom lens- simple as that. When there are conditions where there's really no time for lens-changing, the zoom lens is the way to go. I stand behind the DA 18-135mm for being an outstanding choice for kid shots and more. There's also the WR factor as well.

I regularly carry a zoom lens and prime lens combo. Here are some of them (using a camera shoulder/belt holster case for carrying): (1) DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4LTD on-camera, DA 15mm f/4 LTD in case's front utility pocket, DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 in a belt lens case. (2) Same kit but the FA 77mm LTD f/1.8 instead of the DA* tele zoom. (3) Same kit as (1) but the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 instead of the DA 20-40mm LTD (faster, but more bulky). (4) Same kit as (1) but with the DA 55-300mm WR instead of the DA* tele zoom. (5) For small but very powerful- the DA 21mm f/3.2 LTD on-camea, DA 40mm f/2.8 LTD, FA 77mm f/1.8 LTD, the DA 55-300mm. WR.

If I am going to a social gathering, or whatever needing compactness and versatility, I take my DA 18-135mm and maybe the DA 15mm LTD- depending. This zoom lens allows group shots, or candid closeups, and a lot more.

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-20-2018 at 10:14 PM.
03-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
I would keep the Flash at the top of the Bag . You might get the Grease Lightning Version of Kids ! All with Flash.
Adorable shots!
Terry

03-21-2018, 03:54 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Adorable shots!
Terry
Thanks I just push the button.Not much I have to do with Weaponized Cute
The 8 year old Grand Baby again with a touch of flash.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 08-07-2018 at 04:29 AM.