Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #1

Looking to Upgrade

Hello all,

Excited to have happened upon this forum, because I need some opinions!

I'll start with a TL;DR followed by my story/thinking:
  • Looking for a significant upgrade to my camera situation (Budget $2000ish)
  • Have a good amount of Pentax lenses already
  • Main priority will still be landscape/portraits, but want great performance for action shots as well. (Kids running around, sports, wildlife)
  • Video capability would be a plus
I started getting back into photography a number of years ago, but had to take a hiatus but I now have a renewed desire to get back behind a camera. I've used various hand-me-down's in the past from Nikon to Canon to Pentax. Everything I have is fairly old, but I will say my best glass is for my Pentax camera (an older 100D).

We recently started a family, and my desire to capture the special moments is one of the driving factors behind wanting to upgrade my camera. I'm looking for something that has very good auto-focus and response time, as I want to be able to take pictures of my kids running around. I used to be mostly a landscape/portrait kind of guy.

I've done some research on some of the newest Canon, Nikon, and Pentax since I've used all of these at various times, and it's a lot to digest. Since I already have a good amount of Pentax lenses, I naturally lean towards the K1 (also just saw the K1 II is releasing soon). But it seems like the one common knock on these Pentax cameras is the auto-focus performance. If I'm going to be shooting lot of action shots, is this going to be a limitation?

I certainly don't expect anyone to push me towards another brand on a Pentax site, but honest feedback would be so helpful!

03-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by meeseeks84 Quote
Hello all,

Excited to have happened upon this forum, because I need some opinions!

I'll start with a TL;DR followed by my story/thinking:
  • Looking for a significant upgrade to my camera situation (Budget $2000ish)
  • Have a good amount of Pentax lenses already
  • Main priority will still be landscape/portraits, but want great performance for action shots as well. (Kids running around, sports, wildlife)
  • Video capability would be a plus
I started getting back into photography a number of years ago, but had to take a hiatus but I now have a renewed desire to get back behind a camera. I've used various hand-me-down's in the past from Nikon to Canon to Pentax. Everything I have is fairly old, but I will say my best glass is for my Pentax camera (an older 100D).

We recently started a family, and my desire to capture the special moments is one of the driving factors behind wanting to upgrade my camera. I'm looking for something that has very good auto-focus and response time, as I want to be able to take pictures of my kids running around. I used to be mostly a landscape/portrait kind of guy.

I've done some research on some of the newest Canon, Nikon, and Pentax since I've used all of these at various times, and it's a lot to digest. Since I already have a good amount of Pentax lenses, I naturally lean towards the K1 (also just saw the K1 II is releasing soon). But it seems like the one common knock on these Pentax cameras is the auto-focus performance. If I'm going to be shooting lot of action shots, is this going to be a limitation?

I certainly don't expect anyone to push me towards another brand on a Pentax site, but honest feedback would be so helpful!
There are fast-focusing Pentax lenses, including the DA 55-300mm PLM (which focuses almost instantly), and DC lenses, which are also quite good. If you want to shoot a lot of action, perhaps APS-C would be the better route, as it would help keep your kit more compact and give you more bang for your buck. Getting a full FF kit for $2000 might be a bit of a stretch.

My recommendation would be the Pentax KP, with the 55-300mm PLM for action and the 16-85mm for landscapes and everything else. This comes in at $1900 (new) and will deliver some of the best image quality currently available in the APS-C world. If your current lenses don't cover this already, you could add the DA 50mm for portraits and low light shots for another $100. If you want to invest in faster lenses, you could alternatively opt for the K-70, which delivers the same image quality and AF in non-metal body.

The 55-300mm PLM is unique in the Pentax lineup when it comes to AF speed, and I highly recommend it if you decide to go with Pentax. Check this out: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews

If you go with another system you'll have less money left over for lenses, since both the Nikon D7500 and D500 (which has an insane AF system) are more expensive than the KP. However, one alternative which you might enjoy could be the D500 plus the Nikon 16-80mm. The combo runs $2500 after rebate, but it also delivers pro-level AF. I wouldn't go with Canon crop bodies because they lag behind Pentax and Nikon in terms of raw image quality, IMO. A third alternative might be mirrorless.

If you still prefer full frame, a kit fitting within your budget would likely consist of either the K-1 w/ the D FA 28-105mm (this is what I use for most casual shots), or the D750 with the 24-120mm.

Nikon D500 DSLR Camera with 16-80mm Lens 1560 B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Next focus on taking photos of your kids when they are interacting or doing things. Kids running around are generally not going to produce wonderful images. Having good high ISO performance so you can get photos in low light or to stop down further is going to more valuable than having advanced AF tracking. The main negative with Pentax is their video capability, but DSLR suck at video anyway. Mirrorless with an electronic viewfinder is the way to go there. Unfortunately they are not that affordable. Have a good budget for lenses. All cameras a quite capable, its the glass that make most of the difference.
03-19-2018, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the information! The KP seems like a great candidate. When I picked up these lenses a while ago from a buddy that was "liquidating" his camera stuff, he had a K3-II. Would that be one to consider as well?

These are the Pentax lenses I currently have (or the ones I find I use the most):

SMC Pentax-DA 2.8 40mm Limited
SMC Pentax-FA 1.8 77mm Limited
HD Pentax-DA 4 15mm ED AL Limited
SMC Pentax-DFA Macro 2.8 100mm WR

03-19-2018, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 on everything Adam suggested. You mention you have a "good amount" of Pentax lenses. Were they film era lenses or APS-C glass for your older K100D?

In trying to decide how to best spend $2000, the main question is how much is needed for better optics because youʻre upgrading to a better (or bigger) sensor? Upgrading your lenses (if needed) will have a much bigger impact than upgrading the camera. Therefore, depending on how much you need to budget for the lenses, that will determine if you can afford a KP or K70. (The K1 could be an option if your budget was closer to $3k).

I have the luxury of shooting both Pentax and Nikon, and can vouch that the D750 is a great camera. But it was new in 2014 and is due to be replaced by Nikon. And unless youʻre willing to either sell all your Pentax gear to switch to Nikon, or plan on periodically buying more Nikon lenses over time, staying with Pentax makes the most sense. Again, the idea is that you make long term purchases of great lenses, and then over time upgrade your camera that works with those lenses.

Thatʻs me, anyway. Most folks just buy the camera with a kit lens and get very good results for 4-6 years and then upgrade to the latest camera with a new kit lens.

And my perspective on auto focus? I learned to shoot action as a pro before AF existed with rolls of 15-36 exposures. When Minolta first came out with AF, I was ridiculed by my peers like as if I had a focusing disability. Faster and more accurate AF in 2018 is nice, but I never blame the technology for missing the shot. Whatʻs most important to me in an AF lens, is the ability to quick shift and tweak the AF manually.

---------- Post added 03-19-18 at 01:31 PM ----------

When I picked up these lenses a while ago from a buddy that was "liquidating" his camera stuff, he had a K3-II. Would that be one to consider as well?

These are the Pentax lenses I currently have (or the ones I find I use the most):

Can you live without a built-in flash? The K70 flash is a bit stronger than the KP flash, and the K3 II has none. Thatʻs an excellent collection of primes. If I were you, Iʻd go the KP route with perhaps a 16-85mm zoom for convenience and WR.
03-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
+1 on everything Adam suggested. You mention you have a "good amount" of Pentax lenses. Were they film era lenses or APS-C glass for your older K100D?

In trying to decide how to best spend $2000, the main question is how much is needed for better optics because youʻre upgrading to a better (or bigger) sensor? Upgrading your lenses (if needed) will have a much bigger impact than upgrading the camera. Therefore, depending on how much you need to budget for the lenses, that will determine if you can afford a KP or K70. (The K1 could be an option if your budget was closer to $3k).

I have the luxury of shooting both Pentax and Nikon, and can vouch that the D750 is a great camera. But it was new in 2014 and is due to be replaced by Nikon. And unless youʻre willing to either sell all your Pentax gear to switch to Nikon, or plan on periodically buying more Nikon lenses over time, staying with Pentax makes the most sense. Again, the idea is that you make long term purchases of great lenses, and then over time upgrade your camera that works with those lenses.

Thatʻs me, anyway. Most folks just buy the camera with a kit lens and get very good results for 4-6 years and then upgrade to the latest camera with a new kit lens.

And my perspective on auto focus? I learned to shoot action as a pro before AF existed with rolls of 15-36 exposures. When Minolta first came out with AF, I was ridiculed by my peers like as if I had a focusing disability. Faster and more accurate AF in 2018 is nice, but I never blame the technology for missing the shot. Whatʻs most important to me in an AF lens, is the ability to quick shift and tweak the AF manually.

---------- Post added 03-19-18 at 01:31 PM ----------

Can you live without a built-in flash? The K70 flash is a bit stronger than the KP flash, and the K3 II has none. Thatʻs an excellent collection of primes. If I were you, Iʻd go the KP route with perhaps a 16-85mm zoom for convenience and WR.
Yeah, I can live without a built-in flash. I have a external flash that I carry in my bag. Don't use it much but it's there for when I need it so that's not really a deal breaker. I think since I have pretty good Pentax lenses already, you are right, I think economically it makes the most sense to stick with Pentax.

If I don't need (require) any additional lenses right off the bat, I suppose I'm looking at either the KP or the K3 II then. Not sure about the K1 or K1 II but if I hold off on adding any lenses they are both within my budget.
03-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP seems like a great candidate. When I picked up these lenses a while ago from a buddy that was "liquidating" his camera stuff, he had a K3-II. Would that be one to consider as well?
You have an excellent Pentax kit, with some really nice top shelf glass.

The K-3II is my current APS-C camera along with a K-1. Although a little dated at this point the K-3II is still an excellent camera. You should compare the K-3II and the KP to see what features you prefer. The KP is newer and has some nice features but not everything the older K-3II has.

03-19-2018, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Theres a PLM 55-300 listed in the buy/sell section 3 hours ago.A nice fast focusing lens to compliment a new KP!Along with...
03-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I suppose I'm looking at either the KP or the K3 II then. Not sure about the K1 or K1 II but if I hold off on adding any lenses they are both within my budget.
Pentax KP vs Pentax K-3 II Detailed Comparison

Keep in mind that the KP is just over one year old whereas the K3 II was released in 3 years ago in 2015. My new camera barometer tell me that the next Pentax APS-C to be released possibly this year would be the K3 II replacement, which means the K3 II price will drop and/or you may want to consider the new K3 III.

Whatʻs problematic for the K1 is that only half your lenses are full frame and the other two youʻd have to shoot in crop mode. If you had more of a budget for something like the DFA 28-105mm ($500) or DFA 24-70mm ($950), then go for it.

If you are itching to buy sooner than later, then just look at the pros and cons of the KP vs. K3 II.
03-19-2018, 01:22 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

K-3 et al

We recently started a family, and my desire to capture the special moments is one of the driving factors behind wanting to upgrade my camera.
I would keep the Flash at the top of the Bag . You might get the Grease Lightning Version of Kids ! All with Flash.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 08-07-2018 at 04:29 AM.
03-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

2 thoughts -

is a new K 3 II of interest

B H is continuing its deal where you pay $7.00 over the price of the K 3 II alone and get the battery grip plus the K 3 II $836

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1358285-REG/pentax_k_3_ii_dslr_camera.html

don't forget the deal available if you buy from the forum's sponsors

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/97599-fre...opaz-labs.html

I have a standard response so here I go again

since you live in the US, you have the opportunity to spend $ and get a hands on trial of the equipment you want

if you didn't know it, there are companies that will rent you equipment.

I am not sure how many there may be but I know that

one is borrowlenses.com

another is lensrentals.com which is the one I have used before

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

it ships the items to your home or a Fed Ex locale of your choice, you use it and then return it to them

I recommend getting the highest " protection " program they sell just to be safe

they are now taking "pre release" reservations for the K 1 II

have fun
03-19-2018, 10:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Your list of lenses is an excellent one! Their design and very high caliber would definitely be ideal for befitting the design of the KP, for sure- compact with very high-quality build and imaging. The compact, superb-quality Limited lenses was one of the major considerations Pentax had in mind when designing the KP. The KP also delivers outstanding results for low-light and higher ISO use, which is also essential for fast-action shooting.

You already have some truly outstanding fast lenses, especially the FA 77mm Limited, and other fine-quality lenses, so Adam's suggestion as to zoom lenses, such as the DA 16-85mm and the DA 55-300mm PLM telephoto zoom lens, both featuring WR, along with the KP, would round out your equipment most sensibly.

However, I do have two alternate suggestions other than the DA 16-85mm. The DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR lens would be great for kid shots. I have one, and it is my versatile go-to. Its AF is unusually fast and accurate, and its zoom range is very versatile. It is also very compact, yet well-built, which is perfect on the KP. If you need a faster f/2.8 shorter zoom lens, I can recommend the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC. I recently acquired one and I am very pleased with the results I'm getting, and with the overall quality of the lens. Nice, quiet AF but no WR. B&H is running a very good price on it at this time, which I found attractive.

Just be sure to engage Fine Sharpening in the custom Image menus for both the default "Bright" and the "Natural" categories for best detail in your images, then putting the camera back on "Bright" for all-around use. And be sure to get a couple of extra batteries for the KP! (they are small)

Last edited by mikesbike; 03-19-2018 at 10:51 PM.
03-20-2018, 06:33 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you for all of the suggestions and information. I really appreciate it. I feel like I definitely have a wealth of information here to make the right decision.

Do you guys often carry a zoom lens in your bag if you have prime lenses that cover that range? For example, when I shoot landscapes, I tend to go immediately to my 15mm limited. If I'm looking to do pictures of my kids or portraits, it's usually the 40mm or 77mm limited. I guess I'm concerned I might render existing lenses obsolete or that I might not use a zoom lens within those ranges as much.

I do know I want something with more reach, I have the 100mm macro lens, but I haven't played around it as much as I should have so I don't know what it's entirely capable of. For the longest time I thought I might want a 300mm prime lens to go with my others, but having the convenience of a zoom would definitely be a nice change of pace.
03-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The 55-300 PLM is not speedy aperture wise but is amazingly quick at focusing, and is not extremely heavy which makes it a great choice for either current APSC model. I just purchased a KP and it is amazing with any of the Limiteds you list and the 55-300 PLM also.
Good luck in your choice, since if you go KP or K-3II you still have money for more nice glass while staying under budget! What a wonderful problem to have!
03-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Do you guys often carry a zoom lens in your bag if you have prime lenses that cover that range? . . . .

I do know I want something with more reach, I have the 100mm macro lens, but I haven't played around it as much as I should have so I don't know what it's entirely capable of. For the longest time I thought I might want a 300mm prime lens to go with my others, but having the convenience of a zoom would definitely be a nice change of pace.
I'm a newbie

iMHO how much you would use a prime vs. a zoom is a question only you will be able to answer

I " over pack " and will carry numerous lenses which with the zooms will over lap

the primes are generally " faster " and thus better for certain situations while the zoom offer quick versatility of course

if you are curious my cameras and lenses are listed in my profile

I have 9 total, 3 zooms, 6 primes, 2 star lenses and one limited

all but one Pentax, and the one that isn't is my only manual focus lens

I have the DA * 300mm as well as the D FA 150 - 450mm both bought "experienced " but in " like new " condition

I like them both

another option for adding " length " but at the cost of an F stop is the 1.4 rear converter

Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

these threads will let you look at what others have done with those various lenses

DA* Club

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/73997-da-club.html

The 300mm plus lens Club discuss your long lenses.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/55946-300mm-plus-lens-clu...#ixzz5AJ5yU4xK

Post your HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW pictures!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/294721-post-your-hd-penta...#ixzz5AJ6F3JXH

Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/257619-pentax-hd-pentax-d...lens-club.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-20-2018 at 09:27 AM.