Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #1

Would You Buy a Q

I have an opportunity to pick up a 2012 Q. Are these cameras worth buying? it comes with 2 lenses not sure yet on the small one but also comes with a number 6. I realize it is not as advanced as todays mirrorless cameras but will it take decent pictures. What would you pay for one?
Thanks for you opinions

03-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had one for awhile and sold it. I often debate getting another one. It was a darn nice little camera. For value check ebay sold listings for a good estimate.
03-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Personally I wouldn't- there are all-in-one compacts with better image quality, video, and pocketability. YMMV of course. One big appeal of the Q is the interchangeable lens aspect, which allows you to get some pretty crazy reach.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2018, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam is right about many of the all-in-one choices being better these days. But the Q is still fun and it lets you play with some interesting D and C mount lenses.

03-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a Q10 kit a few months ago (with the 02 and 06 lenses). The camera was a display model with about 50 clicks and still had the plastic on the screens. It is such a convenient and fun camera I'll likely have it until it dies and I can't replace it. I do want to add the 01 lens just to make it pocketable. There are better cameras for image quality, but the versatility keeps me carrying it frequently.
03-20-2018, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Albums
If you are looking for better image quality, the Q7 or Q-S1 would be the ones to go for, although the original Q is beautifully built. I have a lot of fun with mine and it is a very capable camera. Best lenses are 01, 06, and 08. 02 is useful.
03-20-2018, 05:19 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I would buy a Q7 (or QS-1 if it was a good deal), in-fact I am in the market for one. I just want another one as backup since it doesn't look like they will be continuing with them. But not an original Q (which I also have) -- IQ is quite a bit better on the newer ones with bigger sensor. The 01, 06, and hopefully the 08 (got one on the way) are quite good lenses. There are other options of course, but I like using the Q with the K lenses and the Q-K adapter with its own shutter -- something I'm not gonna get with another brand.

03-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Jatrax gave you the best way to determine value. I had an original Q, it was fun but not the best camera. I bought a used Sony a6000 last summer which doesn't seem that much larger, but has an APS-C sensor, and there are some pancake like lenses that make it pocketable, more so than the Q.
03-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #9

Original Poster
I have been reading some old threads on the Q. Very interesting indeed. Here in Canada the price for this camera is $280.00 CND so about $214.00 U.S. I was looking for a compact camera that was easy to use, takes great pictures and pretty good video. I would like to use this camera while out on my quad, fishing, hiking canoe. Basically outdoor stuff and bumping into wildlife .
What do you suggest, Maybe I should look for a different camera.
03-20-2018, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Unregistered User

An original Q is a great way to get a cheap long telephoto setup: a 100mm adapted lens gives the equivalent FOV of a FF 560mm lens. You can go even longer, but it becomes hard to hand-hold.

That said, I think the Q7 and Q-S1 are better cameras, in many ways, but maybe not for your needs.

You probably want a weatherproof, ruggedized camera for your outdoor work.

I've got 4: 2 Q7s and 2 Q-S1s, and I use them all the time with a wide variety of lenses, native and adapted, from 2.7mm to 300mm, but I probably wouldn't take them on a canoe trip.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 03-20-2018 at 06:30 PM. Reason: more info
03-20-2018, 07:07 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

I have a Q and a Q7 and use them more than any of my other digital cameras. They are compact, convenient and provide excellent image quality. A couple of weeks ago I traveled to North Dakota and the Q7 came along in a very small bag along with the 06 and 02 telephotos, a charger, two extra batteries and a couple of memory cards.. They do everything I need a digital camera to do and I rarely even use my larger cameras anymore.

I have enlarged and printed up to 13x19 but only a couple of times. it takes a pretty sensational picture to go that far but the camera is capable if the photographer does his/her part.

Not everyone uses these cameras in the same way that I do but if you travel light, need a very capable and compact kit, then this may just be the set up you need.

This one for example would probably enlarge and print quite nicely. Or with a little more work could be turned into a stunning little black and white print if you preferred. This one was grabbed this weekend in the hills above town with the little prime after a bit of snow. Even downsized a bit to fit onto this forum I think it illustrates very nicely what this camera is capable of.

Last edited by Pioneer; 03-20-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: typo and explanation
03-20-2018, 07:17 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Some say the Q-system has died. But did the Q System really die?

After all, it evolved as far as the Q7 in both a "Complete Kit" before the 08 was developed, and a "Premium Kit" after the 08 was available for the set. That's two top-line, full kits, when most camera models never get a single "premium" treatment of any sort. I bought the Complete Kit and the 08 a la carte. I still have my very small Q-bag always at the ready. It's a go-to tool.

Q7/08 is one of the most interesting lens/body combinations ever made. The idea of a 17.5mm (eq.) lens of that size is astonishing. After they produced the 08, there was no need for a prime 20mm or 24mm (eq.) prime. And the 01 "normal" was 40mm/f1.9 (eq.) on the Q7, so there was no need for a 35mm (eq.) either.

And the 06 lens? -- 70-210mm (eq.) constant f2.8! And size matters, but it this case, it is super SMALL size.

I don't feel the Q System died. I think it triumphed and lives on in the hands of those who saw how to use it. If you failed to get at least the Q7/01/06/08 set, much less either of the two premium kits, you missed a really great and unique Pentax product.
03-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter

If I could get one to do 1 or 2 minute exposures I'd get one for astro stuff for the long reach.
03-20-2018, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Another quick example from this weekend with the 02 zoom. I don't think the light was exactly right for this one but I think the camera and lens did pretty well.
Attached Images

03-20-2018, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #15

Photos: Gallery
yes.
Here is why:
Mattias Burling gives the Pentax Q and Qs1 a big thumbs up - PentaxForums.com
Look at the video, read the comment, you might understand why the Q is still desirable nowadays.