Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Personally I wouldn't- there are all-in-one compacts with better image quality, video, and pocketability. YMMV of course. One big appeal of the Q is the interchangeable lens aspect, which allows you to get some pretty crazy reach.
The all-in-one compacts may be better in the mid range for static subjects,
especially given the relative weakness of the 02 kit zoom
(at close distances or at its long end),
but the Q system is still unrivalled for compact wide-angle and telephoto,
or when you need its leaf shutters to avoid jello.

And once you put a fish-eye adapter on one of the compacts,
you're not going to get the image quality
of a properly focused 03 fisheye on a Q7 or Q-S1.

03-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you looked here? Pentax Q - PentaxForums.com
03-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love my little Q. It's so small and handy to take anywhere.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
03-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #19
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
I have been reading some old threads on the Q. Very interesting indeed. Here in Canada the price for this camera is $280.00 CND so about $214.00 U.S. I was looking for a compact camera that was easy to use, takes great pictures and pretty good video. I would like to use this camera while out on my quad, fishing, hiking canoe. Basically outdoor stuff and bumping into wildlife .
What do you suggest, Maybe I should look for a different camera.
In multi-day backpacking and extended canoe trip w/ many portages weight is always an issue, and the Q (I have the original Q) works well for me--but only with an optical viewfinder. I have no problems w/ Q not being weather proof, but I don't do white water. For me the Q is mainly about size/handling--and I use small non-zoom lenses, usually the 03 and 04 (having a fisheye is very useful). And for single images, I don't print larger than 8"x12".

03-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
If I could get one to do 1 or 2 minute exposures I'd get one for astro stuff for the long reach.
Try setting multi exposure to 30 seconds and average 4 shots. Voila, 2 minutes.
03-20-2018, 09:44 PM - 6 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Q7 is small enough to get past the strictest security guys at live music gigs.
You'll struggle to get shots like this with any other pocketable camera:

So it's a YES from me

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-20-2018 at 09:49 PM.
03-20-2018, 10:42 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

A big YES from me, I have all the Q's and all the lenses and the K Mount adapter, all in pocketable sizes which I can take with me everywhere. No camera with me = no photo. The system is amazing

03-21-2018, 02:26 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
I have an opportunity to pick up a 2012 Q. Are these cameras worth buying? it comes with 2 lenses not sure yet on the small one but also comes with a number 6. I realize it is not as advanced as todays mirrorless cameras but will it take decent pictures. What would you pay for one?
Thanks for you opinions

I'd get the Q7 and above.
Better/larger sensor, wider FOV with some lenses.
Better AF

I disagree with those saying that we need to compare with a mirrorless or newer compact.

Used with a F*300; you probably need to have some horse meat with you and get close enough with that shiny new compact.

I had a choice of carry a "serious camera with macho UWA" (in the deepest baritone voice) or the Q7 and the 08 wide.
Having to haul up the gear 80km up into the mountains on my bicycle made the choice easy for me......

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Some say the Q-system has died. But did the Q System really die?

After all, it evolved as far as the Q7 in both a "Complete Kit" before the 08 was developed, and a "Premium Kit" after the 08 was available for the set. That's two top-line, full kits, when most camera models never get a single "premium" treatment of any sort. I bought the Complete Kit and the 08 a la carte. I still have my very small Q-bag always at the ready. It's a go-to tool.

Q7/08 is one of the most interesting lens/body combinations ever made. The idea of a 17.5mm (eq.) lens of that size is astonishing. After they produced the 08, there was no need for a prime 20mm or 24mm (eq.) prime. And the 01 "normal" was 40mm/f1.9 (eq.) on the Q7, so there was no need for a 35mm (eq.) either.

And the 06 lens? -- 70-210mm (eq.) constant f2.8! And size matters, but it this case, it is super SMALL size.

I don't feel the Q System died. I think it triumphed and lives on in the hands of those who saw how to use it. If you failed to get at least the Q7/01/06/08 set, much less either of the two premium kits, you missed a really great and unique Pentax product.
Really well said and sums up my thoughts exactly.
There is really very little one needs in the system for the real deal (ie. taking photos).
The rest is just spec chasing and trying to keep up with the Joneses
03-21-2018, 03:22 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. The Q system is essentially complete.

I have the 03 fisheye, 08 wide zoom, 01 standard prime, 07 pinhole and 06 telephoto zoom.

If I want a macro I can put my DA35 Limited on the adaptor and I have the equivalent of a 100mm with 3:1 magnification.

If I want super telephoto I can snap the moon with the DA*300, or smuggle the DFA100WR into the cricket.

03-21-2018, 04:32 AM   #25
Pentaxian

If it is a good deal, go for it. From th sidelines, I am sceptical about the small sensor but the samples in this thread look pretty good.

I scratched my small camera itch with a Samsung NX100. The APSC sensor delivers the goods and the retractable 20-50mm kit zoom means that it fits into a car glove box, laptop bag or a coat pocket. I like it so much that I am looking out for a 50-200mm to go with it.
03-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

If I want a macro I can put my DA35 Limited on the adaptor and I have the equivalent of a 100mm with 3:1 magnification.
Thanks! This is a very smart tip!
03-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Q7 setup isn't my every day camera but it's a really great backup when I don't have the space for larger camera gear or for places where I can't take a larger camera, I won't get rid of mine.

---------- Post added 03-21-18 at 12:17 PM ----------

My Q7 is small enough to get past the strictest security guys at live music gigs.
You'll struggle to get shots like this with any other pocketable camera:
Fantastic shots Sandy!
03-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #28
Pentaxian

The Q system is essentially complete.
Complete in the sense of "That's all, folks!", maybe,
but we're missing the 09 telephoto macro!
If I want a macro I can put my DA35 Limited on the adaptor
That kind of setup is the workaround we are left with,
but it doesn't give the speed and convenience that the 09 would have offered.

A truly complete Q system would have opened up the new genre of "action macro".
03-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Complete is one thing, but once they stop making bodies & lenses the system slowly dies. (Which is why I want to have an backups.) Cameras don't last like they used to.
03-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #30
Pentaxian

We are taking our Q with us this summer, instead of T's K-5 kit. It will save a lot of weight and be a lot more portable. We are seriously trying to get down to a single carry on portages.