Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2018, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Got my K3 in today after 6 years shooting with a K5!

Hey folks I finally "upgraded"to a K3, picked up on the cheap here in the marketplace from a member that took great pride in it and really impressed me with his packaging skillz.
I am the type of person who never buys the first run of anything, especially when it comes to photo equipment. I like to sit back and let others here in the forums try the various items out for me, then when the next shiny new thing comes out and they gotta have it, I just sit here and snatch up the current item that they dump for pennies on the dollar. I paid $395 for this K3, which is a whole lot better than the $1300 release price they were asking for when the camera was new. that is what I did with the K5 and it has served me well.
I have only fiddled with it for about an hour and have noticed the vast improvement in focusing over the K5, other than that one main difference I am really liking the dual card slots and the total feel of the camera as a whole, I feel it will serve me like my trusty K5 did all these years(6). however the K5 will remain a huge part of my gear, as it still takes great shots and is still trucking along solidly, however its status/duties will be mostly backup body and non focus intensive purposes. for example I will use it mostly for the wide angle shots and macro as well, it still has a lot of life left in it. I may also start training my daughter with it, she is showing some interest in photography.
now.......does anybody here selling a battery grip for the K3?

03-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K3 is a significant upgrade on the K5. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
03-21-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure you will enjoy the K-3 and get much use out of it. I still love mine and see it with years more good use out of it. Congrats!
03-21-2018, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi BirdDude. Glad you liked it. I totally forgot that on the EXIF setting, I forgot to remove my name. I'm sure you don't want to upload the pictures you've taken into Flickr and to only see that it was "taken by Dave Le".

And for the battery grip, I would recommend creating a wanted post here, Wanted Items - PentaxForums.com

03-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Hi BirdDude. Glad you liked it. I totally forgot that on the EXIF setting, I forgot to remove my name. I'm sure you don't want to upload the pictures you've taken into Flickr and to only see that it was "taken by Dave Le".

And for the battery grip, I would recommend creating a wanted post here, Wanted Items - PentaxForums.com
glad you remembered, however I already changed it, I completely went through the whole menus and ran across it. thx.
03-22-2018, 01:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also went from a K-5 to a K-3(II) and the improvement was significant in that it allowed the lenses to perform at their best. Handling between the two is very similar, and I wouldn’t part with the K-5. Never been a fan of grips with APS-c cameras; makes them too bulky, and I rarely shoot portrait mode anyway.
03-22-2018, 04:20 AM   #7

Congrats mate. I am exactly the same as you with regard to waiting for the bugs to be ironed out. I have just,today, ordered a KP after ten years of shooting a K10d. Can’t wait for it to arrive!!

03-22-2018, 05:21 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I could be causing the OP a problem

I hope not but temptation is always out there

B & H is still offering its deal ($836.00 ) on a new K 3 II + battery grip where you pay $7.00 over the base price they want for the K 3 II alone

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera with Battery Grip Kit B&H Photo Video

if anyone is tempted don't forget the benefits you earn if you use the forum's method of buying from B & H

FREE Marketplace Access if you shop at B&H, Adorama, or Topaz Labs - PentaxForums.com

I decided in November that the deal was good enough that I retired and sold my K 5 II + grip and took the deal from B & H

so now I have both the K 3 and the K 3 II plus their battery grips
03-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I also went from a K-5 to a K-3(II) and the improvement was significant in that it allowed the lenses to perform at their best. Handling between the two is very similar, and I wouldn’t part with the K-5. Never been a fan of grips with APS-c cameras; makes them too bulky, and I rarely shoot portrait mode anyway.
I am the opposite with the grips, my camera feels naked without the grip on it, plus I like how it balances out with heavier lenses on it, I have large hands too and need a place for my pinky finger to hang on to. However there are times when I want to travel light, so I just take off the grip, mount the good ol'trusty 18~135mm lens, install my Peak Design belt clip on it and I'm good to go.
I also like having that extra battery inside the grip, there are times when that one thing alone saved my arse.....

---------- Post added 03-22-18 at 08:02 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by David Cook Quote
Congrats mate. I am exactly the same as you with regard to waiting for the bugs to be ironed out. I have just,today, ordered a KP after ten years of shooting a K10d. Can’t wait for it to arrive!!
I was tossed up between the KP and the K3(really like the classic look to the KP) but I am happy for the choice I made with the K3, it functions so similar to my K5, that I had the whole camera mastered and set up within an hour, now it feels like a part of me just like the K5 does, I go to what ever button I need to intuitively. if I was coming from a K10D, then I would have considered the KP over the K3

---------- Post added 03-22-18 at 08:11 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I could be causing the OP a problem

I hope not but temptation is always out there

B & H is still offering its deal ($836.00 ) on a new K 3 II + battery grip where you pay $7.00 over the base price they want for the K 3 II alone

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera with Battery Grip Kit B&H Photo Video

if anyone is tempted don't forget the benefits you earn if you use the forum's method of buying from B & H

FREE Marketplace Access if you shop at B&H, Adorama, or Topaz Labs - PentaxForums.com

I decided in November that the deal was good enough that I retired and sold my K 5 II + grip and took the deal from B & H

so now I have both the K 3 and the K 3 II plus their battery grips
That is a heck of a good deal, however I am learning that I am better off buying used, when it only costs me $395 for the body I'm not so bummed if there ends up something wrong with it as opposed to something that cost twice that(but the warranty is nice) besides I will use the on board flash more than I will ever use the GPS. and I would never use the pixel-shift....just seems like a gimmick to me(gonna have to do more research on that subject. I actually looked for a K3 over a K3II.....B&H don't carry those anymore...
nonetheless that is still a killer deal on a fantastic camera body and grip

Last edited by BirdDude007; 03-22-2018 at 08:13 AM.
03-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It was a few years ago for me, but this is what I remember thinking back.

800 ISO was the highest "safe" range on the K-5. I dialled that back to 640 on the K-3.
If you shoot a lot of images like sunsets with wide dynamic range, the K-3 was a step back from the K-5.

The 8 FPS and 23 shot buffer of a K-3 is to die for compared to any other Pentax body.

At up to 400 ISO the K-3 images are very cropable. More crop room than a K-5, easily.

At over 400 ISO, cropped to the the same MP, the images are the same as a K-5 for noise.

The K-3 is a great companion camera for the K-1 should you ever get one. They both have strengths the other can't match.

My wife Tess shoots mostly landscape and macro, and still uses her K-5. You'll find the K-3 overkill for many day to day shooting type activities, but last time I picked up a K-5, it seemed so unresponsive and clunky, I could barely bear to use it. I was planning to keep it as a back up, but buying a K-1, the K-1 in crop mode is my back up and is better as a K-5 than a K-5 is. I sold the K-5.

It was definitely time to move on. Now if I could just convince my wife it's time for her to move on.
03-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went to my usual Cars and Coffee this Saturday with my *DA 16mm~50mm mounted on my new K3 on a shoulder strap, and my K5 with my Sigma 8mm~16mm lens, and mounted on my belt via Peak Design quick release tether. What i really like with this set up is the fact that i dont need to change lenses, and when i need the K5 it comes out of my belt tether and back again so easily and smoothly. My K5 shoots with the same IQ as my new K3, in fact some shots were a bit nicer, im still feeling out my K3 but i am very happy with it so far, it feels like the two cameras compliment each other.