Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
? to enter for A Series lenses on the K10D

When you use an A or earlier series lens on the K10D you have to enter the focal length on startup.

Do you enter the standard focal length or the effective focal length?

I can't find anything in the manual specifically saying one way or the other.

I also can't find anything that says if this even matters.

Thanks in advance,
joe

02-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure it's the standard focal length

It matters because shake reduction is likely to blur your photos if you enter a focal length greater than the actual one. As strange as that may sound, it's true- I've experienced it myself.

I was once out on a shoot with my A* 200mm and A 50mm/1.2, and after taking some tele's with the 200, I snapped on the 50 (my first time using it, and also my first experience with such a fast lens) and started taking sample shots. In anticipation of superb image quality, I browsed through the images and found every since one to be blurred. After much confusion, I decided to try turning SR off, and that did the trick. I later realized that the focal length was still set to 200mm...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Where the heck do you enter the focal length?
02-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #4

On my K100D, it asks for the focal length when I turn it on after mounting a manual lens.

02-22-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
Where the heck do you enter the focal length?
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Brown Quote
On my K100D, it asks for the focal length when I turn it on after mounting a manual lens.
And if you ignore the prompt, you can always change it in the menu. The entry is on the very bottom of the first tab.

Artyste: This only applies to manual lenses

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-23-2007, 03:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You enter the standard focal length. As an added note. If you are using a tele extender enter the total focal length. ie; 200mm lens with a 1.7x TC enter 340mm in the SR prompt.
02-23-2007, 07:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

"When you use an A or earlier series lens on the K10D"

with an A on the aperture ring it doesnt ask.. it knows.. without the A u have to tell it.. the camer will only ask when its turned on if SR is on.. if not it wont ask..

if the lens is a 200mm lens u tell it 200mm..

at least this is how my k100 does it..

trog
03-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
Forum Member

I just got my Pentax-M SMC 50mm F1.7... so I enter focal length of 50?

03-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, that sounds right.

Adam

03-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #10

Yes, you enter the true focal length. Which is interesting on a zoom lens, you might have to re-enter the focal length if you zoom way out or way in.

Too bad the A zooms can't tell the camera what the focal length is. Even the A primes prompt you for the focal length when they're on the A setting. I would have thought they'd tell the camera the focal length, but apparently they don't.