Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2018, 12:06 PM - 5 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Praise for the Pentax KP

One of my favourite YouTubers, Mattias Burling just posted a new Pentax-related video on his channel.

After his very thoughtful and nice look at the Pentax Q, the turn has come to the Pentax KP. And he has a lot of interesting and worthwhile things to say about it. I actually think it's the best video review/essay I've seen so far.

Go have a look

03-27-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking forward to the sport version of the KP.
03-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Looking forward to the sport version of the KP.
Unlikely to happen... that's clearly not its design mandate. Great camera, though, especially in the IQ department
03-27-2018, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I just saw this review today too.
Nice review and the reasons to get one is very practically laid out, imo.
I like his muted review style over many of the more boisterous style reviews out there.

Maybe since he mentioned the KP as an alternative to mirrorless.
Take the KP, remove the mirror and add an EVF instead.... instant Mirrorless KP with less development money!
Would it be smallish enough to get market share?

03-27-2018, 06:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I like his muted review style over many of the more boisterous style reviews out there.

Take the KP, remove the mirror and add an EVF instead.... instant Mirrorless KP with less development money!
You'd need a FF sensor in it. Essentially a small K-1II without any video capability and few small FF lenses. As an APSc MILC I think it would fail - just too big - despite the plethora of fine HD DA Limited and * lenses. And the review sites (except Imaging Resource) would absolutely hate it..
03-27-2018, 11:21 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

They tried that approach with K-01. Didnt work out well.
03-28-2018, 02:45 AM   #7

Wouldn't the K3 successor be considered the sporty version of the KP, not considering the size?
It should have the same or higher IQ (otherwise, why bother?), plus the K1II improvements, and the sporty features that are missing from the KP.
03-28-2018, 04:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
They tried that approach with K-01. Didnt work out well.
The K-01 also looked like something you would purchase for a child under the age of 10. Instead of making it look like a modern Spotmatic they made it look like something for babies.

I don't know how much the styling hurt sales of the K-01 but I personally think that it had a negative impact.

03-28-2018, 06:17 AM   #9
Bui

Yeah I think the limitation lies in the K-mount it self. In order to retain K-mount, the supposed mirror-less KP would have to be unusually thick (like the K-01), therefore negating a significant advantage of a mirror-less camera, plus it would look funny and unbalance. In order for a real mirror-less, the mount needs to change, and you have that already in the Q.

Having said that, the KP is really a cool and classy camera to me. I have owned it for nearly 6 months and am still in the process of learning how to fully use it to its full potential.

Only real weakness which is sometimes annoying is the battery life.
03-28-2018, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote

Only real weakness which is sometimes annoying is the battery life.
As I see it, KP is Pentax alternative to APS mirrorless.
Battery life, it's like mirrorless cameras.
I've just try it with the little grip, maybe I buy it.
03-28-2018, 12:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

To me, the KP is a perfect fit for street/documentary style of photography.
03-28-2018, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

My longest-time, most extensive DSLR experience is with the Pentax K20D, K-5, and K-5 IIs. Battery life with these models is excellent. However, I have no major battery qualms regarding my KP. Since the batteries are very small, I just have 1 or 2 spares along, that 's all. The idea behind its design is like the Pentax Limited lenses- very high quality combined with compactness. The smaller batteries work into that concept. I think the video is a good and true representation of the KP.

Although the video demonstrates the KP's design concept very well, it does not also reflect on how by use of its optional battery grip, the KP can also be expanded for heavy-duty use, and with large lenses.
03-28-2018, 02:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

To me, a viewfinder is essential and so is K-Mount. I'm not interested in buying new lenses to fit a MILC and if I was going to, I would probably look at Canon or Sony. My loyalty to Pentax (in part) is 30+ years of K-Mount lenses.

I'm sort of due for an upgrade and I'm still waffling on KP vs K3. I think that I have mostly ruled out K1, though I think it's an awesome camera. I'm not sure I need full frame and I want something that I never hesitate to bring along because of size. I got really excited about KP when it came out, but I wasn't as enamored after handling it, just from an ergonomics perspective. I should get hands on one again, though that requires travel for me, unfortunately. No one stocks Pentax in town. Occasionally there will be a demo day.
03-31-2018, 12:38 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I like the KP. I like the image quality it produces. I like the way it looks, especially the retro style. If I hadn't bought my K-3II in 2015 I'd have gotten one now. A handsome and capable beast I'd say.
09-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mattias is my favorite too. Even reviewers have their favorites