Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Random K20D Questions

The K20D is starting to wet my appetite a bit and maybe pounce after Photokina when prices drop / a new model comes out. have a few questions if someone can help, hope they're not too dumb

K20D raw conversion
-If i take my K100D raws and stick them into a K20D, can the K20D process it?
-When changing sensitivity, is there a way to show the histogram?
-Any way to modify curves / apply funny EVR to a RAW file?
-White Balance can it use one of the memorized wb settings?
-Any way to select a grey wb point from the screen?

Exposure Compensation
-does using the Exposure Compensation on Av, Tv mode reset the ISO to base? this really pissssses me off on the K100D
-how does Exposure Compensation work in TAv mode? If the camera decides ISO 400 and i ask for EV +1, will it give me ISO 800?
-if i set an exposure in TAv mode but the scene is too bright, what happens?

AF
-how much better than the K100D? is it faster / more accurate / better tracking?

thanks

09-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
The K20D is starting to wet my appetite a bit and maybe pounce after Photokina when prices drop / a new model comes out. have a few questions if someone can help, hope they're not too dumb

K20D raw conversion

*I don't know about these questions

Exposure Compensation
-does using the Exposure Compensation on Av, Tv mode reset the ISO to base? this really pissssses me off on the K100D

*Doesn't reset on mine

-how does Exposure Compensation work in TAv mode? If the camera decides ISO 400 and i ask for EV +1, will it give me ISO 800?

*Yup!

-if i set an exposure in TAv mode but the scene is too bright, what happens?

*It will try to lower the ISO, else it'll overexpose

AF
-how much better than the K100D? is it faster / more accurate / better tracking?

*This I can't confirm, but I have read that it does

thanks
Underlined my answers. I hope this helps!
09-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks soccerjoe
09-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

K20D raw conversion
no, unfortunately the k20d is a dick and if you put in photos from other cameras, images from your computer, or images taken ouit of the camera and processed, it will just come up with a big gay question mark.
You can memorize three fine tuned white balance settings, in kelvin or mired figures. The white balance on the k20d is AMAZINGGGG. you can take a picture with the wrong white balance, then when you change the white balance it will show the last shot you take. Then you adjust the white balance until it looks ok and you can save a corrected version of the shot, from RAW. This means you can take a shot however and then work out the right camera settings afterwards.
answered a couple for you there. the rest i dont understand.

09-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks isaac
sucks that it won't do the K100D raws, would save me a lot of time on the computer

to elaborate on the other questions
-i know there's the choice to change the sensitivity or the exposure, but will the camera show the adjusted histogram after changing the sensitivity?
-can the dynamic range enlargement be applied to the raw file
-in raw pp, a lot of times there's the choice to pick a grey white balance point but i don't think that's available here...

-as for the curves question, i think the K20D has different profiles besides natural and raw that will alter the overall tone of the photo
09-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

thanks isaac
sucks that it won't do the K100D raws, would save me a lot of time on the computer
I can't imagine why you'd rather do your raw procesisng the camera than on a computer. My understanding is that the RAW processor built in to the camera is *extremely* primitive, not to mention extraordinarily cumbersome, even compared to the relatively primitive & cumbersome Pentax software. Can't do any favors for your battery life, either. If there is any advantage at all to doing your RAW processing in the camera, I can't begin to guess what it would be.
09-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
speed ... so i don't have to be in front of the computer as much
usually i don't have to do a lot of tweaking anyways

09-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If there is any advantage at all to doing your RAW processing in the camera, I can't begin to guess what it would be.
Some people don't like computers. Some people think that any in-camera processing is authentic, and that computer processing is cheating. Some people like instant gratification. Some people REALLY love to fondle their cameras.

Meanwhile, my K20D didn't seem to have problems with importing images. I've shot with a Minolta Dimage F300 (modded for IR) and stuck that card into the K20D, which then displays the pictures.
09-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

thanks isaac

-can the dynamic range enlargement be applied to the raw file
Yes. It works with both JPEG and RAW.