Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #1

The feel of the camera

The more I use my K100D, the more I love the feel of it. The way it generally operates makes me feel it was designed by people who love photography. I love how much the mode dial harkens back to the mechanical SLR days. It feels less like a computer than my Canon P&S cameras and I feel that is inspirational from a creativity point of view.

I can't recall the last time I came into possession of an item that made an better impression on me over time.

02-23-2007, 01:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I know the feeling. Owning my film SLR was nice, but just too expensive to use. I now love getting the camera out and just feeling it in the hands, it fits so well and everything is where it should be, to me.
02-23-2007, 02:48 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
When people ask which camera to buy one of the first things I tell them is you have to compare how the camera feels in your hand. I know the feeling you both have, when picking up my camera I love how it feels in my hand. I tried a lot of film slr's and the one I always chose to shoot with and buy was a Pentax. and the reason being I loved the way it felt in my hands.
02-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess that the old Pentax advert "Just pick up a Pentax" still rings true in many ways.

02-23-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Picking up a Ds for my first time when it first came out was fun, that was what really got me back into Pentax. I liked Fuji and Nikon D-SLR's, but as soon as I picked up that Ds, everything changed.

When I finally could afford to buy my K100D and picked it up for the first time, it was almost like meeting an old friend again. The K100D didn't lose much of what the Ds had.

To me, the vibration from the mirror slap, the quick combined sounds of that slap, the aperture tightening for the shot, and the shutter "click" all sound very mechanical, but it inspires me to shoot more. It makes everything that much more satisfying.
02-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
I guess that the old Pentax advert "Just pick up a Pentax" still rings true in many ways.
When did they run this campaign? You think that Pentax should re-hash it and try running it again?
02-24-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

the second i had the k10d in my hands, i know it was engineered to fit right in my hands....LOL

when i picked up the one with the grip, forget it, i wanted to run home with it.

all seriousness, the k10's fit and feel is what really sold me to it (ergo's coming a close third) it felt so much better than the D-200 (which i was already pretty much going to get)

2 days later, i pre-ordered it, less than a month, i own it....
02-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Brown Quote
The more I use my K100D, the more I love the feel of it. The way it generally operates makes me feel it was designed by people who love photography. .
I know just what you mean, Tom. I also love the ergonomics of my DS2 (as I did my MX and LX bodies years ago); it felt . . . . perfect . . . . . . after only a few minutes of use. In contrast, my K10D feels relatively clunky; I've owned it since late November and still have to "adjust" to it every time I pull it out of the bag. Many have a far different opinion of the K10D, which demonstrates that we're all built and wired a little differently.

Jer

02-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
In contrast, my K10D feels relatively clunky; I've owned it since late November and still have to "adjust" to it every time I pull it out of the bag.
It used to be that way with my K100D. But ever since I put hand strap on, it fits and feels like a glove. Before it was uncomfortable since I was used to steeper handle around which to wrap my fingers, but with strap I can carry and shoot constantly for about an hour before I start noticing the weight and have to start adjusting myself the the camera.
02-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Forum Member

the K10D feels great in my hands after I put the battery grip onto it, now it's just a bad center of gravity, almost any lens aside from my 50mm or 24mm will cause it to tip forwards. That and it is a heavy SOB. But it still feels great in the hands. I also like the feel of the Nikons, and cannot stand the feel of the Canons... but that's just me. Feel is obviously highly subjective...
02-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #11

I like the ergonomics of my K100D also. Can someone tell me more about the handstap? Who's it made by, link to website, etc.

Thanks, BobG