Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I had thought the aperture block issue had been resolved in the K70,
As far as I know it has been, but a nagging little voice in the back of my mind says someone posted they had it with a K-70. The really irritating thing for me is, I don't know, can't find the post, maybe I'm just confused.

Last edited by normhead; 04-01-2018 at 05:55 PM.
04-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just something to bear in mind, this aperture block thing - if it happens out of warranty - can be repaired by replacing *one* solenoid.

04-02-2018, 12:49 AM   #18
Pentaxian

As far as I'm aware the solenoid/aperture block problem affects all of the following models:

K-30
K-50
K-70
K-S1
K-S2

The reports of failure in the first two in that list are far more common than reports of the other three but that may be because the newer ones are better (though still suffer from the fault to some degree) or, I suspect more likely, because the K-30 and K-50 were available more cheaply or for more time and therefore simply sold more units.

Anyway, it's a disgrace that the problem has been around since 2012 (6 years!) and apparently hasn't yet been corrected. You could convincingly argue that this is more of a fiasco that SDM.
04-02-2018, 12:57 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I would recommend the K-3. It is just such a nice camera. Has more functions than you will ever use and in terms of ergonomics, it is very comfortable to hold and use. It just exudes a feeling of quality when you hold it and the image quality is superb.

If your budget is a bit restricted, I would also recommend the K-7. The ergonomics are exactly the same as the K-3 and the image quality is also superb. For around $200 you can have an excellent DSLR.

Some people complain about it's high ISO performance but realistically how many photos are you going to be taking at 3200 ISO? In most cases you always want to use the lowest possible ISO to maximize image quality.

Last edited by Theov39; 04-02-2018 at 01:07 AM.
04-02-2018, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I killed my K-3 early last year so went back to using my first DSLR the K-50. The plan was to replace my K-3 when its successor hit the shelves. Was rumored it may happen before years end. Well we all know it didn't work out that way. Didn't want to wait any longer so decided to choose between the KP and K-70. I have no good answer to why I didn't consider another K-3 other than that it was an "older" model. Still wanting to get the next aps-c flagship I decided to hold back a little money and get the K-70 which at the time was close to $400.00 less than the KP. Difference is closer to $300.00 today I believe. Was looking for body only. I have no regrets on my purchase of the K-70. A lot of bang for the buck. I am not computer savvy but have searched and not found one report of aperture block failure on a K-70. Lots of people asking about it but have not found anyone answering "Yes. My K-70's gone belly up." Obviously that could change at any moment. I did buy a 55-300PLM so both my K-50 and K-70 are covered just in case. A great lens by the way IMHO. Decisions like this are rarely easy to make. Good luck.

Last edited by DW58; 04-02-2018 at 02:59 PM.
04-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The KP's grip will take the Li90's... but that was not one of your choices you wanted to consider if I recall.
Interesting. .. I did not research kp's grip at all. But I haven't made a choice yet. Zeroed in on k-3ii with free battery grip but my k-5iis are serving me so well I still haven't felt the need. But if k-p's grip takes li90s then it is back in the game. I will wait for a free battery grip deal on k-p.
04-03-2018, 06:14 AM - 4 Likes   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice folks. I took the leap and ordered a K70.

First impressions - a tiny bit deeper on the grip than the K-S2 so fits more into my hand (still not on a par with my K-r though) but otherwise feels/behaves just like my K-S2. Keep casting my eye over the K3 though ...

Anyway, one of the first pictures below taken with the 18-135 - appropriately enough the first tulips of the season over here. Never know we had snow on the ground 24 hours earlier!

Attached Images

04-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations! Looks like you're off to a fine start with your new K-70.