Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K200d LCD monitor adjust - sharp vs soft?

I noticed that as the camera is displaying the recently-taken picture in the LCD monitor, the quality of the displayed photo is initially soft, then (I assume as it's further processing) sharpens. My issue is that I much prefer the quality of the softer photo display over the much sharpened final image display, especially in daylight conditions. I can't seem to find a way in the menus to adjust the quality of the photo display on the LCD monitor other than brightness. Can a softer image be dialed in on the LCD monitor? If so, help is appreciated. Thanks.

09-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #2

It's like that because imaging processor needs few moments to adjust picture to LCD size. So picture is soft because it's not processed yet and sharp one is how it actually looks
09-05-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
It's like that because imaging processor needs few moments to adjust picture to LCD size. So picture is soft because it's not processed yet and sharp one is how it actually looks
Fair enough. But on to my original question. Can the image in the LCD monitor be adjusted?
09-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #4

No in that way, you can only adjust brightness of screen.
K20D can adjust colors and hue...

But, while speaking of brightnes... It seems to me that on K10D picture looks best when brightness is set on +2. So it looks most like picture on my LCD monitor (calibrated via graphic card software). Anyone noticed something like that? That is, LCD screen of K10D is slightly underexposed

09-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
No in that way, you can only adjust brightness of screen.
K20D can adjust colors and hue...

But, while speaking of brightnes... It seems to me that on K10D picture looks best when brightness is set on +2. So it looks most like picture on my LCD monitor (calibrated via graphic card software). Anyone noticed something like that? That is, LCD screen of K10D is slightly underexposed
Indoors, I find 0 is about right, and in really bright outdoor conditions, have used +3 to good effect. +2 might be a good all round compromise.
09-06-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

can u apply this to the k200d too?
thks
geoff
09-09-2008, 05:46 AM   #7

I also don't like the over sharpening of the image on the K200D LCD monitor. The same over sharpening happens using video out to display on a TV. I have used another camera to display the images on its monitor and with video out and they look better.

There is another DSLR (not Pentax) that has had a firmware upgrade that fixed, amongst other things, "part of the image looks unnatural when reviewed on the LCD".

Is there a way to influence Pentax to fix this with a firmware upgrade, assuming that is what is required?

Incidentally, I am very happy overall with my K200D, so this would be a bonus if it was resolved.