Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 09:40 PM   #1

An Answer to a question and a question.

Some people have been asking about using Pentax screw mount lenses on their *istDs; yes you can but you need the Pentax Mount Adapter K, mine has part number 30120, and it works fine with all my screwmount lenses, even a massive 300mm telephoto.
You CANNOT use DA lenses on film cameras as the images from these lenses are smaller than those of the screw mount lenses and DO NOT FILL THE 24x36
FRAME in the camera.:ugh:
Now my question: what is "BOKEH"? I just have not come across this term until recently, and I hate being ignorant of technical terminology. My dictionary doesn't help either.

02-22-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bokeh (pronounced boah-kay) is what we call the out-of-focus rendition of a lens. Generally, the smoother it is, the better.

Also, let me add that the DA 40mm pancake does work on 35mm film bodies because it's nearly identical to the M 40mm in optical design. None of the other lenses do, however

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by granitic Quote
-snip-
Now my question: what is "BOKEH"? I just have not come across this term until recently, and I hate being ignorant of technical terminology. My dictionary doesn't help either.
Bokeh can be used for short for "the quality of the rendering of the out of focus areas".

Examples:

"I think this picture has good bokeh" equals to "I think the quality of the rendering of the out of focus ares in this picture is good".

"Ouch, that's some harsh bokeh!" equals to "Yikes, the OOF areas in this picture are really rendered in an ugly way" (=bad bokeh obviously, meaning that the OOF areas are distracting and thus lessens the value of the picture as the subject gets less attention, the eyes are dragged away from what the real subject).

Thinking of bokeh this way let's you avoid traps. "What a lot of bokeh" or "Is this bokeh?" or "Bokeh example:" are all examples of a slightly wrong way to use the word.

A lens capable of rendering the OOF areas nice and smooth can be said to have good bokeh. This is often the same as rendering the OOF areas in a way that lets the beholder look at the picture and not think much about anything else in it but the subject, a picture with one technical flaw less.

All this in my humble opinion only of course.
02-23-2007, 02:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So in a lens, are more aperture blades better or is less better (given that sometimes less is more )

02-23-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Generally speaking, more aperture blades will generate smoother bokeh. Lesser blades tend to show more of an octagonal pattern.
02-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Generally speaking, more aperture blades will generate smoother bokeh. Lesser blades tend to show more of an octagonal pattern.
Or a hexagonal pattern.

To the OP - since the guys posted what bokeh is, you might want to see some. The 50mm lenses were known to produce some really good samples. Here's the thread I opened asking people here to post some up.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/3260-show-me-some-m-50-1-7-1-4-shots.html

Cheers!