Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #1

Judging IQ using an LCD monitor?

A while ago, my Sony 21" monitor blew up. I loved that monitor. It displayed very smooth images.

I picked up a 26" flat panel to replace the Sony tube the same day I picked up a K100D kit.

Excited about the new camera, I started taking shots as soon as I had the monitor connected. Of course, used a DVI-D cable and cranked up the resolution.

The first images out of the camera were underwhelming, to say the least. I've since sought out image sharpness and have achieved it with a new lens and setting the sharpening back to default. This camera setup is astounding to me.

I've been wondering, however, how fair it is to judge image sharpness with one of these modern LCD flat panel displays. With 800:1 contrast ratio and digital pixel rendering, these things are hyper-revealing of image detail.

I've always found the images from my Canon S410 to be brilliant and sparkling but going back through them with this new monitor, they still seem beautifully smooth but they don't sparkle anything like the way they used to. They certainly don't demand my attention like the stunning detail of images taken with the K100D/DA40.

I suspect I wouldn't have the DA 40 lens right now if I were still using the Sony monitor.

I wonder if it's even valid to judge IQ with one of these monitors. I love the prints made from S410 sourced images and those prints are not going to change. Do you suppose all this extra detail the Pentax system provides will be revealed in 5x7 prints? Have I pursued something that is irrelevant?

02-22-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

get it calibrated...i did, and images looks way better
02-22-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Brown Quote
A while ago, my Sony 21" monitor blew up. I loved that monitor. It displayed very smooth images.

I picked up a 26" flat panel to replace the Sony tube the same day I picked up a K100D kit.

Excited about the new camera, I started taking shots as soon as I had the monitor connected. Of course, used a DVI-D cable and cranked up the resolution.

The first images out of the camera were underwhelming, to say the least. I've since sought out image sharpness and have achieved it with a new lens and setting the sharpening back to default. This camera setup is astounding to me.

I've been wondering, however, how fair it is to judge image sharpness with one of these modern LCD flat panel displays. With 800:1 contrast ratio and digital pixel rendering, these things are hyper-revealing of image detail.

I've always found the images from my Canon S410 to be brilliant and sparkling but going back through them with this new monitor, they still seem beautifully smooth but they don't sparkle anything like the way they used to. They certainly don't demand my attention like the stunning detail of images taken with the K100D/DA40.

I suspect I wouldn't have the DA 40 lens right now if I were still using the Sony monitor.

I wonder if it's even valid to judge IQ with one of these monitors. I love the prints made from S410 sourced images and those prints are not going to change. Do you suppose all this extra detail the Pentax system provides will be revealed in 5x7 prints? Have I pursued something that is irrelevant?

hope I can help answer your question.

as far as sharpness goes with LCD.... LCD has a lot more contrast then a typical CRT, more edge contrast from the LCD makes images APPEAR sharper then they might appear on a CRT or are in real life

a average LCD can only display aprox 16,700 colors and a newer CRT can display millions of colors, sometimes billions depending on your graphics card.
To buy an LCD that is CLOSE to the same colors as a CRT cost in the thousand++ of dollars
On a CRT therefore different graduations of colors are smoother (because there are more colors). you would be supprised how many colors a person can see.
CRT also allows for smoother graduations of greytones.
LCD have less details in shadows then CRT.
colors are more accuate in CRT monitors.

am I saying a LCD sucks? not at all. you just have to know the differences so you can judge a print displayed on LCD then your old 21" CRT monitor
LCD takes up less space, is easier on the eyes and some people prefer the look of the high contrast images it produces.

out of all the new technologies out there (plasma, LCD, etc) CRT is still the standard that all these technologies shoot for. all have advantages and disadvantages

the sparkle that your images from the s410 might have been loss due to some of the factors I meantioned above. (going from CRT to LCD)

if you have 100 dollars or so, buy a monitor calibrator and that will improve the colors on both LCD and CRT.
even better I would run a dual monitor set up, one being your LCD and get a good used CRT with the calibrator for mission critical work.

just some food for thought

cheers

randy
02-22-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
get it calibrated...i did, and images looks way better

glad it worked well for you, JoN!

cheers

randy

02-23-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

"I've been wondering, however, how fair it is to judge image sharpness with one of these modern LCD flat panel displays. With 800:1 contrast ratio and digital pixel rendering, these things are hyper-revealing of image detail."

they are very good for judging image quality.. too good.. but when u look too closely at any picture u will see its flaws..

they should look okay fullscreen but not perhaps fullsize on a very large montitor.. mine is only a 20 inch wide so i dont quite have your probem.. but any problems and i see them.. he he

trog