Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2018, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Colors

I know that I'm going into dangerous territory here, but...

Have any of you used multiple systems and found the Pentax to produce the most pleasing colors out of the camera? I know that with color profiles and adjustments in post there are very few "real world differences" when it comes to colors, but there is something about the colors I'm getting from Pentax that I find really pleasing. i've only used one Pentax camera and lens (see signature) so I'm far from an expert, but I like the straight out of camera output with my Pentax combo the best of any I've used. I'm not sure if it's the camera, the lens or both. I also feel like the straight out of camera contrast is the best of any I've ever had as well. The color green in particular looks really nice (to my taste) in my Pentax photos.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the subject.

04-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I've had that impression for a long time, even though the rational part of me believes colors can be adjusted so much that it's silly to claim any camera has a fingerprint.

On the matter of Pentax color, though, it's beyond any doubt that pixel shift renders more accurate color.
04-05-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Like all things i think it really depends on the subject. Usually i find that the pentax images add just a tad bit too much magenta for my liking and i always need to dial it back. Outside of that though, i completely agree when it comes to the greens, really nice tones with out too much saturation.

04-05-2018, 11:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In another recent thread, I shared this link where you can compare up to 4 different cameras, change it from RAW to jpeg, adjust the ISO, or in the studio scene, move to a different close up area. In RAW, the Pentax colors are more vibrant. To a lesser degree, each is shot with a similar prime lens, which will also affect color rendering.

Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

04-06-2018, 12:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
In another recent thread, I shared this link where you can compare up to 4 different cameras, change it from RAW to jpeg, adjust the ISO, or in the studio scene, move to a different close up area. In RAW, the Pentax colors are more vibrant. To a lesser degree, each is shot with a similar prime lens, which will also affect color rendering.
The problem is that Raw selection is still a processed image converted so that you can see it, and that is done using a converter and the color depends on that converter and its profiles.
04-06-2018, 12:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
The problem is that Raw selection is still a processed image converted so that you can see it, and that is done using a converter and the color depends on that converter and its profiles.
True, but wouldnʻt DPReview, especially if trying to be objective, process/convert all the images in the same way so there is at least a relative comparison?
04-06-2018, 12:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
True, but wouldnʻt DPReview, especially if trying to be objective, process/convert all the images in the same way so there is at least a relative comparison?
From my understanding they just use the standard processing ARC and profiles

04-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
From my understanding they just use the standard processing ARC and profiles
I believe this is correct.

---------- Post added 04-06-2018 at 08:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Yes, I've had that impression for a long time, even though the rational part of me believes colors can be adjusted so much that it's silly to claim any camera has a fingerprint.

On the matter of Pentax color, though, it's beyond any doubt that pixel shift renders more accurate color.
I haven’t tried pixel shift yet, but it definitely seems to be an amazing feature.
04-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
found the Pentax to produce the most pleasing colors out of the camera?
Very little other camera use - Canon point and shoots from years ago. The Pentax is much newer and overall image quality, including colors, is generations better. Of my two Pentax cameras, at low ISO, i like the CCD picture colors better, and my DA 17-70 lens seems to produce great colors, moreso than the other lenses. This is likely subjective, I'm thinking. I mostly shoot jpeg and at base camera settings, so camera processing adjustments are part of that as well.

This is an off-topic comment, but I have wondered if post processing can change virtually ANYTHING about a digital photo to have it be what one wants. Some say that some lens characteristics cannot be duplicated in post processing, but I don't have the gears nor the skill to determine that for myself.
04-06-2018, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

The intrinsic color properties of a camera are primarily determined by the designs of the R, G and B color filters on the sensor. Those filters determine the color response of the camera in terms of the RAW RGB outputs of the sensor for each wavelength of light. The choice of chemical dyes in the CFA (color filter array) determine the spectral boundaries between red, green, and blue as well as determining how much cross-talk there is between the colors (e.g., the "red" and "blue" pixels are not entirely insensitive to green light). The thickness or density of the materials determines the color saturation albeit at a cost of reduced overall sensitivity. The lens, the glass cover/filter on the sensor, and the sensor itself also modulates the color response.

Unless two cameras have identical CFAs, they need to use different parameter values in converting from RAW RGB into a viewable RGB image.

Moreover, if two cameras have different CFAs, it is mathematically impossible to make their images look identical across every possible color and color combination. For example, the two cameras might have intrinsically different dividing lines between red, orange, yellow, and green such that any attempt to make one camera's yellows a bit more greenish like the second camera causes the oranges of the first camera to be too yellow compared to those of the second camera. The effect is even stronger when comparing pure colors (a true yellow wavelength of light) to blended yellow (made of an additive mix of red and green light) such that it may be impossible to make both cameras render both yellows identically.

Last edited by photoptimist; 04-06-2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typos
04-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Like all things i think it really depends on the subject. Usually i find that the pentax images add just a tad bit too much magenta for my liking and i always need to dial it back. Outside of that though, i completely agree when it comes to the greens, really nice tones with out too much saturation.
I always have trouble with over-saturated reds, both with my newer CMOS sensors as well as the older CCD sensors.
04-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I always have trouble with over-saturated reds, both with my newer CMOS sensors as well as the older CCD sensors.
Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

I'm getting too much noise on my K3II with ISO up to 5000 in low light. in this tool(link above) i can see the improve of the quality of the KP sensor....