Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2018, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Software support for Pentax needed!

I wish I could put a bug in the ear of Pentax that would incessantly tell them to deliver software support. All they have is a very lame K-1 plugin for Lightroom - pitiful.

For example, ZWO makes astrophotography CCD cameras. They range anywhere from $200 to over $2000 - body only. One thing I noticed is that a lot of people are switching to this maker. Why? Because they have software support and their stuff works with Wndows, Mac and Linux. Why? Because they took the trouble to port all their software to all these platforms. Why? because they want to sell there stuff!!!!!

Why is Pentax so delinquent in this regard. Not only have ZWO released drivers for their cameras but they've included 3rd party applications with their products. There's a real synergy going on with ZWO's efforts. They pay 3rd party software developers to support their product, distribute 3rd party software and both businesses grow.

Pentax could grow its business significantly by following this paradigm. Why do most new astrophotographers buy Canon? Because virtually all applications have support for it.

Get off your butts Pentax!!! The Pentax K-5 is probably the best DSLR one can find for Astrophotography, but few use it because there's no software support! I'm not even talking about applications. If only they would write drivers so 3rd party applications could include it as a supported device. For example, if they wrote an ASCOM driver for windows and an INDI driver for MacOS and Linux. They would instantly be supported by most of the astrophotography applications out there. Damn - they could pay me and I'll write the damn software for them! I even attempted it at one point but gave up because they don't even publish an API!

Why is China the economic and industrial powerhouse that it is. Because they work their asses off. Get your ass in gear Pentax!

04-13-2018, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Your astro interface cause would best be suited by telling them rather than us, right?
04-13-2018, 05:32 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
Pentax could grow its business significantly by following this paradigm.
None of us except Ricoh's management and the Pentax staff knows what the strategy is for their digital photography business, but we can be pretty certain they know what they're doing and why they're doing it. Consider that they may not want to grow the business significantly, but simply maintain the level of business they're currently doing - by updating and releasing products to a steady schedule with a limited number of resources and funding. Low risk stuff in a fairly high risk business.
04-13-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Fully agree, if they do not have the competences, they could let an external company do the job.
This goes for all non camera related software.

---------- Post added 04-13-18 at 07:22 AM ----------

gbeaton, check this: My Pentax wifi remote software - Page 13 - PentaxForums.com
Let's join forces

04-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For example, if they wrote an ASCOM driver for windows and an INDI driver for MacOS and Linux.
While I certainly appreciate your need for something, I have absolutely no idea what any of this stuff is or why anyone would need it. And I suspect 99% of Pentax users would say the same. Which is why there are no whatever it is you need.

Perhaps if you explained what you need rather than ranting in technobabble someone could help? The photography part interests me as it is something I might want to try. But what is it that Pentax does not do already? I thought the astrotracer was designed for this sort of thing?
04-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Why do most new astrophotographers buy Canon? Because virtually all applications have support for it.
Probably the exact reason why doing whatever it is you think they should do would be a hiding to nothing. When a very niche market is cornered by a massive player, why attempt to wade in and spend millions on R&D when you could only hope to gain a small share of a tiny pie?
04-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I wish I could put a bug in the ear of Pentax that would incessantly tell them to deliver software support. All they have is a very lame K-1 plugin for Lightroom - pitiful.
Please define software support. Do you mean an API, drivers for PEF, plug-ins?

Assuming you mean API with SDK...My background is software development and I am familiar with the major camera maker's API support and while better than Pentax*, the offerings are laughable, Canon's in particular**. In short, camera maker's have little interest in having third-party tools messing with their hardware.

FWIW, since Pentax does not make dedicated astrophotography products, ROI for efforts such as your ZWO (whoever they are***) examples would not justify work in that area. Translation: Don't expect special support for niche application.

Steve

* If Pentax supports other than a rudimentary API access via USB, it is a well-guarded secret.

** There is a reason why Magic Lantern is based entirely on reverse-engineered code and why it carries a risk of "bricking" one's Canon.

** Actually a brand of CCD detectors designed to be mated to popular hobbiest telescope models. Being essentially a sensor in a housing with a hardware controller and USB connection, a high level of software support is essential to sell the product. Their software offerings may be viewed at https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/software/. As would be expected for barebones hardware, an SDK is also provided to support API access via USB by third-party tools.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-13-2018 at 11:11 AM. Reason: spelling
04-13-2018, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax is headed in a good direction with the Theta and related software. Hopefully that eventually spills over to the DSLRs as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I suppose i should remove all the exclamation marks in my post. Maybe then it won’t sound like a rant and some people would actually read it before reacting.

There was mention of astrotracer. Imaging the amount of development for that. I would imagine it would dwarf the cost of writing the software drivers I was talking about - and the target is the same, Astrophotography. I would wager that more would have been gained with investment is software.

Still astrotracer is a nice feature that helps the new astrophotographer get into the hobby. And they will probably continue with Pentax after that. But then they will need further software support.

A simple tethering app that can do time lapse or interval control would do for starters. But as I said they don’t even need to do that. Just write a couple of drivers that 3rd parties out there can use.
04-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I suppose i should remove all the exclamation marks in my post. Maybe then it won’t sound like a rant and some people would actually read it before reacting.

There was mention of astrotracer. Imaging the amount of development for that. I would imagine it would dwarf the cost of writing the software drivers I was talking about - and the target is the same, Astrophotography. I would wager that more would have been gained with investment is software.

Still astrotracer is a nice feature that helps the new astrophotographer get into the hobby. And they will probably continue with Pentax after that. But then they will need further software support.

A simple tethering app that can do time lapse or interval control would do for starters. But as I said they don’t even need to do that. Just write a couple of drivers that 3rd parties out there can use.
Certain cameras can tether but the software is not cheap for actual Pentax released software. And if you are using a homebrew for tethering and bork your camera, I suspect that warrantee service will not be an option.
04-13-2018, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A simple tethering app that can do time lapse or interval control would do for starters.
How about a simple wired remote intervalometer? That is what I use for longer than 30s exposures and when I do stacking. Your K-5II supports such. Mine even wakes up the camera before starting the exposure.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-13-2018 at 01:09 PM.
04-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would imagine it would dwarf the cost of writing the software drivers I was talking about - and the target is the same, Astrophotography.
You still have not explained what it is you are looking for. Sorry maybe it is obvious to you, but though I would like to help I really don't understand what you need.

A simple tethering app that can do time lapse or interval control would do for starters.
Interval control is built into the K-1. It was also in the K-3II. And possibly early but I don't know.
04-14-2018, 02:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How about a simple wired remote intervalometer? That is what I use for longer than 30s exposures and when I do stacking. Your K-5II supports such. Mine even wakes up the camera before starting the exposure.

Steve
Yes, I have two of them - three if you count the one that failed on the second night. They are great and easy to use but tethering is required for some more advanced features like remote focusing and plate-solving (to tell the software exactly where a telescope is pointing).

Trust me, I have investigated this issue for the last two years. Although there is PK-tether, its appears to be unsupported now and only works on windows. There are Linux apps that use enthusiast developed software (GPhoto2) but they struggle keep abreast of new camera releases. I am now using Linux based apps just because they do support the K-5 - I had to help them to do that in fact.

My point is that Pentax is kind of doing things old school and losing a lot of potential sales. Only now with the KP have to they started to think connectivity. My other point is that other manufacturers have realized huge market gain by providing software support and working with other companies to support their products. I can see as we speak ZWO overtaking established CCD camera vendors for this very reason. And it only took a year or two.

---------- Post added 04-14-18 at 05:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You still have not explained what it is you are looking for. Sorry maybe it is obvious to you, but though I would like to help I really don't understand what you need.

Interval control is built into the K-1. It was also in the K-3II. And possibly early but I don't know.
Yes, I explained that they could have developed an ASCOM driver and an INDI driver and by doing this Pentaxes would be immediately supported by most of the 3rd party astrophotography applications.

The built in interval control for some reason only goes to 30 seconds. Why this limitation is beyond me. I see no good reason for it and it renders the feature useless for astrophotography.

---------- Post added 04-14-18 at 05:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Probably the exact reason why doing whatever it is you think they should do would be a hiding to nothing. When a very niche market is cornered by a massive player, why attempt to wade in and spend millions on R&D when you could only hope to gain a small share of a tiny pie?
The astronomy and astrophotography business is quite big. It ridiculous how the DSLR has exploded into astrophotography and boosted interest. If Pentax had been on their toes, they would have enjoyed a good market share of that.

---------- Post added 04-14-18 at 05:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Your astro interface cause would best be suited by telling them rather than us, right?
I hope that the chance of them responding to traffic on this website is higher than responding to a email from a nobody.
04-14-2018, 03:35 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I explained that they could have developed an ASCOM driver and an INDI driver
But I have no idea what ASCOM or INDI is. And why should Pentax develop a driver for what is I assume some type of third party software? I doubt Canon or Nikon do this. The third parties develop them to suit their software yes?
The built in interval control for some reason only goes to 30 seconds.
This is not correct. The K-1 will do any interval up to 24 hours, and so will the K-3II
I hope that the chance of them responding to traffic on this website is higher than responding to a email from a nobody.
Your hopes are optimistic. This is not an official Ricoh forum and they have no presence here nor do they respond to anything. If you really are serious you should contact Pentax directly or post on their Facebook page. Nothing you say here is going to be seen by anyone at RIcoh except by accident.
The astronomy and astrophotography business is quite big.
I am sure you think it is and I am sure it is important to you. But to the vast majority of photographers and potential customers it is not even on their radar. Astrophotography, despite the upsurge in recent years is a minor, very tiny niche. Personally I am astonished that Ricoh has developed the astro features of their cameras to the extent they already have. The tools are already built into the newer cameras. I understand you want to use other tools you are familiar with but you should not dismiss the feature set of the K-3II and K-1 for astrophotography. It is IMHO the best of any DSLR currently on the market. Yet you deride Pentax for not supporting some esoteric software I have never heard of. Please take the time to evaluate the tools that are available. You seem much more experienced in this area than most so your opinion would be interesting.
04-14-2018, 04:07 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought that was what you were trying to do, which is why I said what I did. They don't read this. Once upon a time they tried.

You're better off emailing Ricoh Imaging in your country, it's us who see your exclamation mark riddled rant, not Japanese executives.