Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2018, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
A simple tethering app that can do time lapse or interval control would do for starters. But as I said they don’t even need to do that. Just write a couple of drivers that 3rd parties out there can use.
I wish they released the APIs so third parties could make Pentax cameras even more fun to use. But there has been some good reverse engineering done, to some extent.

I have a useful Python script which will wirelessly transfer images to your computer for auto-import to software like Lightroom.
Just set up your intervalometer settings in the camera, and let the computer download the images as they're taken.

There is also at least one another user on this forum that is creating their own complete tethering (control and transfer) software. But I don't believe it works with desktop Apps like Lightroom (i.e. was it mobile device only?). Anyway, contacting someone like that to add features might get a lot quicker and dedicated response than Ricoh.

04-14-2018, 07:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I wish they released the APIs so third parties could make Pentax cameras even more fun to use. But there has been some good reverse engineering done, to some extent.

I have a useful Python script which will wirelessly transfer images to your computer for auto-import to software like Lightroom.
Just set up your intervalometer settings in the camera, and let the computer download the images as they're taken.

There is also at least one another user on this forum that is creating their own complete tethering (control and transfer) software. But I don't believe it works with desktop Apps like Lightroom (i.e. was it mobile device only?). Anyway, contacting someone like that to add features might get a lot quicker and dedicated response than Ricoh.
Yes, even making public the API would be a huge boost and almost zero cost. I have looked and tried myself to implement Pentax tethering but without the API its shooting in the dark.

---------- Post added 04-14-18 at 10:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But I have no idea what ASCOM or INDI is. And why should Pentax develop a driver for what is I assume some type of third party software? I doubt Canon or Nikon do this. The third parties develop them to suit their software yes?

This is not correct. The K-1 will do any interval up to 24 hours, and so will the K-3II

Your hopes are optimistic. This is not an official Ricoh forum and they have no presence here nor do they respond to anything. If you really are serious you should contact Pentax directly or post on their Facebook page. Nothing you say here is going to be seen by anyone at RIcoh except by accident.

I am sure you think it is and I am sure it is important to you. But to the vast majority of photographers and potential customers it is not even on their radar. Astrophotography, despite the upsurge in recent years is a minor, very tiny niche. Personally I am astonished that Ricoh has developed the astro features of their cameras to the extent they already have. The tools are already built into the newer cameras. I understand you want to use other tools you are familiar with but you should not dismiss the feature set of the K-3II and K-1 for astrophotography. It is IMHO the best of any DSLR currently on the market. Yet you deride Pentax for not supporting some esoteric software I have never heard of. Please take the time to evaluate the tools that are available. You seem much more experienced in this area than most so your opinion would be interesting.
Canon provides software development kits (SDK) so that 3rd parties can develop the drivers and applications. To my knowledge Pentax does not. This is the problem, they could just publish their API and a lot would be accomplished without them having to write or release code.

That's great about the K-1 and K-3II (which I have) and it helps but tethering is what I'm really talking about.

I wonder how good facebook would be but I'll give it a try.

You say I deride Pentax and take the time to evaluate the tools... Do you read anything I wrote? Are you just a fan boy who take offence at someone saying Pentax could do better. You've never heard of this... don't know that... Yet you are sure! Sounds like if its not in YOUR interest, its of no interest.

I have 3 Pentaxes and think highly of them and I promote them to others. Pentax has even targeted astrophotography in their camera features and have developed the O-GPS1 (which I also bought) which gives older cameras astrophotography features. If they can spend all this development money on such things, they could spend a fraction of that on releasing their API or directly writing their own drivers. They are not such a small company, never have been, selling their products world wide for decades. Don't be such a nay sayer.
04-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you read anything I wrote? Are you just a fan boy who take offence at someone saying Pentax could do better. You've never heard of this... don't know that... Yet you are sure! Sounds like if its not in YOUR interest, its of no interest.
Yep. Read every word. And no offense taken. I actually have an interest in astro so I was really curious. Had you explained what you were looking for in your post instead of using the technobabble I might have been able to be more helpful. You are looking for a SDK? Finally you explain. And no, Pentax / Ricoh does not release those. I was not aware any camera manufacturer did. It was my understanding that all the 3rd party software for Canon like Magic Lantern was reverse engineered. Apparently that is not the case.

But now we know you want an SDK, but sorry I still do not understand why. What are you trying to do with this? Obviously I do not have your immense depth of knowledge in this area so let me ask again what it is you want to accomplish that cannot be done with the built in camera features of say the K-1?

It does appear that Ricoh is releasing an SDK for Theta: Ricoh announces Plug-in Partner Program for RICOH THETA V | Global | Ricoh Maybe that means eventually they will do so for DSLRs as well. Or not. My personal feeling is that the firmware for the DSLRs is old, legacy and not in any shape to be interacted with by third parties. Perhaps as we transistion to newer bodies new code and code management will permit an SDK.

Perhaps if you follow the Theta link you might make contact with someone at RIcoh who could help you more than us silly fan boys.
04-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Trust me, I have investigated this issue for the last two years.
OK, so this really is a rant based on a product not being suitable to a special purpose. Answer? Buy the product that does and don't waste two years doing so.

My point is that Pentax is kind of doing things old school and losing a lot of potential sales.
Ummmmm...can you provide an example of a camera model that is enjoying huge success and sales (say 100,000 additional units) as a result of catering to astro photographers?

I hope that the chance of them responding to traffic on this website is higher than responding to a email from a nobody.
Fat chance. Ricoh does not monitor this site and to the best of my knowledge, our whining about features has never resulted in satisfaction. Your "nobody" status is the same here as with a personal letter.

BTW...glad your astro work is wildly successful.

Steve

04-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I wish they released the APIs so third parties could make Pentax cameras even more fun to use.
Yes, it would be nice, but I am not sure that even matching (deficient) API offerings from Nikon and Canon would satisfy many of the niche desires of some folk. It may seem strange to many of us who write code, but exposing inner workings also creates risk should 3rd-party stuff be poorly behaved or should a hack be engineered.

Steve
04-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Canon provides software development kits (SDK) so that 3rd parties can develop the drivers and applications. To my knowledge Pentax does not. This is the problem, they could just publish their API and a lot would be accomplished without them having to write or release code.
You are assuming that a comprehensive USB-accessible API exists for Ricoh's current hardware architecture* and that it exposes all the features you desire. Canon's SDK is laughable and probably would not satisfy your short list, assuming of course that they offer a body that also works for you.

Steve

* There is a strong design case to limit or prohibit exposure of control functions through I/O channels.
04-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My personal feeling is that the firmware for the DSLRs is old, legacy and not in any shape to be interacted with by third parties.
More likely is that the hardware I/O provided by the (very up-to-date) main processor has intentional system isolation (a firewall, so to speak) to prevent incursion through the USB port.

Steve

04-14-2018, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
More likely is that the hardware I/O provided by the (very up-to-date) main processor has intentional system isolation (a firewall, so to speak) to prevent incursion through the USB port.
Well, considering I'm just an old farmer that hasn't programmed anything since basic on a TRS-80 I will defer to your expertise. I think it would be good if they did release a SDK (or whatever) but I suspect the resources to document, maintain and test that for third party developers is vastly larger than our OP realizes or RIcoh is likely to commit. It is interesting they are working on that for Theta though. My thought was with Theta (being much newer) that they would have used a more maintainable code base and it might be easier to document and release that. But I'm just guessing of course.
04-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
Fully agree, if they do not have the competences, they could let an external company do the job.
This goes for all non camera related software.

---------- Post added 04-13-18 at 07:22 AM ----------

gbeaton, check this: My Pentax wifi remote software - Page 13 - PentaxForums.com
Let's join forces
Thanks @DrawsACircle. Interesting. I tried using a Flu card to give my K-5II similar capability. It worked but not well. The range was only a couple of feet. Not remote enough I'm afraid :-) It seems a good tethered connection is required. As you know, the Kstars and GPhoto2 boys have been doing a good job despite the lack of Pentax support. Hope it works for you with the K-70.

---------- Post added 04-14-18 at 08:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax is headed in a good direction with the Theta and related software. Hopefully that eventually spills over to the DSLRs as well.
Here! Here!
05-17-2018, 03:52 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is what I'm talking about. Good on you Pentax!

Ricoh Releases SDKs for Pentax DSLRs - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
05-17-2018, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish I could put a bug in the ear of Pentax that would incessantly tell them to deliver software support.
Wow! One month from your "bug in the ear" and Ricoh delivers. You really got somebodies attention.
05-17-2018, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! One month from your "bug in the ear" and Ricoh delivers. You really got somebodies attention.
They work fast, don't they!

05-17-2018, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

I wish I could put a bug in the ear of Pentax that would incessantly tell them to deliver software support. All they have is a very lame K-1 plugin for Lightroom - pitiful.
Pentax could grow its business significantly by following this paradigm.

Damn - they could pay me and I'll write the damn software for them! I even attempted it at one point but gave up because they don't even publish an API!
There are five software applications offered by Pentax and four third party programs.
PC Desktop tethering K-1 via WLAN works well - PentaxForums.com

Free SDK is published. So now you can start programming
Four SDKS to be released - PentaxForums.com
05-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sadly they aren’t supporting the k3 and k5, two highly coveted cameras for astrophotography. But I have to say RICOH/Pentax are really impressing now. Maybe another bug plant tho!
05-21-2018, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

FLUCARD works for a bunch of cameras:
  • K-3
  • K-3 II
  • K-30
  • K-S1
  • 645Z

pkTriggerCord supports all cameras between K-x and K-3 II:
  • Pentax K-x
  • Pentax K10D (Samsung GX-10)
  • Pentax K20D (Samsung GX-20)
  • Pentax K200D
  • Pentax K-7
  • Pentax K-r
  • Pentax K-5
  • Pentax K-m / K2000
  • Pentax K-30
  • Pentax K-01
  • Pentax K-5 II / K-5 IIs
  • Pentax K-50
  • Pentax K-3 / K-3 II

PK_Tether is out there too:
  • K-x
  • K-r
  • K200
  • K10D
  • K20D
  • K-7
  • K-5

PKRemote exists too:
  • K10D
  • K20D

Last edited by angerdan; 05-21-2018 at 01:27 AM.