Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Which one would you buy & why

Down the road not to far off this fall I want to but an Pentax camera. I have had several a few years back and had excellent luck with them. I do not want to get into a full frame camera. Of the cameras that are available which one would you recommend? I do mostly wildlife birds lots of lake and river settings old farm houses and car races and car shows and air planes and air races. I like to do all around photography. I will likely buy the camera with no lens and add one at the same time. I guess now its the KP, K3II and ??. looking for feedback on what you would recommend to get with your knowledge on Pentax most likely a fast shutter.

Thanks Bill

04-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #2
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KP has been an eye opener for me coming from a K-50 which had good low light capabilities but the KP is a high ISO monster which allows for higher shutter speeds.
04-14-2018, 08:29 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Unless you're a heavy shooter or are looking to use big lenses, I'd say the KP is the way to go until a K-3 II successor comes out. It has a nice edge in terms of image quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-14-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The KP is the camera I'm wanting to get when prices drop. I like small cameras, and coming from the K-01 it's the perfect upgrade.

04-15-2018, 05:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gold Coast Quote
... I will likely buy the camera with no lens and add one at the same time. I guess now its the KP, K3II and ??. looking for feedback on what you would recommend to get with your knowledge on Pentax most likely a fast shutter.

Thanks Bill
If you have no Pentax lenses any more, higher quality lenses are often bundled with the camera as opposed to kit lenses at a good discount. If you don't want to go top of the line, the K-70 can do 95% or more of what the more expensive KP and K-3 models can do and has the high ISO sensor like the KP as well.
04-15-2018, 05:31 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

have you found the tool which allows you to compare two or more camera bodies side by side

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax K-3 II&c2=Pentax KP&c3=Pentax K-70

look under " Cameras " above where you can also find reviews by users and " in depth reviews " of the camera bodies

if you decide to look for an " experienced " camera check out what is for sale in the forum's market place

I have had good luck there
04-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The KP is the best performer of current models, and is of excellent build quality, has advanced controls, as well as being of compact build design for easier portability. Like many, including myself, your photographic interests are varied, therefore a variety of lenses is likely to be in your future. A lens giving best results for landscape scenics will definitely not be the same one for birding and action telephoto shots.

If you desire a larger, heavier camera with even more on-body controls, by the time the Fall season arrives, the expected K-3 II replacement might be announced, which will also incorporate the advancements of the KP.
04-15-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I do not see where the KP has a remote shutter release cable or IR which I must have????? I can not find anywhere if it does in there online owners manual or any where else that I have looked. I see the K3II does have IR.
Any help appreciated

Thanks Bill

04-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gold Coast Quote
I do not see where the KP has a remote shutter release cable or IR which I must have????? I can not find anywhere if it does in there online owners manual or any where else that I have looked. I see the K3II does have IR.
Any help appreciated

Thanks Bill
" A dedicated cable release (CS-310) that connects to the microphone port can be used with the KP which lacks an infrared port and thus cannot be controlled with the handy Remote F controller (but it can be controlled wirelessly with a smart phone).

Read more at: Pentax KP Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax Remote Control F has worked for me on the K 3 and K 3 II

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-remote-control-f.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-15-2018 at 07:02 PM.
04-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that response. That's what I needed

Thanks again Bill
04-17-2018, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #11
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the UR-232 Tasman by Kiwi Fotos (JJC product) for about 23.00 USD that has the correct size 3.5mm jack that goes into the KP's microphone jack and unless you change the default settings, it will automatically use it as a remote trigger jack instead of a mike. The camera changes automatically when you put a remote trigger in the jack. There sadly is no IR remote with the KP, but the images make it so you won't really care.