Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Does Pentax SR result in more image noise than DSLRs without in-body SR?

I ask because certain Internet pundits have made the claim that the images from cameras with in-body image stabilization (IBIS), which includes all current Pentax DSLRs and many mirrorless cameras, tend to be noisier than images from cameras without it (e.,g. Nikon and Canon DSLRS). One claimed cause of this supposed increased noise is faster heating of the sensor (because the sensor's carrier is thermally isolated from the rest of the camera), which if real would primarily affect video and live-view use of the camera where the sensor readout is constant. Another claimed cause I have read is electromagnetic interference. Of course, no actual evidence is ever provided for these claims nor are the exact mechanisms that supposedly increase noise ever fully explained. There's just a lot of hand waving.

Last edited by Lew Dite; 04-23-2018 at 05:33 PM.
04-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lew Dite Quote
I ask because certain Internet pundits have made the claim that the images from cameras with in-body image stabilization (IBIS), which includes all current Pentax DSLRs and many mirrorless cameras, tend to be noisier than images from cameras without it (e.,g. Nikon and Canon DSLRS). One claimed cause of this supposed increased noise is faster heating of the sensor (because the sensor's carrier is thermally isolated from the rest of the camera), which if real would primarily affect video and live-view use of the camera where the sensor readout is constant. Another claimed cause I have read is electromagnetic interference. Of course, no actual evidence is every provided for these claims nor are the exact mechanisms that supposedly increase noise ever fully explained. There's just a lot of hand waving.
The simplistic answer is: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The vast majority of image tests and qualifications I have seen do not show any increased noise on the Pentax over other cameras of similar sensors. But it isn't always clear if those tests were done with SR turned on or off. Even though the tests aren't always explicit, the sample photos are implied to have been done with SR on when they are outside "handheld" shots. None of these seem to be noisier than those done by the same sensor in non-IBIS systems.
04-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've seen no evidence of this with stills photography (I can't speak for video). If you look at RAW images from various cameras released around the same time, the noise performance is remarkably similar...

EDIT: The point @UncleVanya makes about SR being on or off may have merit... The test shots below were probably tripod based, with SR off.

That said, in normal use I find the noise performance of my K-5, K-3 and K-3II to be excellent, considering the age of the technology.
Attached Images

04-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Some people don't know what they are talking off, or are interested to do harm to other vendors because they are not so happy with their gear.

There is one real advantage of stabilization in the optics, with long lenses the optical viewfinder is stabilized too, but this could be solved when Tamron, Sigma will deliver their long optics for pentax with stabilization still in (hopefully they will do in the future again).

What about
  • Pixelshift. (hasselblad, pentax, olympus.)
  • astrotracing,
  • rotary stabilisation.
  • Sensor shift
Compare Nikon with Pentax both uses the same sensor(type) from sony, and deliver same quality.

For me as an pentaxian, I'll think Pentax do the better job. If there were a need for a change, or a second system (not at the moment) I would take Nikon, none of the others.

04-18-2018, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I ask because certain Internet pundits have made the claim that the images from cameras with in-body image stabilization (IBIS), which includes all current Pentax DSLRs and many mirrorless cameras, tend to be noisier than images from cameras without it (e.,g. Nikon and Canon DSLRS)
Yes this has been proven actually. but it only becomes apparent at extreme latitudes. So unless you are shooting the North Pole or penguins in the South Pole you won't notice it.

it is due to the magnetic pull of the Poles themselves.

Or....maybe not
04-18-2018, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Yes this has been proven actually. but it only becomes apparent at extreme latitudes. So unless you are shooting the North Pole or penguins in the South Pole you won't notice it.

it is due to the magnetic pull of the Poles themselves.

Or....maybe not
You had me for a sec... dang it!
04-18-2018, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
... Of course, no actual evidence is ever provided for these claims .... There's just a lot of hand waving.
Exactly.

04-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
Some people don't know what they are talking off, or are interested to do harm to other vendors because they are not so happy with their gear.

There is one real advantage of stabilization in the optics, with long lenses the optical viewfinder is stabilized too, but this could be solved when Tamron, Sigma will deliver their long optics for pentax with stabilization still in (hopefully they will do in the future again).

For me as an pentaxian, I'll think Pentax do the better job. If there were a need for a change, or a second system (not at the moment) I would take Nikon, none of the others.
If I wasn't shooting Pentax I'd likely be shooting Nikon. I can't stand Canon for many reasons not least of which is the abandonment of the FD mount. (And my Dad worked for them and was treated badly in the 70's whereas Pentax was a great company in the 80's to work for... or so he says!)

As for sensor shift and optical stabilization I like what Panasonic and Olympus have done. They both have cooperative methods that permit optical and in body to work together. Some of the early results were not great but the latest seems to have worked out the kinks largely. If Pentax were to offer this and publish a spec for interoperation that might be helpful but let's face it - any 3rd party lens release with/without Optical Stabilization will be welcomed.
04-18-2018, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I ask because certain Internet pundits have made the claim that the images from cameras with in-body image stabilization (IBIS), which includes all current Pentax DSLRs and many mirrorless cameras, tend to be noisier than images from cameras without it (e.,g. Nikon and Canon DSLRS).
Well, these mavens must have enough skills and brains to post their pictures clearly demonstrating this, right?

04-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, these mavens must have enough skills and brains to post their pictures clearly demonstrating this, right?
LOL - You know claims are often unbacked by data!
Even if they did - one could wonder if the same conditions were used. Did they shoot longer, run long video streams prior to taking the shots compared on one camera vs. the other? The rigour of data collection is not often clear in photographic articles sadly.
04-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Should be easy enough to demonstrate. Simply:
  • Set SR on/off as needed for the test
  • Set the ISO to arbitrary high figure
  • Keep the camera active (ready) while challenging the SR system in a controlled manner in various ways for a given amount of time to get things heated up
  • Take a RAW photo with the lenscap on
  • Process to TIFF using something like dcraw (does no noise reduction or sharpening) and see if one can see the difference
As an additional check, one might also check the EXIF to see how hot the camera actually got.

Steve

(...will give this a try, but only AFTER doing the needful tasks for the day...)
04-18-2018, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Is being able to type and use a Web browser not enough evidence?

Steve

(...love the word maven, BTW...)
04-18-2018, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

BTW...for the OP:

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
04-18-2018, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This sounds like an interesting experiment to conduct since it would basically be trying to see how thermal noise affects the sensor. I might have to conduct an experiment tonight if I can figure out a good set of tests that might produce meaningful results.
04-18-2018, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
This sounds like an interesting experiment to conduct since it would basically be trying to see how thermal noise affects the sensor. I might have to conduct an experiment tonight if I can figure out a good set of tests that might produce meaningful results.
If you go ahead with that, I'd definitely be interested to see the results. There's absolutely no doubt that noise increases with sensor temperature. Astrophotography (and other long exposure) folks are very much aware of the fact...