Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samsung DSLRs may also be discussed here

As you may or may not know, Samsung DSLRs are merely 'rebadged' Pentax bodies, and so are the lenses.

Since some users don't know this, however, and there are obviously a few differences in Samsung stores and camera services. We no longer have a dedicated section for Samsung, however, as it was stagnant for over two years. Thus, all Samsung-related DSLR topics may be posted in our "Pentax DSLR Discussion" section!

Samsung vs. Pentax model names:

GX-20 = K20D
GX-10 = K10D
GX-1L = *ist DL2
GX-1S = *ist DS2

While only some of the SMC Pentax-DA lens series has been released as "Schneider D-XENON" for Samsung, the lenses work interchangeably. Even older Pentax quality glass will work on Samsung!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As you may or may not know, Samsung DSLRs are merely 'rebadged' Pentax bodies, and so are the lenses.

Since some users don't know this, however, and because there are obviousy differences in Samsung stores and camera services, I felt it was necessary to create a forum dedicated to the brand. Samsung owners: use this section to discuss anything about your camera or lenses!

Samsung vs. Pentax model names:

GX-20 = K20D
GX-10 = K10D
GX-1L = *ist DL2
GX-1S = *ist DS2

While only some of the SMC Pentax-DA lens series has been released as "Schneider D-XENON" for Samsung, the lenses work interchangeably. Even older Pentax quality glass will work on Samsung!
I have been on Pentax forums since I bought my GX10 with no problems of any kind, I even call my GX10 a K10 most times. Although its nice to see a forum just for Samsung users I feel because the majority of owners are Pentax that its a much better experiance for the member to be with the majority and not out in the minority, especially since the difference's are so small and trivial; take off the case and everything inside is the same and built in the same place. So what are the benefits?

For example if I have a problem with my GX10 it applies to the K10 as well, would I not have a much better responce posting where thier is a much greater number of members, as far as problems I have yet to see one that applies only to Pentax or Samsung.

Last edited by jamesm007; 09-07-2008 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Example
09-07-2008, 02:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I have been on Pentax forums since I bought my GX10 with no problems of any kind, I even call my GX10 a K10 most times. Although its nice to see a forum just for Samsung users I feel because the majority of owners are Pentax that its a much better experiance for the member to be with the majority and not out in the minority, especially since the difference's are so small and trivial; take off the case and everything inside is the same and built in the same place. So what are the benefits?

For example if I have a problem with my GX10 it applies to the K10 as well, would I not have a much better responce posting where thier is a much greater number of members, as far as problems I have yet to see one that applies only to Pentax or Samsung.
You raise a good point, but this forum is, in my opinion, aimed towards those who do not know Samsung = Pentax when it comes to DSLRs. Of course, anybody can reply in the Samsung sub-forum, even Pentax users.

The only thing remaining is to spread the word and let Samsung DSLR users know that there is a dedicated place for them.
09-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
You raise a good point, but this forum is, in my opinion, aimed towards those who do not know Samsung = Pentax when it comes to DSLRs. Of course, anybody can reply in the Samsung sub-forum, even Pentax users.

The only thing remaining is to spread the word and let Samsung DSLR users know that there is a dedicated place for them.

I believe almost 99% of Samsung owners know their camera is a Pentax, most people research before they buy or have some idea as to what they are buying. So it still stands that its better for the owner to find out they have a Pentax, than isolate them in a forum of their own that has few members compared to the Pentax forum. I really see no realistic benefit, say if I post only down in the Samsung forum, their is a chance many Pentax owners may not view that forum and that is where we all loss by trying to separate what is realistly two brands that are the same camera, with one having few owners compared to the other. So if 99% of persons know their Samsung is a Pentax does the pro's outweigh the con's, ? Again although my opinion I have never seen or read of anyone not knowing the GX## is a Pentax. And if their is a handful in the world that don't know it would be much better for them to find out that it is a Pentax and enjoy a much broader experience with much more users.

09-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
most people research before they buy or have some idea as to what they are buying.
Two words: Canon Rebel.

And I've seen quite a few questions on this forum where people asked if x lens worked on Y Samsung body, so it really does have somewhat of a point. Time will tell if this idea was a valid one or not.
09-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Don't have a Samsung but it is interesting to have a place for their cameras. This could get even more interesting with the hybrid system.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #10 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #11. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now.
09-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, I for one am glad to get the sub-forum listing. Hopefully, most of us Samsung owners will utilize it.

Ray Smith
09-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Forum Member

ADAM - Thank you.

Thanks Adam for having the foresight to create this subsite. As the owner of the Samsung GX20 and the Pentax K10, I think there may be some interesting nuances that deserve discussion from time to time. Most of our die-hard Pentax'ers will not likely be interested in seeing postings about the Samsung SLR's, but those who are will appreciate the one-stop shop for Samsung info. Very thoughtful & appreciated!

09-08-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
Kei

I don’t have a Samsung DSLR but its good to have a separate section for it. This will be the best place to post any Samsung specific questions such as those referring to menu settings or reading the owner’s manual. From what I see the menu interface doesn’t look the same as the Pentax counterpart.

Other posts such as lens choice (especially third party) would be better to go in the main forum, get more audiences and response this way.

Ps: didn’t know Samsung only re-badged the K10d/K20d but not the K100d/K200d until now…..
09-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
I don’t have a Samsung DSLR but its good to have a separate section for it. This will be the best place to post any Samsung specific questions such as those referring to menu settings or reading the owner’s manual. From what I see the menu interface doesn’t look the same as the Pentax counterpart.
what is SO DIFFERENT in "GX20 vs K20D" VS "K20D vs K10D" ? consider Samsung as just another model of Pentax... otherwise why we do not have sections for K20D, K10D and so on... they all have different menus.
09-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #11

It does seem wrong to segregate Samsung users when the cameras are just rebadged anyway but on the other hand they could get more specific answers in here so it could be better for them, time will tell I guess.
09-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlpenTak Quote
It does seem wrong to segregate Samsung users when the cameras are just rebadged anyway but on the other hand they could get more specific answers in here so it could be better for them, time will tell I guess.
if you want a specific answer - just prefix the posting w/ "Samsung"
and how you can mix GX20 and K20D in the question posted ? it is even clearer than K100D and K10D
09-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #13
Kei

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
what is SO DIFFERENT in "GX20 vs K20D" VS "K20D vs K10D" ? consider Samsung as just another model of Pentax... otherwise why we do not have sections for K20D, K10D and so on... they all have different menus.

But K20d menu is an upgrade/expansion of the k10d. Users of K10d can help answer questions related to k20d and vice versa. At least the 2 models are still pentax models and the menu has the identical flow/logic.

From the few pics I saw the menu of Samsung's dslr doesn't look like that of pentax at all. They may be identical in hardware but surely not in the software/firmware department. Imagine questions such as "why my A lens doesn't work on the camera? it keeps blinking F-- on the panel" (This question comes up multiple times the few months I'm here). The solution requires refering to a particular section of the manual and specific settings on the camera. I mean for this type of questions its better to have them in seperate sub-forum.

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
if you want a specific answer - just prefix the posting w/ "Samsung"
and how you can mix GX20 and K20D in the question posted ? it is even clearer than K100D and K10D
Starting new thread with prefix would work, however a GX20 user wouldn't benefit to having first filtering 99 threads of the same question for K20d before seeing 1 for GX20.
09-09-2008, 04:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think its a good idea to have this section.

There are a few things like battery grip that I could find little on in this forum

I agree that even though I am a Samsung owner I feel like a Pentax owner.. my glass apart from the kit is all Pentax.

Two reasons I went Samsung.

1. Great deal was on in Australia with a $200 plus saving.
2. I have a number of Samsung products, TV, Blue Ray and PC monitor . the latter broke down and when I called Samsung they had a replacement delivered to my door in 3 days.. So I am happy with Samsung

My understanding as well is that the installed software is different, so this is another plus for having a different area.

Well done Adam

Neil
09-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Owning a Samsung GX10, I should be happy about the new section. But I hardly see any case, the answer would differ from an answer given in the Pentax section.

Firmware ist slightly different, Body is a little bigger/better for my hands, that's it (afaik).

I'm regularely posting at a mixed-brand german forum (called 'penum.de') and even help from C or N Users is usually sufficient. But anyhow, Adam: Maybe you know something we don't about new Samsung-only-DSLRs ( ) - then this Section will soon make a lot of sense

Nice Pentax-Forum in total! I'm happy to be here!