Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with a lot of John and Beth's points and there are some I disagree with.

But how did we wander into the argument of Ben being our representative or champion and why do we have to resort to name calling? I don't know why I dragged myself into this side-discussion, but I see these arguments as pointless and fruitless.

Ben simply posed a question - do we want a 1.3x crop sensor? All we need to really do is choose whether or not to answer. If you choose to answer - yes or no and an intelligent answer as to why you chose that way. Sure, poke some fun if you wish, this place is supposed to be a place of entertaining discussion.

02-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #32
Site Supporter

If the camera would work with the DA lenses I have it would be okay. Could get confusing switching between two bodies. One 1.3 crop other 1.5. Wouldn't give up SR either. Wonder how much better the quality would be and how much more money? What would be cool is a digital 645 that would crop down to FF35 and with an adapter use our K mount FF lenses. Like my K10D an awful lot. Also like Ben a lot. He is a pro that actually seems to care about photography and people and doesn't mind helping with technique. I have met pros who are not nearly so thoughtful.
thanks
barondla
02-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Yes I want one! The camera must be reasonably priced, 12MP, with SR and retaining full compatibility with existing lens series (A, F, FA, DA and DFA).
BTW. I would like to thank Ben for his contribution to this community. (Yes, I’m a cow headed individual!)
02-23-2007, 10:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Ho-hum; you missed the plate; ball two...

OK, I'll stop name calling-unless it's Mutual. But this

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I haven't read a single constructive post from you in some time. Who elected you the spokesman for the Pentax faithful? No-one - so who is being the uppity arrogant self important snot around here?
does bother me. Either you have been absent, or cannot read, or read selectively without ... These are just threads in the Pentax dSLR forum

These are the first page of Bens starts-start a new thread (past 19 days)

Who Wants a 1.3 Cropped Sensor? Future contact with Pentax
Next Shoot; Self advertisement (Several)
Pentax Synchro X Input; Possible contact with Contact Pentax about a part that already exists--and I pointed him at it after a polite email to Pentax Colorado offered assurances as to applicability.
A Note to Larry re: K10D; Swipe at Askey (Several)
Had a Problem; Rehash front focus issues (Several no search for existing material)
Pentax 16-45 Lens; no difference between primes and zooms (one shooting mode/one situation does not a study make/self promotion and image (Several)
A synopsis of the last two days; Self advertisement-another copy of previous photo
Meeting with Pentax; The big list to Pentax thread
Pentax 12-24 Lens; Another freebee for the PRO
Pentax Wish List; Starting point of the big list

I don't start many threads but I try to participate in some (past four days):

A correction and better info on polarizers
Comments on pricing lenses
Help with body and grip switches
Opinion on Sto-fen from a user POV (one and out for others to add their own)
Opinion on PP from a possible participant (one and out for others to add their own)
Quantification question on an Adobe bashing--the red haired grandson problem (a discussion)
Auto White balance issues (Several posts, another discussion)
Opinion on DNG vs PEF (one and a question)
Macro VS program mode-possible glitch-un founded/normal operation
Researched Lightroom release date for RawShooter 'grandfathers'.

To be honest Ben does participate in some threads he didn't start-but frankly I'm still waiting for some valuable professional advice or information.

02-23-2007, 10:27 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
And Ben, if I didn't want you to represent me, as some here obviously feel, then I just wouldn't bother posting an answer to your question! And I don't even just have 2 letters for my location!!
Clearly you have missed the point of this filament in the thread: Ben doesn't represent you! That's not his role.

Ben is HANDLED, like we will be if we pursue this line of communication--our concerns will be filed in the circular receptacle, they will be ignored because they get seen only by the maid who cleans the HANDLERS room.

If Ben would just shoot pictures of his poofy haired plastic skinned Barbie dolls in goofy silky boxing shorts and foo-foo shirts sporting wool sports socks under strappy dress sandals in provocative poses under ethereal colored lights

and

look good while doing it,

then Pentax can get it's ad and endorsement photos, reach more people with the glitzy look who's shooting Pentax ads and sell more stuff. Economically this would increase demand, then supply and then repeat AND that is our benefit.
02-23-2007, 11:54 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
These 'suggestion lists' are tired, worn-out drivel; a well beaten dead horse. Take the box you got (and paid for) and go out and try to use it---now that's a novel idea.
John, I'll have to assume that by "suggestion lists", you are referring to hardware and not firmware changes. With respect to the latter, I believe that we owe it to each other to at least propose improvements to our cameras and hope that Pentax is listening. If firmware 1.1 at all indicates Pentax's level of responsiveness, I'll continue to share how I think my k10d could move faster and more intuitively.

John
02-24-2007, 12:30 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccallana Quote
Canon's 1D series uses a 1.3x sensor - mainly for their PJ/sports shooters, since its not as high of a pixel count as their 1Ds (full 35mm frame) they can get insane frame rates - the new 1D mk 3 is a 10mp 1.3x sensor shooting 10fps up to 110 jpegs in 1 burst
Placed pricewise at or above the Nikon D200, and less than the new 1.3 $4000 Canon BUT with similar features would give a reason to upgrade along with giving these other companies a run for their popularity.

If Pentax really cares or wants to do what their customers want, then heed the requests on the current K10D issues - specifically the ones that generate 1000's of posts & pro review comments like VPN (vertical pattern noise), and edge sharpness/NR options.

Comments of dismissal of proven issues - by Pentax reps by acknowledging the few imperceptive loud posters in denial makes it seem like they DON'T listen. For example a letter from Pentax customer service:

Email from Pentax Support.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Great they might want to know what we would like in new sensors and cameras, but please stop dismissing what current owners of already sold K10Ds want in a firmware update.

Larry
02-24-2007, 12:52 AM   #38
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=bdavis;30246]
"I agree with you that the more channels of info Pentax gets, the better they will be able to listen to their users. However, I think you contradict yourself a bit, Denis."

Maybe I did not express myself as clearly as I should have.

jfdavis58 did a better job.

"Shoot what you got, experiment, see what works for a while. Then carefully address your needs, the real problems, and the special requirements of your shooting----that they will listen to and that they will respond to."

It was also not my intent to appoint Ben as our rep either. He only asked a question. Why some people got hot under the collar over it, baffles me. If I did not agree with his approach I would not have reply, plain and simple.

Last edited by Denis; 02-24-2007 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Coorection
02-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I would not mind a 1.3 cropped sensor at all.

I already made up my mind in getting 1d mark III and 645D when they are both released into the market.

If Pentax is going to produce a 1.3 camera body, I would stop investing all my money in 645 lenses...

I guess a 1.3 crop sensor or even full frame sensor are probably more handy with protraits and fashion business. Not that helpful for birding shots I reckon.
02-24-2007, 02:28 AM   #40
Inactive Account

Calling someone names does not exactly do you any favours either. I haven't read a single constructive post from you in some time. Who elected you the spokesman for the Pentax faithful? No-one - so who is being the uppity arrogant self important snot around here?

If Ben has the ear of the executives, then thats more than we have. Personally I would rather all the blather and hypoerbole on this forum was filtered through an experienced photog rather than being taken at face value.

Your value on the other hand I am uncertain of.
Lets put it another way - if Kodak have offered them the Leica M8 sensor, then forget it. Waste of time. More decent lenses, and just upgrade the bodies to keep up with the competition.
Seconded on both counts. No further comments either, pointless blather.

Some of us do garner useful suggestions from others, plus some of our own, to forward on to Pentax. They are in touch with their customers, despite what many may believe.
02-24-2007, 02:44 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

I already made up my mind in getting 1d mark III and 645D when they are both released into the market.
With the 31mp sensor, what is that $25,000 in cameras? Who even has $25,000 just lying around....
02-24-2007, 03:05 AM   #42

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LOL.

I just registered today and if this thread is any indication of what this site is about then I may hang around a bit more.

Anyway.....

1.3x, 1.5x or even FF are all good for me as long as image quality improves in terms of noise and DR. If this new body had similar features and was priced competitively then bring it on.

bazz.
02-24-2007, 04:55 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I already have...

If you want a 1.3, tell them.

I'd like them to develop and market a full line of lenses and accessories for the pair of K10 that I already purchased.

Lenses, eyepiece enhancements for both eye correction and utility: a Pentax Zigview type device--or maybe a palm type digital assistant; some firmware and software improvements.

Not to put too fine a point on things, but didn't Pentax effectively tell you to stop representing the general masses of users and just do what you do: take fashion photos?

I wonder if you ever considered that a whole lot of us have been Pentax shooters for decades; and that we may have already established lines of communications with the company.

The evidence is right in your hand. Where do you think all the great ideas incorporated in the K10 come from: Johnnie come freebies, like yourself?
I already have told them!

Ben
02-24-2007, 05:16 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mr. Snotty

Don't drink coffee or tea; not cranky.

Ben may be the most respected Fashion Photog on the planet for all I know. Hell, he may even know what he's doing wrt a camera.

But he is an arrogant uppity snot when it come to this special Pentax connection. They as much as said so if his own words are any indication--[paraphrased quote]they were worried that playing representative for all of us would interfere with his fashion shooting[/paraphrased quote]--damn, does it get any clearer?

He's got a HANDLER(S)---and that's it. Exactly that low level bushwa you've labeled and many (cow-headed individuals) think he can end run.

Pentax want to know Ben's experiences and opinions only in so far as it benefits their marketing of the camera. They want him "HAPPY". The want promo shots of him doing his thing so they can make advertisement---damn, that's what he does! If he accidentally discovers a real problem, Pentax will surely fix it pronto--but don't expect any earth-shaking stampede to fix all the thousands of actually paid for cameras unless it's a damn big problem.

Now if Ben want to run master classes in illumination or fashion shooting or even share his publication experiences, believe me, I'll be near first in line. But if instead he needs our 'suggestions' because he's got nothing to say to Pentax except 'Its works fine', then he gets my cynicism and ...

These 'suggestion lists' are tired, worn-out drivel; a well beaten dead horse. Take the box you got (and paid for) and go out and try to use it---now that's a novel idea.

And kindly stop mistaking my passion for real progress as cranky; unless...
Look. If you have any questions regarding technique, the business, the camera and life in general, why don't you just ask. I don't think I have ever hesitated in doing so. I would suggest you try asking another working pro in my métier for their technical input and see where it gets you in 90 percent of the time..About being snotty, I guess that depends on your own perspective. I suspect that is what you think of me. Pentax are NOT my handlers and if Pentax were not to work out in terms of my own demands in terms of quality, I would use what ever is acceptable to my needs. I think I was rather forthright in voicing my concerns about a specific focus problem I was having with the 21 and 16-45 lens. That is not good PR for any company. None the less, for the interest of all users I posted my concerns. As to giving my time here, I am doing the best, considering my own obligations, i.e. making a living in my profession. If you would rather I not be here, I will leave that up to the moderator. If I have offended anyone, that was never my intention. If so pardon the misunderstanding.

Ben
02-24-2007, 05:24 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just Ask...

OK, I'll stop name calling-unless it's Mutual. But this

does bother me. Either you have been absent, or cannot read, or read selectively without ... These are just threads in the Pentax dSLR forum

These are the first page of Bens starts-start a new thread (past 19 days)

Who Wants a 1.3 Cropped Sensor? Future contact with Pentax
Next Shoot; Self advertisement (Several)
Pentax Synchro X Input; Possible contact with Contact Pentax about a part that already exists--and I pointed him at it after a polite email to Pentax Colorado offered assurances as to applicability.
A Note to Larry re: K10D; Swipe at Askey (Several)
Had a Problem; Rehash front focus issues (Several no search for existing material)
Pentax 16-45 Lens; no difference between primes and zooms (one shooting mode/one situation does not a study make/self promotion and image (Several)
A synopsis of the last two days; Self advertisement-another copy of previous photo
Meeting with Pentax; The big list to Pentax thread
Pentax 12-24 Lens; Another freebee for the PRO
Pentax Wish List; Starting point of the big list

I don't start many threads but I try to participate in some (past four days):

A correction and better info on polarizers
Comments on pricing lenses
Help with body and grip switches
Opinion on Sto-fen from a user POV (one and out for others to add their own)
Opinion on PP from a possible participant (one and out for others to add their own)
Quantification question on an Adobe bashing--the red haired grandson problem (a discussion)
Auto White balance issues (Several posts, another discussion)
Opinion on DNG vs PEF (one and a question)
Macro VS program mode-possible glitch-un founded/normal operation
Researched Lightroom release date for RawShooter 'grandfathers'.

To be honest Ben does participate in some threads he didn't start-but frankly I'm still waiting for some valuable professional advice or information.
Again...Just ask me a question. I cannot read your mind. WHAT DO YOU WANT TO KNOW? If I can answer your question I will. If not I will say that that is not my area of expertise.