Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #61
Xgear

Here it is 1.3 is next step
We will all have full frame and we will all have HD wide screen
Right there with you “don't know why pentax would need this input”

02-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #62

Photos: Albums
I don't see the necessity of a larger sensor at this time. Image quality is fine with the 6 and 10MP sensors.

Pentax does not have the lens support for it, and is not showing any signs of support for it. Pentax should be striving for greater market share in the consumer market. Also, where would this sensor come from? Kodak? Canon?

None of the pieces are in place for a larger sensor, apart from the elusive 645D.
02-28-2007, 01:29 AM   #63
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just a little survey that I might want to pass on to Pentax...Who Wants a 1.3 Cropped Sensor and Why?

What would be the benefits of such a format and would we be willing to spend the extra bucks to do so?

Best Wishes
Ben
Only if SR remains, you can use all the current DA lenses without light fall off and the camera body stays reasonably small.

But just as important is coming up with useful accessories for their cameras.

How about an adapter like a zig view (has been mentioned many times on many post before). How about AF lens focus adjustment in software and wireless control.

Why not have a Pocket Wizard "Built in the camera" for studio work, how nice would that be, not having to worry if you were going to knock the transmitter off your hot shoe when shooting gets crazy..... and of course my fave ..... tethering.

The K10D is attracting "Shooters" that need to have pro type accessories available ..... that is one reason the big boys shoot C and N, they have what they need to get their job done.

With the K10D, and the new K1D (if that's what it is called, when it comes out this year or next) Pentax has moved up the ladder and they are not "just a camera maker" anymore, if they are to be a real alternative to C and N they need the accessories to make the circle complete.

On another note ... the new 645D which has been announced and will be out later this year will get the pros talking. That medium format camera, if it is innovative enough and priced right will have a very big say in their K10D and higher quality DSLR camera sales. Pentax needs quality and availabilty of features in both DSLR's and Medium Format for them to be the major player they once were. I think they are headed this way, but it takes time, money and spot on products.

wll
02-28-2007, 04:25 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
So bigger sensor = bigger DOF, if I read that right (Difficult as it was in feet! )
Actually, in practical terms a bigger sensor means LESS DOF for the same field of view. Since you can use a longer lens, the DOF gets less.

On my 4x5 I have to shoot at f/16 or f/22 to get any kind of decent DOF, and the lenses go all the way to f/64 and greater.

And, guys, leave Ben alone. He's doing a fine job, is a decent photographer, and the more people we have hawking Pentax the better!

As to the crop factor, yeah, great, but how about a different ASPECT RATIO? Something that perfectly matches A3 would be great! More USABLE pixels for those of us who don't shoot for 4x6 snapshots!!

Last edited by Dana G; 03-01-2007 at 06:38 PM.
02-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #65
Inactive Account

1.1x with SR shake-reduction

one more,
there is a discussion going on , that, with current sensor fab, and existing stepper machines, a slight less than FF would be feasable and cheaper with existing fabrication,....
so with a 1.1x that would be close to full frame, and there would be enough of the image circle usable to keep the SR shake reduction,.....

one more,.... quantum efficiency increase with back light, 20um thin wafers,...
2-3x light sensitive,

one more,... IR filter removable on front of mirror, aka 14n ,... keeps dust out,
and makes the camera IR convertible

cheers, Robert
02-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #66
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is little doubt in my mind that Pentax already knows where the future of digital imaging is. There is little doubt in my mind that there will be a sensor size change sooner rather than later, at least on a high end DSLR.

There is also a chance that there will be a sensor size change on the current level of cameras too, with a digital mask that would screen the image for DA lenses that many of us have already purchased.

The evolving face of digital imaging will move at a faster pace going forward. That change will be nearly as rapid as the speed with which new computer chip designs hit the computer industry in recent years. Everyhthing is outdated by the time it hits the shelf.

Pentax, it would apppear to me, has no intention of being left out in the cold like they have been for the last 10 years, when it comes to the evolution of this new media. I certainly should be evident that they have come to compete for a much larger share fo the DSLR market...and they will probably be very successful at it.

They clearly will have a larger sensor and I suspect we will see it before the end of the year. My crystal ball told me so

Let's be perfectly clear on one important issue that most Pentax owners simply have not mentioned. In industry and commerce if you are just trying to hold your position you are going to be swallowed and consumed. It has to be apparent that Pentax is not satisfied with the status quo and therefore is pushing forward...at what for them and their history...can only be described as at lightening speed. Personally, the ball is in their court to succeed of fail. To me, failure is not an option. I'm sure Pentax feels the same and they are doing a very good job at rebounding and coming out with serious goods and quality lenses that at a price point can only be considered relatively cheap.

Stephen

Last edited by SCGushue; 02-28-2007 at 01:57 PM.
02-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
As to the crop factor, yeah, great, but how about a different ASPECT RATIO? Something that perfectly matches A3 would be great! More USABLE pixels for those of us who don't shoot for 4x6 snapshots!!
Wouldn't it be damn handy if all the things used to view and take photos had the same ratio? Computer screens, TVs, paper, sensors...

My screen is 1:1.6, camera is 1:1.5, paper is 1:1.41 (A series), photo paper is all sorts of different ratios.
02-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #68

Well, with paper sizes at 1:1.41, it would make sense for sensors to have the same aspect ratio. It would be very good for magazine pages, portrait and wedding work, and other applications.

Why do the camera companies keep the same 2:3 ratio? The digital compacts, which are probably used for 4:6 snapshots have a completely different aspect ratio.

What''s wrong with this picture? With digital, we have the chance to make a sensor any shape at all. So why not make the sensors fit the kind of photos that the purchasers are likely to make?

The whole thing is an example of people unable to think of anything different than what they're already doing!

02-28-2007, 09:19 PM   #69
Xgear

I have no idea where you get this information.
what forum is this?
02-28-2007, 09:20 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well you gotta be careful on how you change the shape. Its not a modular system where we can just insert the shape we like. besides we can always crop! (yeah I'm lazy too haha).
02-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #71
Xgear

Hey that’s real smart
02-28-2007, 09:47 PM   #72
cyg

Why keep sensors rectangular?

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
Why do the camera companies keep the same 2:3 ratio?
The whole thing is an example of people unable to think of anything different than what they're already doing!
Exactly!

In fact, there is not even any real reason for keeping a rectangular sensor in the digital age. It would make more sense to use the entire image circle and capture a circular image which may then be cropped to whatever shape is most convenient for printing / viewing / ...

Imagine taking landscape and portrait without turning the camera, no extra shutter, no flash orientation issue...

(and remember you hear it here first -- I think ;-)
02-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you mean a smaller circular image...APS instead of FF. (-_-)

DA (Digital FAJ) lenses...I really hope that they continue making DA lenses suitable for APS-H now.
03-01-2007, 03:10 AM   #74
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
you mean a smaller circular image...APS instead of FF. (-_-)

DA (Digital FAJ) lenses...I really hope that they continue making DA lenses suitable for APS-H now.
You're assuming that the DA lenses can support APS-H, only some may, and then the edge definition will probably suffer as well as having CA, or fringing.

According to my internal sources at Pentax, the DA lenses are designed to support the reduced image circle of APS-C only. It is an urban legend that APS-H can be accomodated.

I suspect that APS-H with SR can only be viable with lenses designed for 35mm film (FF), such as D-FA, FA and the like. Some DA lenses may work, just as they do on film, but they do vignette and have considerable edge definition fall off, believe me, I've tried.

The DA lenses perform as follows on 35mm film:

DA 10-17 - cropped up to approx 15mm, vignettes afterwards
DA 12-24 - cropped up to approx 17mm, lessening vignetting beyond
DA 14 - unusable
DA 16-45 - cropped up to approx 20mm, lessening vignetting beyond
DA 18-55 - Not tested
DA 50-200 - doesn't crop (well, almost), but vignettes badly at all focal lengths
DA 21 - unusable
DA 40 - vignettes slightly
DA 70 - works quite well

I shall scan in shots taken with the above lenses on an MZ-S and post them up.

As far as supporting FF with SR, I'm not sure if even the wider D-FA/FA lenses will work well enough, i.e. maintain reasonable edge sharpness and low vignetting.
03-01-2007, 03:35 AM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
As far as supporting FF with SR, I'm not sure if even the wider D-FA/FA lenses will work well enough, i.e. maintain reasonable edge sharpness and low vignetting.
Why then APS-C lenses work fine with APS-C sensor and SR? Are you saying that 35mm lenses have relatively smaller picture circle than DA lenses have?