Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Who Wants a 1.3 Cropped Sensor?

Just a little survey that I might want to pass on to Pentax...Who Wants a 1.3 Cropped Sensor and Why?

What would be the benefits of such a format and would we be willing to spend the extra bucks to do so?

Best Wishes
Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 02-24-2007 at 12:29 PM.
02-23-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I've figured out why the DA*'s have this crop factor

Since they're "co-developed" with Tokina, and Tokina delivers Nikon and Canon mount lenses, the image circle had to be large enough to cover their sensors. Isn't Canon's crop factor 1.3x?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #3

I'd pay extra for the 1.3x. That would make my 21mm and 40mm closer to the lenses I used in the film days (28 and 50), and anything that will make the viewfinder larger is a good thing.

Mo, most of Canon's 'affordable' bodies have been 1.6x crop factor.
02-23-2007, 07:51 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hmm, I guess it must be some other brand, then.

The larger crop factor doesn't change the image at all, BTW. It only allows for larger sensors...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What the heck?

If you want a 1.3, tell them.

I'd like them to develop and market a full line of lenses and accessories for the pair of K10 that I already purchased.

Lenses, eyepiece enhancements for both eye correction and utility: a Pentax Zigview type device--or maybe a palm type digital assistant; some firmware and software improvements.

Not to put too fine a point on things, but didn't Pentax effectively tell you to stop representing the general masses of users and just do what you do: take fashion photos?

I wonder if you ever considered that a whole lot of us have been Pentax shooters for decades; and that we may have already established lines of communications with the company.

The evidence is right in your hand. Where do you think all the great ideas incorporated in the K10 come from: Johnnie come freebies, like yourself?
02-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote

I'd like them to develop and market a full line of lenses and accessories for the pair of K10 that I already purchased.

Lenses, eyepiece enhancements for both eye correction and utility: a Pentax Zigview type device--or maybe a palm type digital assistant; some firmware and software improvements.

Not to put too fine a point on things, but didn't Pentax effectively tell you to stop representing the general masses of users and just do what you do: take fashion photos?

I wonder if you ever considered that a whole lot of us have been Pentax shooters for decades; and that we may have already established lines of communications with the company.

The evidence is right in your hand. Where do you think all the great ideas incorporated in the K10 come from: Johnnie come freebies, like yourself?
John, are you always cranky in the morning? Grab yourself a cuppa and relax man. If Ben has the ear of some Pentax Biggies more power to him. If said Biggies tell him to "shut up and shoot" t'aint my beeswax. Knowing the corporate world as I do, I'm always happy if someone can do an end around the usual low and mid level bushwa where a LOT of good ideas die an unhappy dusty death (some bad ideas too)

NaCl(just my observations)H2O
02-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just a little survey that I might want to pass on to Pentax...Who Wants a 1.3 Cropped Sensor and Why?

What would be the benifits of such a format and would we be willing to spend the extra bucks to do so?

Best Wishes
Ben
Ben, for myself I really don't have any need for a 1.3 crop factor. It wouldn't change much in the way I photograph. I can see for fashion photogs like your self, a wider FOV might be important, but it isn't for me. The only thing I'm concerned about now is the pitiful lens selection currently available. It would be nice to have some lenses ANY LENSES! available.
That is what I would like, not a larger FOV.

NaCl(it seems they are having a hard enough time getting out what they have now)H2O

02-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't see much need for a 1.3 crop factor as well. Canon is doing mighty fine with a 1.6x crop CMOS, and the rest of the industry seems alright with 1.5x CCD.

As mentioned by Salty, I think the only benefits of going to a 1.3x crop would be a wider FOV.

IMHO, an overall improvement in image quality coming off our current sensors, as well as more lens availability and selection, should be much more important than any crop factor change and would be money better spent.
02-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What for?

What would be the benifits of such a format and would we be willing to spend the extra bucks to do so?

Best Wishes
Ben
1.3 crop is a 20% linear dimension increase over a 1.5 crop. Put another way, with the same pixel pitch as the K10D, it could provide a 14MP sensor but with similar DR and noise, a 12MP sensor with some improvement or a 10MP sensor with possibly better DR and noise. How much is that worth?

Some of the DA lenses already vignette on the 1.5 crop sensor so I would not use them on a 1.3 crop unless they can provide offset microlenses or someting similar to counter it.

There would have to be room to use SR. With no IS lenses, Pentax would need to retain SR to be credible.

So my answer is - if it can use DA lenses, supposrts SR and is otherwise competitive with the 1D mk 3, then yes I would pay around $4000. However being compeitive with a 1D means similar frame rate, AF performance, build quality and features, a useful DR improvement (2 stops) and lower noise (1 stop) with 14bit RAW.

If I need new lenses, lose SR, or there is no improvement in DR or noise or resolution, then forget it.
02-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote

To me, the more channels used to pass improvement requests to Pentax, the better and quicker the results will be. Pentax as others companies will react to demand from users and prospective buyers including fashion photographers. We are Pentax users so lets work together and request a better or improved product for the future.

I am not convinced a crop of 1.3x versus 1.5x will be a dramatic change. It may improve noise as the chip would be larger. On the other hand, noise is often generated by the camera so improvements can be achieved via better internal designed as much as increasing size, not perfect but would benefit future more dense chip of equal or large size. A 10% improvement in size may not generate a large interest amongst users in my opinion.

As long as I can effectively use my present lenses on future cameras for a while anyway this change would not cause me grief. If Pentax believes that the market is heading in that direction, we will have to adapt to this market.
02-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Canon's 1D series uses a 1.3x sensor - mainly for their PJ/sports shooters, since its not as high of a pixel count as their 1Ds (full 35mm frame) they can get insane frame rates - the new 1D mk 3 is a 10mp 1.3x sensor shooting 10fps up to 110 jpegs in 1 burst

Unless Pentax wants to go after this market, I think the 1.5x works fine. I would rather see effort put into buffer size/speed instead of a bigger sensor. A K10D with the same 10mp doing 6-8 fps with bursts up to maybe 20 jpegs would be awesome...

That, and like others have said - get some lenses on the street...
02-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Ben,
I'm convinced there is a 1.3 crop just around the corner for Pentax. If it is priced above $2,000 it's not for me. GPS and front/back focus adjustment will have to be in the firmware. I'd rather see it at 12MP instead of 14 for better ISO performance.

regards,
02-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Hmm, I guess it must be some other brand, then.

The larger crop factor doesn't change the image at all, BTW. It only allows for larger sensors...
the soon to be released canon EOS 1D mark III has 1.3 crop sensor and 10 fps up to over 100 continuous jpgs.

As far as wanting a 1.3 crop sensor, If I didn't already have the K10 I would definately take a close look at a pentax with 1.3
this could bring the noise levels in with some of the better canon models.
I am not high on Canon, but I have to admit the noise levels of there cameras rock..
staying at 10mp for the lower noise would be fine with me

is sony developing a 1.3 sensor?

cheers

randy
02-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Best Wishes
Ben
I’ve already invested on FF lenses hoping some day to get a FF digital body from pentax. However, if pentax will introduce a body with a 1.3x cropped sensor, I would certainly get that body and additionally I would replace my tamron zoom lenses with the new DA* ones and maybe I would get a few other DAs. That of course if the sensor comes with better DR and noise control (I suppose that would suggest 10MP) and these lenses do not vignette with such a sensor size. Otherwise, I prefer to stick with my Ds and the lenses I've already own... I really cannot see why I should spend more money on lenses or additional bodies while these don’t necessarily come with quite noticeable IQ improvement…
02-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #15

I might consider upgrading, in case that I have enough $$$ and that the camera features are what I am after.

Comparing the two cameras with same features, one 1.3x and the otherAPS-C
I guess I would go for APS-C, as I would appreciate the likely lower weight/cost vs better noise performance, or let say lower MP APS-C vs higher MP 1.3x, APS-C should cost and weigh less which is the inherent advantage, with still having decent sensor performance.

but I am just an ameteur, so this is more a question for some more serious photographers who might find much better use for such sensor.