Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2007, 06:53 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
sorry off topic

QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
I just registered today and if this thread is any indication of what this site is about then I may hang around a bit more.
Hey bazz, welcome to PF...

02-24-2007, 07:01 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
Hey bazz, welcome to PF...
Wanted to say hello too!
02-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #48
Inactive Account

I personally would not buy a full frame sensor, the k110d is good enough for my purposes. though i would like to see another firmware update to increase the maximum shutter speed and the buffer. also one for the k100d would be nice as well, as i'll be swiping one of those in the near future.
02-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Welcome

LOL.

I just registered today and if this thread is any indication of what this site is about then I may hang around a bit more.

Anyway.....

1.3x, 1.5x or even FF are all good for me as long as image quality improves in terms of noise and DR. If this new body had similar features and was priced competitively then bring it on.

bazz.
Welcome to the Lions Den...

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 03-14-2007 at 05:54 AM.
02-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just a little survey that I might want to pass on to Pentax...Who Wants a 1.3 Cropped Sensor and Why?

What would be the benifits of such a format and would we be willing to spend the extra bucks to do so?

Best Wishes
Ben
YES 1.3x definitly

reasons:
- don't know why pentax would need this input?
the sucess rate of canon with their 1D 1.3x vs. 5D should be a clear indication.
- the 1.3x with
- better viewfinder
- higher res
- shallower DOF, what is important for the ones needing fast lenses
- tele, still has magnifications, since longer fast lenses are expensive
- higher fps,
- lower price than FF
- still compatible with DA,DC aps lenses
- DR , increase in dynamic range

and important, to keep the price well below double of the K10D,
one more, for me a buildin grip is definitly a plus,
and would make it easier for a pro body,
on the market acceptance, I'd think a seperate grip is still more mainstream,
lower price, lower weight, second body, still think it's easier to design a more pro body with the grip building, due space, and better integration, stronger AF motor,

on the grip, one thing I'd like to see, with the grip and dual battery,
that the batteries are drained simultanies , lower drain on the battery, and possible doubling the AF motor voltage, what would increase the response, and reduce the loss, make it more efficient, it's just a litle power circuit, and with building grip it's easier to implement.
- AF performance, 1.3X since the 35mm AF circuits, where developed FF,
a 1.3X sensor setup, would be much better in the AF performance

for all those reasons, I'd think it would make the mosst sense, on the other end, it would probably delay FF camera body, still think,
current , new
- K10D 10MP 1.5x semi pro 3fps ccd $900 + grip
- K13Ds 13.5MP 1.3x pro 6fps cmos $1700 incl grip
( need to spend more on lenses for lon lenses)
- K18DF 18MP 1x semi high 4fps cmos $2600
- 645D 31MP 0.4x high end 2.5fps ccd $6500

another importance, besides, delivering mainstream lenses,
is to make an anoucement, a comitment, and show some possible prototype, at PMA 2007, and deliver a pro body this year. (period, no if, end,buts)
not just my 2 cents, Robert
02-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #51
Inactive Account

LOL.
-snip-
Welcome!

No, usually we don't have this fun. A small place where people tend to say "Very nice" or nothing at all. As usual, in other words. Many newbies, many helpful people, pretty friendly. No thread deletions or sencoring. Buy and sell (but you allready know that). A little slow tempo, but increasing and several new members saying hello most of the days. Pretty good. I hope you hang around and from time to time show some work (which I know can be inspiring)!

regards,
02-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #52
Sam

Just a little survey that I might want to pass on to Pentax...Who Wants a 1.3 Cropped Sensor and Why?

What would be the benefits of such a format and would we be willing to spend the extra bucks to do so?

Best Wishes
Ben
This is my first post in this forum, after lurking for a couple of weeks.
It's a great joy to find You here Benjikan!! As a matter of fact this is the primary reason I registered.
I am glad I shall be able to follow your thought provoking posts and way of looking into pro photocreation.

From my point of you, as I am new into Pentax, a new 1.3x is less important than lenses and accessories for my K10d as well as Firmware updates.
BTW 40mm ltd is Fantastic!

I was at Photovision expo in Athens,Greece and tried the new DA* 16 - 50 mm but it did not function neither on K10d nor on K100, as the AF and the f-- was inactive.Probly a new firmware may be necessary..
Cheers!

Sam
Pentax K10d, 40mm ltd, 18-55mm, D-BG2.
Lumix FZ5.
Nikon FA , 50mm 1.4, SB14.

02-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BTW, what impact would a larger sensor have on the image, not in terms of IQ, noise etc., but in terms of DOF?
02-25-2007, 07:50 AM   #54
Inactive Account

APS-C is Fine

APS-C Is Fine.
02-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Here you go!

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
BTW, what impact would a larger sensor have on the image, not in terms of IQ, noise etc., but in terms of DOF?
Online Depth of Field Calculator
02-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So bigger sensor = bigger DOF, if I read that right (Difficult as it was in feet! )
02-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Yes but...

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
So bigger sensor = bigger DOF, if I read that right (Difficult as it was in feet! )
Yeah - but remembering that the "equivalent" lens is a different focal length so you need to take that into account also for "comparable" shots with the same FOV - eg compare 75mm on the 5D with 50mm on the K10D. This actually makes the DOF greater on the cropped sensor for the same shot at the same distance.
02-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #58
Veteran Member

What would be the benefits of such a format and would we be willing to spend the extra bucks to do so?

Best Wishes
Ben
Hi Ben,

I would very much like a 1.3x crop sensored Pentax DSLR with between 12-15Mp sensor or thereabouts. Hopefully this will result in better DR, less noise, and better detail.

I would be quite happy to pay extra if the above can be achieved. It would not be a good idea if Pentax cannot achieve better image quality than the K10D.

Best regards
Lance
02-27-2007, 06:42 PM   #59
sft

I cant believe I missed this thread - I just posted another thread yesterday entitled APS-H - Future? and I look and think that no one seems to care much for APS-H then I noticed this thread sitting at the top

Personally, yes I would like a 1.3x APS-H camera for several reasons 1. Because I think Pentax would benefit much more from an APS-H K1D as opposed to an APS-C K1D. 2. I would like better noise control and DR. 3. Less DOF and a 1.3x crop factor. 4. Not as huge as FF. 5. Not as expensive as FF. 6. A bigger gap in the upgrade path from APS-H to MF compared to FF to MF thus more reasons for Pentax to adopt this approach.

Will SR still be possible though? How many of the current DA lenses would suffice, it seems many would be OK - DA40, DA70, DA16-45, etc.

PS. Note to moderator - since my thread is kind of a rehash of this issue and since it wil probably not spark much discussion due to this thread already existing feel free to get rid of it if you please.
02-27-2007, 07:10 PM   #60

Whew! Please wait while I put on a pair of flame proof britches! To respond to the original question (regardless of HOW it will be used!), I'm happy with the current sensor. BTW, has everyone (except, I think, one poster!) forgotten that Leica's M8 has the 1.3 sensor, and what problems they're having with their implementation of it? Just something to think about! I'd hate to see Pentax get hung up on that before they finish fine tuning the sensors and fine cameras they already have! My 2 cents; YMMV.
Rob W
P.S. Ben—NICE shot!