Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #1

Camera Wear & Tear and Problem

So I unhappily and frustratingly have run into 2 problems today with my Pentax camera...

It would seem the rugged build of the k10 aint so rugged...

I noticed on a glance ( I was not previously aware of ) that the latch to the SD card slot is cracked in 2 places, one seriously where a piece is flapping, and another forming crack... I'd love to send it away to Pentax but I am not sure I can go without my camera for a month or longer... luckily the camera is still under warranty until late November or early December...

Anyone have any similar problems with the SD latch door cracking?

SECOND PROBLEM and this one really frustrates the crap out of me....

Sometimes ( it has been intermittent and has not always happened ) My camera will not shut off ( unless I only pull the battery out ) the problem will continue variously until the camera decides to work correctly... it is almost as though the off turns the camera on and vice versa....

This of course is hard to communicate because it does not happen all the time and I really don't know if I send it to Pentax if they can even fix it, if they can't test it because its not happening when I send the camera to them

Anyone else face either of these 2 problems?

09-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

not had those problems but have noticed a bit of the rubber skin coming loose (on rear edge near SD card door). Doesn't flap or anything just noticed it was lifting one day, will stick it back down soon. Must be a general handling issue as I hardly ever open the card door as I use the USB cable to download pics.

Nige.
09-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had no problem with my K10D, and would suspect the cracked door is due to inadvertant impact.

the on off issue is probably related to the cracked door. Specifically that you have moisture insude the camera.

I had a similar issue with my *istD, after the kayak I was in got swamped. had to pull the batteries, left it with all covers open in the sun for 4 hours (4 1/2 years ago) It has worked fine since.

get the door repaired , and the camera dried out and you should be good
09-07-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

For the "on-off" issue, I would send the camera back to Pentax. Even if they don't find the problem, it will at least have been reported under warranty, so if the problem gets worst after the camera comes back, it can give you some "leverage" to push Pentax to fix it again since the problem was reported while the camera was still covered. Just my two cents. Actually, in Québec, the law states that a good sold here must give a decent performance for a decent period of time. It doesn't matter what the guarantee says, the court may interpret it any way they see fit, so just saying you are going to go to small claim court gives you a lot of power, since the court seems to side more often toward the consumers than toward the manufacturers.