Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2018, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
some thoughts on what I would do if it was me,

to the OP

only you can decide, there is no right answer for the crowd, do what you think is best for you.

good luck
99% agree except I do have to say it is hard to go really very wrong getting the best possible glass over the last possible camera body bell and whistle.

05-06-2018, 05:06 AM   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
99% agree except I do have to say it is hard to go really very wrong getting the best possible glass over the last possible camera body bell and whistle.
with all of the great camera bodies offered by Pentax

personally I look strongly at improving the " glass " I put on the front of my K 3 and K 3 II

" good glass " works with many different camera bodies

although truthfully learning more about the basics of photography and photographic techniques is even more important
05-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Then again I'm a person who enjoys the ergonomics of the K-01 and didn't like to hold my Dad's KR much
I think the K-S1 is the follow up to the K-01 concept, personally. I love how small mine is (I think it's the smallest digital Pentax other than the K-01, ever?), especially with a small prime attached to it. But it also has that wonderful optical viewfinder, the same as the K-3 (and all cameras that followed). What it does not have (nor does any camera other than your K-01) is the live view where you don't get that "double mirror slap". Again, the K-01 is the only Pentax that does not have that because it is mirrorless. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

There's a nice white K-S1 in our forum's marketplace right now for a couple hundred dollars. For that small form factor and image quality better than the K-5ii, it's worth trying, I think.

Good luck with your search
05-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think the K-S1 is the follow up to the K-01 concept, personally. I love how small mine is (I think it's the smallest digital Pentax other than the K-01, ever?), especially with a small prime attached to it. But it also has that wonderful optical viewfinder, the same as the K-3 (and all cameras that followed). What it does not have (nor does any camera other than your K-01) is the live view where you don't get that "double mirror slap". Again, the K-01 is the only Pentax that does not have that because it is mirrorless. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

There's a nice white K-S1 in our forum's marketplace right now for a couple hundred dollars. For that small form factor and image quality better than the K-5ii, it's worth trying, I think.

Good luck with your search
The KS-1 is cool, but I don't see myself upgrading to a body without WR. Given that it rains all the time here I'm missing a lot of opportunities with my current camera as it is.

05-16-2018, 07:39 AM   #35
Pentaxian

The KS-1 is cool, but I don't see myself upgrading to a body without WR. Given that it rains all the time here I'm missing a lot of opportunities with my current camera as it is.
Well... you can have a WR body, or you can have a very small body. But you can't really have both... so if WR is non-negotiable, then the K-S2 would be the smallest WR body Pentax has, I believe. Same great sensor as the K-S1. You mentioned AF earlier, the K-S2 has AF during video by hitting the AF button (on-demand AF) and microphone port.
05-21-2018, 07:11 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think it's the smallest digital Pentax other than the K-01, ever?
The K-S1 may be the smallest with SR, but the old *ist DL was also a remarkably compact DSLR.

I would only recommend the KP to those who need what it has over entry level DSLRs like the K-70 and K-S2, and who don't need the features of the K-3 series cameras. The KP is a compact DSLR for advanced users, the only such product on the market. It features more direct control over camera functionality than entry level models typically provide, along with 5-axis stabilization, more robust shutter mechanism, better build quality, and the inclusion of optional battery grip. Those who don't need these features really are better off with the less expensive K-70, or maybe even the K-S2.
05-21-2018, 05:42 PM - 3 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well this whole thing is basically on hold anyways since I snatched the FA 43. Even though it was a great price it wasn't cheap!

Don't regret it though, the FA 43 is quickly becoming my favorite lens.

05-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Well this whole thing is basically on hold anyways since I snatched the FA 43. Even though it was a great price it wasn't cheap!

Don't regret it though, the FA 43 is quickly becoming my favorite lens.
Awesome piece of glass. Congrats. I have avoided th urge to acquire the three amigos! But maybe someday... Still got a couple to be released DFA 50, DA 11-18 and finally the K3 II replacement to get... Then I will consider.