Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Do I buy a cheaper body or save up for a KP?

Hey everyone. I'm really looking to improve my photography but I think that I'm getting to the point where the K-01 is most certainly holding me back with it's very dated contrast based autofocus, to the point where I'm actually manual focusing my auto focus lenses these days. My ideal camera upgrade would be the KP. I've come to love the size of the K-01, it's just so easy to lug around all day even without a camera strap, and the KP seems to offer that same advantage with an added viewfinder.

Now the big problem with the KP is that it's rather expensive, even used. I do wonder if I'd be better off springing for something like a used K-5IIs (which I can afford now) or a used k-3 (which would take a lil bit of time).

What do you guys think? Should I spring for the more immediate option or save up for the luxurious KP. I have a feeling most of these would be a significant upgrade to the K-01.

04-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want the same IQ as the KP for a little less money, get the K-70 IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K3 would be a nice upgrade, but it sounds like you really want the KP with the smaller form factor.

The K3 autofocus is much better than my K5, but not quite up to my K-1, so I would believe it is still behind the KP. My hang up with the KP has been the need for a different battery than my other cameras. The dual SD slots of the K3 and K-1 really aren’t a big deal to me. I only had a need for them when I shot an event.

Good luck with your decision, but I think either one could serve you well for years to come.
04-26-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That did occur to me. Does the KP have the same continuous autofocus in video as the K-70?

04-26-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have the K-5IIS. Its image output, structure, style, menu setup, and weather resistance are all valuable features. When I first got it I saw the detail I was getting in images and it was so nice. It was once the Pentax flagship model and it is noticeable when it is used. I have used it for birding, sports, landscape and stills and it has done well in all areas. I also now have the K-3II and K-1 II. They are the more advanced models of course, but the K-5IIs is still respectable.

In reference to one of the newer models that has valuable new features at a mid range price point, I would give the K-70 a mention, though it does not have a top lcd display like the K-5IIS does.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-26-2018 at 08:10 PM.
04-26-2018, 08:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have the K-5IIS. Its image output, structure, style, menu setup, and weather resistance are all valuable features. When I first got it I saw the detail I was getting in images and it was so nice. It was once the Pentax flagship model and it is noticeable when it is used. I have used it for birding, sports, landscape and stills and it has done well in all areas. I also now have the K-3II and K-1 II. They are the more advanced models of course, but the K-5IIs is still respectable.
The K-5IIS is attractive because it's easily attainable at about 300 bucks now with all those features. Kind of a bummer it doesn't include focus peaking though, but I still have the K-01 for that anyways.
04-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #7

My 2 cents...

Good evening,

Here is what I think about improving “my” photography. What about your own goals?

I own a good (older body) K-5ii since 2013. And also a K-01 and a K10D.
My K-5ii is more than acceptable for based on what “I” what to improve regarding my “technics”.

I would rather spend my money to improve my lens quality to directly impact the IQ.

So, based on “your need/goals”, why not spend just enough on a good/OK (k5ii/s or k3) body and all extra money (not spent on newer body) on better glasses?

Happy shooting!

04-26-2018, 08:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

It is a great camera (K-5IIS). I used it last year to do some college soccer shooting with my Sigma 150-500 DG OS, and it did a wonderful job. I had my K-3II on my 16-85 then. I like to not change lenses a lot to avoid the dust factor and for other reasons.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-26-2018 at 08:20 PM.
04-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
That did occur to me. Does the KP have the same continuous autofocus in video as the K-70?
I think so!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Hey everyone. I'm really looking to improve my photography but I think that I'm getting to the point where the K-01 is most certainly holding me back with it's very dated contrast based autofocus, to the point where I'm actually manual focusing my auto focus lenses these days. My ideal camera upgrade would be the KP. I've come to love the size of the K-01, it's just so easy to lug around all day even without a camera strap, and the KP seems to offer that same advantage with an added viewfinder.

Now the big problem with the KP is that it's rather expensive, even used. I do wonder if I'd be better off springing for something like a used K-5IIs (which I can afford now) or a used k-3 (which would take a lil bit of time).

What do you guys think? Should I spring for the more immediate option or save up for the luxurious KP. I have a feeling most of these would be a significant upgrade to the K-01.
I'm currently using a K-30. If the aperture control fails, I'll use manual lenses until I have the funds to purchase a KP. I can't tell you what to do, but I love the small form factor combined with its graceful handling of high ISO. If they were sell what I call a K-07, the obvious repackaging of K-70 guts in a MILC body + EVF, I would go for that more quickly even if I had to borrow, but we know that is not happening {so, I guess the bravado of promising to borrow if needed is a safe statement}

Last edited by reh321; 04-26-2018 at 08:44 PM.
04-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do Both.....
04-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A used KS2 would be a cheap upgrade as well. They are still quite nice.
04-26-2018, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One word of advice from a fellow K-01nian.

If you, like me, are accustomed to shooting fine manual lenses in magnified LV, check that your new camera shoots properly in LV.
My K-30 for instance closes the mirror-opens the mirror-takes the picture-closes the mirror-reopens the mirror: I've heard that top of the line cameras (like K-3 perhaps) just fire the shutter like the K-01 does.

To me, that's reason enough to keep the K-01 around, because I really can't stand carefully hand-holding a manual prime, maybe trying to keep super still in low light, and then have the camera go CRA-CLACK-click-CRA-CLACK on me...
04-27-2018, 12:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

By a "little less money" Adam must mean "nearly half the price".

---------- Post added 04-27-18 at 12:09 AM ----------

Buy the best "flagship" DSLR you can afford right *now* with room to save, or better yet invest in glass down the road. Your inclinations are correct. A K-3 (many still prefer a K-5iis) would seem a world of difference coming from a K-01.
But I think there's nothing wrong with focusing your modern glass manually.
Maybe you're supposed to hold out for a KP whilst you perfect your manual fast focus skills....

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-27-2018 at 12:10 AM.
04-27-2018, 12:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In addition to being much cheaper, the K-70 is also slightly smaller than the KP, and it has a proper built-in grip (making it safer to carry without a strap, if that is what you are used to doing with your K-01).

https://camerasize.com/compare/#706,677