Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If Pentax made this, would you buy it? (Another thread)

I was thinking a few days ago about how if Pentax made an "entry-level" full frame camera, what I would want and whether or not I would buy it. I thought about it maybe being a sort of stripped down K-1 or a larger, FF "version" of the K-70. I was thinking that they could remove the built-in GPS, handheld PS, make a simplier screen hinge mechanism (or a fixed screen even), a slightly lower amount of weather-sealing, one SD slot, 2 mode dials (compared to the K-1's 3), and remove/change some other features to make a simplier, less expensive full frame camera with a design language similar to that of the K-70. If a camera such as this were to be planned, though, I would hope for an improved AF module with faster AF and more points over the K-1. What are your thoughts. I suppose this may have been talked about to death but this is my take on it.

04-27-2018, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would dilute the market... I'm not sure how well it would sell either. It has a certain appeal, but the price Delta isn't clear.
04-27-2018, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I was thinking a few days ago about how if Pentax made an "entry-level" full frame camera, what I would want and whether or not I would buy it. I thought about it maybe being a sort of stripped down K-1 or a larger, FF "version" of the K-70. I was thinking that they could remove the built-in GPS, handheld PS, make a simplier screen hinge mechanism (or a fixed screen even), a slightly lower amount of weather-sealing, one SD slot, 2 mode dials (compared to the K-1's 3), and remove/change some other features to make a simplier, less expensive full frame camera with a design language similar to that of the K-70. If a camera such as this were to be planned, though, I would hope for an improved AF module with faster AF and more points over the K-1. What are your thoughts. I suppose this may have been talked about to death but this is my take on it.
I was thinking that they could remove the built-in GPS - Would work for me.
handheld PS - Would work for me.
or a fixed screen - Would work for me.
a slightly lower amount of weather-sealing - Hell no!
one SD slot - Divided on this. 2 slots would be super nice.
2 mode dials (compared to the K-1's 3) - Would work for me - if there was a top LCD like on the K-5 and K-3.
less expensive full frame camera with a design language similar to that of the K-70. - Would like more along the design language of the K-5 / K-3.
If a camera such as this were to be planned, though, I would hope for an improved AF module with faster AF and more points over the K-1. - While I agree with you, that's not going to make for a cheaper product in my view.

And get rid of video - Don't need it and don't want it!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-27-2018 at 11:08 PM.
04-27-2018, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think it could potentially be a successful idea if they plan it out well. The problem is that the K-70 already has so many features at such a low price. Any entry-level FF would have to be at least as good, and at that point there isn't much that can be taken out, apart from niche features like GPS and the hand-held PSR. There would also be competition from second-hand offerings, which are now becoming increasingly accessible (and also the already-cheap D750 and 6D).

A truly stripped-down manual focus (digital K1000 if you will) FF camera with a metal body would be interesting. Forget the video, flash, GPS, dual card slots, customizable buttons, and all of that- make a camera aimed at the Leica crowd. If the price could be right, it might do really well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-27-2018, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A truly stripped-down manual focus (digital K1000 if you will) FF camera with a metal body would be interesting. Forget the video, flash, GPS, dual card slots, customizable buttons, and all of that- make a camera aimed at the Leica crowd. If the price could be right, it might do really well.
I'd be up for that if the price was right!
04-27-2018, 11:30 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that most of what people don't want or need (with the possible exception of GPS, which I actually find useful) is the cheaper stuff, and taking it out wouldn't reduce cost much. Losing AF would be the big one, but mostly if the same applied to lenses also. As you say, the target for such a camera might be the Leica crowd, but as I see it they'd have to also do the Leica thing of making it premium not cheap - an LX digital, not a K100 digital - or else it would just be a lesser camera for what you can probably get a K-1 for now.
04-27-2018, 11:42 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

The K-1 is already barely more expensive than the budget FF models from CaNikon so I'm dubious about how much the removal of these features would really lower the price. The camera would still be a lot of money and I think that most people would go all out and spring for the K-1.

In my case there are a lot of features in today's cameras that I could happily live without but many of them would be important for other people so it's unlikely that Pentax would remove everything that's of little use to me personally and still sell a decent number of such a camera.

Anyway, my K-3 is only three years old and therefore needs to last at least another two, and I believe that if I continue to take care of it then it will last considerably longer than that.

04-27-2018, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I thought about it maybe being a sort of stripped down K-1
Pentax K2P (plastic version) using free @$Mpixels 24x36 sensors from QC rejects from Sony. No image strabilization (too expensive). Without the LCD screen and button. only the On/Off shutter release button.1SD card only. Auto (green mode set by default), no viewfinder, no flash. Utmost minimalism: 4 AA battery (no charger), 1 image sensor, 1 shutter, no viewfinder no mirrorbox, 1 SD card (Class 6), 1 on-off button, reuse of old Takumar lenses (max price $50), native M42 mount to avoid cost of M42 to K mount adapter. Sold in a plastic bag (conventional Ricoh box is too expensive). 3 months guarantee. All this for $379.8.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-27-2018 at 11:57 PM.
04-27-2018, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A truly stripped-down manual focus (digital K1000 if you will) FF camera with a metal body would be interesting. Forget the video, flash, GPS,
nice, where can I sign up for one?
04-28-2018, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I too like the idea of a very stripped down Pentax full-frame model. The problem I see is that it would take potential sales away from the K-1II (and future full-frame "flagship" models). I'd expect Pentax and other brands to be consolidating model ranges rather than expanding on them, given the state of the market...
04-28-2018, 12:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What they could do well with is of a Full Frame version of the K3II but with the following added:
- Bigger buffer (50+ shots)
- Both SD slots UHS-II compatable
- USB 3.1
- More AF points
- Recent upgrades that were implemented in the KP/K1-II
04-28-2018, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If they could squeeze it into an old k film body size, reduce the MP count to around 20ish and keep the build quality I would definitely want one.
04-28-2018, 12:30 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The problem I see is that it would take potential sales away from the K-1II
I'm not sure about that 99.999...% of the people want a camera with all the bells and whistles.
04-28-2018, 12:47 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I'm not sure about that 99.999...% of the people want a camera with all the bells and whistles.
You may be right, but Sony managed to continue selling the A7 and A7 MkII in good numbers despite the availability of arguably far-more-capable models in the range. I rekon a number of those sales were to people who would undoubtedly have liked the higher-end models, but figured the basic models were "good enough" given the price difference. When faced with a choice between price and features, a lot of people will choose price, IMHO...
04-28-2018, 01:16 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You may be right, but Sony managed to continue selling the A7 and A7 MkII in good numbers despite the availability of arguably far-more-capable models in the range. I rekon a number of those sales were to people who would undoubtedly have liked the higher-end models, but figured the basic models were "good enough" given the price difference. When faced with a choice between price and features, a lot of people will choose price, IMHO...
Yeah, I can't prove it, but the A9 seems to have been a sales dud despite all its marketing hype and genuine capabilities (an EVF practically as good as an OVF).

Part of the reason will be that it's enormously expensive, and its hindered not just by the Canikon flagships but the lesser Sony models, too.