Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #1

Help K20D Problems

Hi folks, I just got the K20D after owning the K10D for just Under a year now and was very impressed with the k10D. Ok what i really need the help about is the K20D when i take a shot the 2.7 LCD viewer looks weird.(Lack of a better word)when i import it it in aperture it looks fine. Is any one else having this problem with their K20D?

Weird = I take a shot of my self and i totally look as if i am sweating but i am not.

What better place to ask for help with over 5000 members..
Thank You in advance

09-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe your k20d is haunted
09-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
Haunted is a common problem??
How could I fix it?
I forgot to mention that this really happens when the flash is on..
Thxs again
09-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You will need an exorcism. I suggest you get one from a legitimate pentax dealer.

I am joking.

I've never seen anything weird on the k20d. When i use the flash close up it does make people's skin shiny, but it looks the same when i take it onto my computer.

So either your laptop's screen is not correctly calibrated or aperture is automatically fixing things like shiny skin, imperfections and redeye. Why dont you post a sweating photo so other people can say if they think you are sweaty or not.

09-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
ok.
I went back to the dealer and I showed him it and he thought some thing was wrong with it as well. Untill I checked it against and the new one in the store. The conclusion was it was my memory stick(16 gig adata). So I bought new memory and it's doing the exact same thing so huge favour guys.
Can u take a pic 3feet away from your face with the flash on and see if I am going crazy. Thanks again in advance
09-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

just tried it out with a kit lens on it. The skin comes out perfectly matte, totally flawless

I might have to give up on you sagaboy.

Try shooting on every metering mode with the flash, go into the settings and check everything. try doing "reset custom function" in the custom menu and "reset" in the settings menu, just incase you've done something wrong
09-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
Dont give up yet....

Couple more learnings. Image is clear when you first go to it then gets all ugly after a sec (Or when it loads)..
I have links of the image on the lcd and the actual
Keep your eyes on the forehead.. image..http://www.sagaboy.com/DSC_0971.JPGhttp://www.sagaboy.com/IMGP4829.JPG

Cuz its all grainy on the lcd.
thank you again

Dominic
09-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sagaboy Quote
If you say so. Looks pretty normal to me for a low-resolution LCD.

09-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #9

The K20D does have the option to calibrate the LCD screen.

Why don't you have a play around with that until you get results on the screen that more closely match what you see in Aperture?
09-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #10

Original Poster
I did not notice this at all with the k10D and I tested this with the k10d and no problem with the LCD.
09-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Now, what I will say is based on my observations of both the K200d and the K20d and if I am wrong I'll stand corrected.

The image on the K200d LCD, while brighter than it should be (sometimes mis-indicating exposure, unless you're checking the histogram) was a very good judge of the quality of the image, in particular sharpness, even at x16. That happened even when I shoot RAW (most of the time.)

On the K20d, however, I'm finding the LCD is a poor judge of the final quality of the image. So poor that I literally jumped out of my chair the first time I shoot a piece of cloth to see detail. It looked shockingly bad, with what looked like bad JPEG artifacts and certainly no representation of the reality of the object in the picture.

My impression is that the camera is displaying a JPEG, and a badly converted one, too. I theorize it's because it would take a lot of memory to display a high quality one, hence they are cutting some corners, here.

Another thing is, the K200d is zooming up to x16, which I thought (however I could be wrong) it's 100% zoom. The K20d is zooming up to x32 which, if x16 is 100% of 10MB, x32 is more than 100% more than the 14MB. Which means at that zoom level you're already seeing extrapolation so it certainly can't be very accurate.

At lower zoom levels I've seen problems as well, a thumbnail of a piece of hardware that were showing blue patches that were inexistent at higher zooms, for instance.

To reiterate, based on my non-scientific observations the K20d LCD is not as good an indicator of the real picture as the K200d LCD was, at least in RAW. It's a shame but no big deal once you know about it.

letomuaddib

PS: Anyone who knows more about this please chime in and correct my misunderstandings. Also, if anyone has definitive information of the zoom level of the x32 (and which is the true 100% zoom in the K20d) I would appreciate this as well.
09-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #12
Forum Member

Is it possible that you had the option to show the overexposure on in the menu
09-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sagaboy Quote
Dont give up yet....

Couple more learnings. Image is clear when you first go to it then gets all ugly after a sec (Or when it loads)..
I have links of the image on the lcd and the actual
Keep your eyes on the forehead.. image..http://www.sagaboy.com/DSC_0971.JPGhttp://www.sagaboy.com/IMGP4829.JPG

thank you again

Dominic
Looks like flash reflection off skin.
09-09-2008, 12:33 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by lequynorm Quote
Is it possible that you had the option to show the overexposure on in the menu
This is the most logical response. I agree with this.
If you have "bright areas" on, it will show white specs where there was any highlight burnout, and the same for the black underexposed areas. Make sure that is off, Im almost sure that it is your problem

Otherwise, go to the shop, take a BRAND NEW k20d, and your own SD card. Take the exact same image and see if it does the same.

Because this is some freaky stuff you are describing. Must be a user/config issue

PEBCAB
(Problem exists between camera and background)
09-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marlon Quote
This is the most logical response. I agree with this.
If you have "bright areas" on, it will show white specs where there was any highlight burnout, and the same for the black underexposed areas. Make sure that is off, Im almost sure that it is your problem

Otherwise, go to the shop, take a BRAND NEW k20d, and your own SD card. Take the exact same image and see if it does the same.

Because this is some freaky stuff you are describing. Must be a user/config issue

PEBCAB
(Problem exists between camera and background)
White? Mine shows red for overexposure and yellow for underexposure... or are we talking something different?