Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2008, 03:17 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Also, to the original poster. This is one of your first 3rds and only 9 posts since joining this month and its only the 8th. Why a negativity thread first time out?
It's been just a few months since i got the camera. Shot about 3000 photos since than. Realised than many discarded ones are discarded because they were out of focus. And fewer seemed to be in focus but lacked that "snap". Took em to someone who know better and been told that it was as a result of minor focusing imperfections.

I ordered my second lens a week ago.. FA 50mm 1.4.. to experience by first hand, how lens quality matters, what a larger aperture brings at low light conditions and maybe play with a narrower DOF..

The thing is i will keep buying lenses. And i do have the opportunity to switch to canon or nikon now but will not be able afford switching systems when a certain time comes..

So it's good to know what counts as "cons of Pentax" even to the Pentax user.. And maybe evaluate things better by the words of frank users..

But i realise now that a negative debate about Pentax is just something i shouldn't have posted..

Like every brand has its edges over other, they have their weaknesses.. And i just asked that weaknesses to the people who has experience with it..

But now it seems a better idea to learn these from reviewers that examine the cameras for a few days and write a verdict..

So...nevermind people..

09-08-2008, 03:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My only cons with Pentax is the current lack of open aperture metering with older K-mount lenses, the lack of faster long lenses, and being left out by some of the third party lens makers.
09-08-2008, 04:01 AM   #18

I find my AF on my k20D quite fast and spot on when using faster lenses. Advertising wise, Pentax does a bit in South Africa, shops, quite a few around in city areas, but NOT enough.
Support, excellent!
I can't complain too much.

Sigma covers my third party needs quite a bit, and I don't really need longer lenses, so Im just lucky here.
09-08-2008, 04:07 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I am quite happy with the AF speed on my trusty *istDS and my only comparison with it to another brand is with a 30D with an "L" class lens on it (EF 70-200 2.8L IS USM) owned by the canon fanboy at work - he wanted to show me what I was missing.

Well in the fluorescent lit office his lens hunted and hunted and couldn't lock the Pentax with the rather humble Sigma 55 -200 locked in the focus no probs.

So I had to hear a full on diatribe about all the paparazzi use canon blah blah blah I just simply agreed with him and wished him good luck, as he kept trying to get his lens to lock focus.

09-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Spongefingers;[B]The included body cap and lens rear cap. They are totally crappy![/B]

Spongefingers,
You could spend the money that you saved on the K10D and buy a crate of caps of your choice.

Dave
09-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I can't compare with other brand as I've never used their product, but there's a couple of things that I'm not satisfied with on my K10D :
- High ISO and noice : shooting in low light can make me push to 1600 where we can get some horrible square shapped noice.
- Dynamic of images, I hate having to choose between burnt zones and pitch black.

Once again, I didn't try the competition and can't tell if they are doing better for the same price. But I've seen stunning results on night shot with Nikon's D300 and D700.
I know that the answer to those 2 critics would be : upgrade to K20D. K10D was the best I could afford at the time, and those 2 are the dark spots on a body that I love otherwise.
09-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by throndor Quote
As much as we love Pentax, i guess we all suffered from certain things about our camera from time to time..
Time to be honest about it. What did you suffer most?
I have been thinking seriously about leaving Pentax for Nikon for the last year. Occasionally the urge to switch becomes truly painful, but it passes. Right now I'm calm again and not just resigned, but reasonably happy about having Pentax stuff.

Nevertheless, if I were to win the Texas lottery, I'd switch tomorrow. My basic take on Pentax is that the cameras are very good - especially the K20D - and the lenses are also very good. But there are some serious drawbacks, as well, and, in my opinion at least, the main strength of the Pentax system is not image quality but affordability.

What's wrong with the K10D/K20D?
  1. The flash units from Pentax are badly made - not worthy to be attached to the K20D. And although I have no direct experience with it, on the basis of conversations with Nikon and Canon pros, I'm convinced that P-TTL is a much weaker flash exposure system than the ones used by Nikon or Canon. In short, while Pentax seems like a fantastic system for available light photography, or for studio shooting with external lights, I don't think it's a good system (compared to Nikon especially) for normal hot-shoe flash photography.
  2. Faster auto-focus especially in low light would be extremely nice. I do a lot of low-light shooting and I have missed shots because the camera can't find the focus fast enough. I do ask a lot from the camera, but I know that I'm not asking more than my friends shooting Nikon ask of their D80s or D200/D300s - the cameras it seems fair to compare the K10D/K20D to.
  3. My experience with Pentax support (a month to get a flash repaired) was not good. Perhaps it's no better for other manufacturers. But if Apple Computer can fix my computer with a total turnaround time of 72 hours or less, I don't see why Pentax couldn't do the same. And I don't care if Nikon support sucks, too. Here's an area where Pentax could shine, and it definitely doesn't.
  4. Finally there are the problems that come from NOT being one of the two top-selling brands.
And that's about it. I don't personally care about frames per second. (More would be nice, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't matter to me - and I shoot a fair bit of amateur sports.) I wish there were more lenses to select from, but that's not such a big deal for me.

Will
09-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by throndor Quote
It's been just a few months since i got the camera. Shot about 3000 photos since than. Realised than many discarded ones are discarded because they were out of focus. And fewer seemed to be in focus but lacked that "snap". Took em to someone who know better and been told that it was as a result of minor focusing imperfections.

I ordered my second lens a week ago.. FA 50mm 1.4.. to experience by first hand, how lens quality matters, what a larger aperture brings at low light conditions and maybe play with a narrower DOF..

The thing is i will keep buying lenses. And i do have the opportunity to switch to canon or nikon now but will not be able afford switching systems when a certain time comes..

So it's good to know what counts as "cons of Pentax" even to the Pentax user.. And maybe evaluate things better by the words of frank users..

But i realise now that a negative debate about Pentax is just something i shouldn't have posted..

Like every brand has its edges over other, they have their weaknesses.. And i just asked that weaknesses to the people who has experience with it..

But now it seems a better idea to learn these from reviewers that examine the cameras for a few days and write a verdict..

So...nevermind people..
The point I was attempting to make is that this thread was titled "Frankly: Cons of Pentax." You can look at reviews from the Mags etc all you want. The also list the Pros etc. Keep in mind that they may have a conflict of interest that isn't stated up front like a major sponsorship/ad campaign with on of the big companies as well. Also, this title could also be "Frankly: Cons of Canon" or "Frankly: Cons of Nikon" or "Frankly: Cons of Olympus." Why not a thread on AF in a certain price range for example and do a compare contrast. I can tell you from shooting Nikon D70s and my 5700 that cost more at the time than the current price of a K20D, the K200d and K20d aren't bad in the AF arena with a fast lens. Some times the issue is more with me than the camera.

Its nothing personal. If this were a Canon site and a new site member started posting "Cons of Canon" I'd be curious about their motivation also.

09-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Ima begginer to this and my K100D super is great!

no problems i can find with it!
great cam at a great price....

I am a loyal ( sorry about the fuji and canon) pentaxuser and owner...

I started with a ME given to me... I loved it bought lenses yes got LBA!
now have a K100D super and my girlfriend has the ME....

if pentax has not yet made itfor your pentax camera, then another company has!
So stop moaning and go and enjoy your pentax camera!
it was designed to take pictures, not for you to moan about!!!!!!
09-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote

I noticed several times, that his camera did the AF trick of running all the way to infinity focus and back to minimum distance, before locking on to the correct focus.

My point is that even the vaunted Nikon auto-focus has some of the same problems that affect mere mortals like Pentax cameras.
I have D1's, D2H's etc and i still have the hunt problems in low light. It's not a Pentax thing alone. I wish people would not take these online reviews to heart.

QuoteQuote:
I find that my K10D focuses just fine, and, if memory serves me correctly, about the the same speed as my brother's D200. I'll admit that it is not as good in low light.
Yes, i think my K10D is about the same in speed as my D200. You should hear it crank away with the Nikon 80-200F2.8 D lens,, loud and clunky. Just the other day, i shot some photos of my daughter and her horse she had just sold, and wanted some head shots etc for keep sakes.
Ten from the D200 and 10 from the K10D, in low light, heavy overcast sky's. Keepers were 8 for Nikon and 7 for K10D. Pretty close if you ask me.

Dave
09-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #26
Inactive Account

The con of Pentax is being associated with so many people so consistently bash the brand. I registered just to comment on this. I'm a frequent poster on other forums. Happy lurker here until I read this. I think I might vomit however if I read one more Pentax suck because thread. Trust me, I get it. I know the limitations of the system. I'm waiting for Photokina and PMA to see what happens with hopes of improvements. Generally tho, I'm happy with my lowly k100d Super and Limiteds for now. Time will tell whether I will stay or go. But suffice it to say, I don't think there's anything more that we can add until the next models come out that Ned hasn't heard already.
09-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
It's one thing to describe Pentax AF as less good then the others, and of course, by all accounts it is.

However, I can't help suspecting that if someone's experience of it is 'crappy', then it's more likely to be a problem behind the viewfinder than in front of it.
uh no, it's crappy.
09-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sharpshoota Quote
uh no, it's crappy.
And you get that straight from……

DP Review (admittedly thousands of shots, not a problem for them)
PopPhoto (not a mention)
Trusted Reviews (nope, not there)

Having used Nikon, I can say that the Pentax is neither worse nor better. I shot a D40, a D70 and a D80 and it gets better as you pay more, but it's hardly noticeable between brands (unless the # of AF points is factor, and it is on the D40/x/60 if you want your focus off centre frame). They all hunt in low light with a variety of lenses, but usually less with faster glass; sometimes there are problems at infinity with glare and metering issues, but the Nikon AF and the Pentax AF have field performance that is indistinguishable within comparable price ranges. (I have not shot other brands extensively enough to state comparative opinions. But by all accounts, the benchmarks is set by Nikon and Canon similarly).

What irritates me about these blanket statements is they come from:

1) People who are just parroting someone's elese' ill-informed opinions and who have not tried other brands extensively. They read it on that "interweb thingy…" then pass it around as a truth, a meme.

2) People who compare a major price level above. Sure the K200D or the K10D and K20D are not going to match the all-pro models from Nik/Can. That's what you pay more for. Those cameras have additional phase detection systems that add a lot to the price. The K20D has about the same performance with decent lens as the D80, and the K200D outperforms the D40/x/60 in my experience simply because of more focus points.

3) People who simply expect the camera to do all the work for them. The dumbest thing I hear is that the Pentax is "slower" in low light because it does not have an AF Assist beam. Guess what? AF Assist beams are the surest way to slow down AF:

Understanding Camera Autofocus

Pentax positions itself with its prime lenses and durable frames as a "technician's" camera. I think Pentax assumes that the people who buy into the brand will take the time to nail down the parameters and specs to get the best shots using the best techniques the equipment has to offer within the photographic process. It's a photographer's tool, not a glorified P&S. The tried and true the technique of AF (since the Pentax Me for Pete's sake) is to find an edge with contrast (faces do well). At the low to mid-DSLR price points they are all designed pretty much the same.

Last year I shot 2 birthdays with the Nikon D80 and the 17-70 (very nice, fast lens), but had just as many problems in low light as I do with the K200D in the same circumstances with the kit lens. It's negligible (save the fact the Pentax has in-body SR and the Nikon D80 17-70 lens is not VR; and the whole Nikon package cost about $250 more at the time than the K10D). I have nearly zero AF problems in adequate light with any brand. They are all excellent given a decent lens.

The whole AF thing is a red herring. You got o Nikon or Canon forums you see the exact same griping about "slow AF". But also more complaints about water getting into the body
09-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #29

My complaints have more to do with front and back focusing as opposed to speed. Yes, it's crappy.
09-09-2008, 02:22 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharpshoota Quote
My complaints have more to do with front and back focusing as opposed to speed. Yes, it's crappy.
Do you focus-recompose? I discovered my number of keepers (with respect to portraits) increased dramatically when I started selecting the AF point instead of focus-recompose.

In my case, it was user error. The camera was focussing correctly, and then I was moving the focal plane...