Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2008, 04:24 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Brilliant pictures can be achieved with any camera brand.

Shot 200 pics over a weekend with a C***N 400D and found 2 things it is superior in doing;

Auto Exposure and AWB - into the sun, back lit - you name it - dead nuts perfect

I even checked the histogram with each shot and it was perfectly placed.

Camera was just set in "action" mode.

Also definitely much cleaner from 400 ISO onwards, no question

Cons; focus was faster but many out of focus, jpegs very soft.

Found color very weak (even after twiddling) compared to Pentax.

For whatever reason I just cannot get close to what Pentax gives me (Pic IQ, Color etc)
with the Canon.

d

09-09-2008, 04:35 AM   #32

What I don't get...

I really fail to understand the problems people complain about with autofocus.

Surely you are looking through the viewfinder. You can SEE if the camera has focussed correctly/ on the thing you want to focus on rather than the thing behind/ in front of etc. If it is not in focus then don't take the shot but focus again. If there is not enough light then switch to manual - its not quantum mechanics.

With a little care and intelligence (even given relatively poor eyesight - I have always to keep my glasses on) I have no problems focussing with my K10D with any of my lenses.

I did when I first got my camera a year ago, but then I learned to use it. It really is not that difficult. I shoot a lot of motor sport- 200 mph cars. Just remember to turn shake reduction off while panning. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif
09-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K10D is my first DSLR coming from film and my only other digital experience is a Fuji point and shoot so I really don't have anything to compare it to. My other autofocus experience was a Nikon film camera and I don't know if it would be a fair comparison because I never used it in the same ways I use the Pentax. The AF was quick and accurate but so is the K10D in good light and I rarely used the film camera in bad light because I didn't get good results. I recently got some decent shots of a whitetail fawn while hiking at dusk that I wouldn't have attemtped with my film camera.
09-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Biggest issues with pentax.

1) Lack of decent flashes. The 540 is just not cutting it, the 360 is ok, and the 200 just doesn't cut it for much of anything. No PTTL rign flash, etc. The lack of TTL compatibility and lack of a PC sync socket on the k10d make it the model you notice it most on. Pentax cameras are high capability and high value. Their flash linup is overpriced and underperforms.

2) Lens lineup. To date they STILL lack a long fast zoom that is in current production. With the exception of the tamron, assuming it hasn't gone directly from available to painfully scarce, it isn't even an area covered by third parties.

3)Availability of everything but the bodies. What they do have, you often have to wait to get, and if you don't buy it when you see it, it may not be available for quite some time.

Most of their serious issues can be summed up by saying their system has serious gaps. Since you aren't buying a camer, you are buying into a system, that's a serious issue.

However, I'll add a fourth item.

4) Lack of an AF assist lamp on the body. It'd go a long way to mitigating the low light AF issues.

09-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #35
Inactive Account

[QUOTE=raz-0;338583]Biggest issues with pentax.

3)Availability of everything but the bodies. What they do have, you often have to wait to get, and if you don't buy it when you see it, it may not be available for quite some time. QUOTE]

This is not so much Pentax I suspect as the camera stores. Henry's is the local chain in my area and they are well-stocked with Pentax gear - including lenses, flashes, batteries and remotes. Every store usually has multiples of each.

Just wish I could get some extension tubes though. The Cokin ones seem to be out of stock everywhere.
09-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member

>Raz says Biggest issues with pentax.
>
>1) Lack of decent flashes. The 540 is just not cutting it, the 360 is ok, and the 200 just doesn't cut it for much of anything. No PTTL rign flash, etc. The lack of TTL compatibility and lack of a PC sync socket on the k10d make it the model you notice it most on. Pentax cameras are high capability and high value. Their flash linup is overpriced and underperforms.

- Overpriced?? Did you look at any other brands to claim that? I think they are well priced and they offer a lot for the price, especially the 360.
- TTL compatibility: get over it, it will not come back it's an old film technology
- PC Sync: now on K20D, but you just need an hot shoe adapter on the K10D
- No P-TTL Ring flash: I agree.

What I don't like about the 540: the relatively slow recycle time.

> However, I'll add a fourth item.
> 4) Lack of an AF assist lamp on the body. It'd go a long way to mitigating the low light AF issues.

The external flash assist beam is much better anyway and less intrusive. I know a D300 shooter and its lamp is too strong for photograping people IMHO.
09-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #37

raz-0: How can the 360 Flash be "OK", but the 540 "not cutting it"? The 540 is an upgrade of the 360...

Agree about the ring flash... I have been desperatley tryin g to find one compatible with Pentax gear for years!!!

Gene
09-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #38
Veteran Member

From a generally reliable source, the ring flash is apparently on it's way. My source might be wrong (he's my gear supplier, and he's got some connections with Pentax), but, up to now, everything he told me came as he said, so I'm inclined to believe him.

09-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
raz-0: How can the 360 Flash be "OK", but the 540 "not cutting it"? The 540 is an upgrade of the 360...

Agree about the ring flash... I have been desperatley tryin g to find one compatible with Pentax gear for years!!!

Gene
Because the 360 is a mediocre flash that is reasonably competitive with other mediocre flashes. It also seems to only have middling issues with variable exposure, and every other copy doesn't seem to be going back to pentax 5 and 6 times to fix stuff that shouldn't break in the first place. If it were a swivel as well as tilt head, lots of folks would probably be happy enough with it. It's only $40 more than an sb-600, and the only real thing you get for that premium is optical slave.

The 540 on the other hand is a poorly executed, if not poorly engineered turd. Look at the number of posts about it breaking, getting bad exposures, getting stuck on the camera, just flat out failing, etc. It's price point isn't absurd given pentax market share and features, but i'd gladly pay another $25-50 for the thing to actually not be a piece of crap and work. You aren't getting $100 more flash for your $100 price increase over the 360 either. Other systems aren't free form odd price point manipulation either, but having a lot more flashes in their lineup takes a bit of the sting out of it by offering more compromises.

As for overpriced, the main thing that makes price comparison hard is pentax's optical slave deal. given the complaints about shots with closed eyes when using it, it might not be worth much. If that is the case, compare the $320 price of teh 540 to the canon 430 ex at $245.

For 3rd party offerings, the sigma 530 is $20 less, and if you go by feedback from forum dwellers, is less inconsistent, less flaky, and constructed better. It still doesn't work 100% as far as build or exposure though. The only flash for pentax that generally has positive reviews and features to meet or beat the 540 is the METZ 58, and that is $400. For canon and nikon, it is only $350. The metz 48 is less stellar than the 58, and still runs at a $50 premium for pentax.

If the 540 actually worked well, I'd just chalk it up to market share, and a price premium being the cost of being a small market. But paying a premium for limited options that don't work as well as in a competing system is a real negative for a lot of people.
09-11-2008, 12:45 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ukbluetooth Quote

Surely you are looking through the viewfinder. You can SEE if the camera has focussed correctly/ on the thing you want to focus on rather than the thing behind/ in front of etc. If it is not in focus then don't take the shot but focus again. If there is not enough light then switch to manual - its not quantum mechanics.

With a little care and intelligence (even given relatively poor eyesight - I have always to keep my glasses on) I have no problems focussing with my K10D with any of my lenses.

I did when I first got my camera a year ago, but then I learned to use it. It really is not that difficult. I shoot a lot of motor sport- 200 mph cars. Just remember to turn shake reduction off while panning. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif
Can't agree with you more. There is whole lot of people who just want to point the camera in the general direction of a moving subject and great images coming out of it no matter what.

About shake reduction : yes. It has to be off while doing panning

BIF ok with manual focus lens: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Daniel
09-11-2008, 03:30 AM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ukbluetooth Quote

Sorry for not sharing your point of view.. AutoFocus does not do something that can not otherwise be done on a manual lens. IT'S NOT THERE TO FOCUS THE UNFOCUSABLE. IT IS THERE TO MAKE THINGS EASIER. You should not have to focus again and again until the camera gets it correct. If it was the case, than why have AF.. Just focus manually..
And you are correct.. Yes, even birds in flight can be shot without AF.. Why bother with AF then? It's easier, thats why..

Using manual focus is just a choice.. And everybody DOES focus manually when they think they need it.. But when you think you do not need it, you should not need it.. It's not laziness..

Are people who drive cars with automatic gearboxes necessarily lazy? With modern automatic gearboxes you usually have the opportunity to switch gears manually, so when you think you need to, you just do it manually. Can you blame a driver who claims that his AutoGear car just will not switch gears comfortably.. Can you tell him just to use it in manual mode as it will take nothing more than a small arm movement once in a while..

The Bottom line is AF is there for mostly for comfort.. And you should feel comfortable with it.. otherwise you have the right to bitch about it all you want if you want..

PS : sorry for unnative english..
----------------
Now playing: Frente - Bizarre Love Triangle
via FoxyTunes
09-11-2008, 04:03 AM   #42

Photos: Gallery
Exactly. I own Canon and Nikon bodies and they consistently focus faster and more accurately in my experience. Don't try to belittle people because they say that there are flaws in the Pentax system. Everything can use some improvements. It doesn't mean that we are terrible photographers. These are areas that need improvement in the system. Trust me, I can always make the shot if one thing doesn't work. Otherwise I don't get paid. Moments don't always repeat themselves though.
09-11-2008, 07:08 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sharpshoota Quote
Exactly. I own Canon and Nikon bodies and they consistently focus faster and more accurately in my experience. Don't try to belittle people because they say that there are flaws in the Pentax system. Everything can use some improvements. It doesn't mean that we are terrible photographers. These are areas that need improvement in the system. Trust me, I can always make the shot if one thing doesn't work. Otherwise I don't get paid. Moments don't always repeat themselves though.
So true. :ugh:
09-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Don't try to belittle people because they say that there are flaws in the Pentax system. .
As far as I know, there was nobody, at least in this long thread, belittling anybody. The fact that certain people taking certain view (that it is satisfactory for his/her own use) does not mean that it is belittling people having different view. IMO, AF is not Pentax forte and except for the extreme case of BIF or fast sport , Pentax excels in all other areas.
Again I want to stress it is IMO.
I use Sony TV and I say good things about it. It does not mean that it is the best. If you do only like Samsung/ LG and you state your position , it does not mean that you are belittling Sony TV users.

QuoteQuote:

Everything can use some improvements. It doesn't mean that we are terrible photographers. These are areas that need improvement in the system. Trust me,
We trust you 100%.
Ask those unhappy Mk 3 users .
We Chinese has this saying: all mothers are women

QuoteQuote:
I can always make the shot if one thing doesn't work. Otherwise I don't get paid. Moments don't always repeat themselves though
That is your view. We respect that . And I believe you know your businesss and you have every right of choosing the right gear that you are comfortable with for your business.

The above came from a MF BIF shooter.

Daniel
09-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #45
Site Supporter

I can only compare my d200k to my d70s with any significant use, but the Pentax is faster. Although I only have 2 nikon lenses. The kit lens and a Nikkor 100mm macro.