Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cons of Pentax

An earlier post noted:

"When I got my K10D + 18-55 kit last year, I was really happy with it, except for one minor issue:
The included body cap and lens rear cap. They are totally crappy"

Hey, body and lens rear caps aren't hard to replace. How about the petal shade for the kit lens? The lens is surprisingly good. As a believer in lens shades I use the petal shade all the time, and its bayonet mounting is wearing - after about a year of use - to the point that I'm afraid it will fall off and be lost. I'll bet a replacement is absurdly expensive, if not made of "nonobtainium". Surely Pentax could engineer this better!

But hey, if we're reduced to carping about lens shades and caps, doesn't it suggest that the K10D is pretty good??

10-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #62
Inactive Account

I really haven't found anything to carp about when it comes to Pentax. Yes, my roomate's XTi focuses a LITTLE bit faster, but it's not by much, and when we went to a local rock concert to take pictures armed with the Spotmatic (me) and the XTI (him), he had to turn his AF off to actually get the camera to behave. So a lot of good it did him (BTW he was using a mid-level Sigma zoom for the show, not the kit lens). My K200D focuses fast enough for me. Besides, with the photos I take (mostly landscape) quick focusing is a secondary concern.

Then there's the Spotmatic itself. 10 years shooting rock bands (Canada and Australia), 5 years chasing my father's children (me, the little terror that I was), and 20 years in a box in the closet, and with nothing but a battery for the lightmeter, it's fully functional and still readily usable. My K200D and a lot of the lenses I've seen for it feel like they could easily match that track record, and to me, that speaks volumes in today's throw-away society.

Where Pentax needs to get their heads together is having a low, mid, and high market plan. I have absolutely no problems with their proposal to get FF quality out of APS-C bodies, but they really should pitch the 645D concept more, and get people genuinely interested that they don't have to dump $20K into a Leica to get medium-format quality. I'm not even their target market for such things and I'm interested.

ADVERTISE, guys! Get someone to create "Get A Pentax" commercials or something, with John Hodgman playing the K200D and Justin Long playing the XSi, and drop a bucket of water on each. Get creative.

Or you guys could hire me as an advertising consultant. I could use the cash.
10-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #63

I hate how myths like these (crappy AF, WB issues) are created and perpetuated on the internet. A lot of people just repeat what they read from other sites that's basically just hearsay.

Repeat a lie enough times and it will soon become truth.

Just get to know your cameras and shoot!
10-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #64

Iīm about to make the switch from my canon xti to a k20d. But publicity is winning and iīm seeing myself buying a 40d which is not perfect. If you read the canon forums about the 40d it has mayor focusing problems and how about the famouse 99 error of death. All cameras are not perfect. All i want is to take good photos and that the camera respondes to what i want.
What really called my attention about pentax is the shake reduction and the weather sealing. Two things that canon and nikon donīt have on there lower end modeles and if you get any lenes with IS your going to pay a whole lot more for that.
Still donīt know what to do go for the big ones or go with pentax.

10-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Go for Pentax, you won't be sorry. I'm coming from Nikon, and I don't miss anything with the Pentax. It'true that Canon and Nikon focuses faster in SOME situations, but they don't focus more accurately than my Pentax. And, to my liking, the colors from the Pentax just look more "live". And you have shake reduction with every lenses. As far as noise is concerned, I'm not afraid of putting my K20D next to a Nikon D300.
10-03-2008, 06:38 AM   #66

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
An earlier post noted:

"When I got my K10D + 18-55 kit last year, I was really happy with it, except for one minor issue:
The included body cap and lens rear cap. They are totally crappy"

Hey, body and lens rear caps aren't hard to replace. How about the petal shade for the kit lens? The lens is surprisingly good. As a believer in lens shades I use the petal shade all the time, and its bayonet mounting is wearing - after about a year of use - to the point that I'm afraid it will fall off and be lost. I'll bet a replacement is absurdly expensive, if not made of "nonobtainium". Surely Pentax could engineer this better!

But hey, if we're reduced to carping about lens shades and caps, doesn't it suggest that the K10D is pretty good??
Yes, the K10D is very good!
Don't think I was having a whinge about it, I just thought it is a bit diappointing that the quality of the sundry items is supposedly not as good as it used to be, not up to the standard of the camera. I've always found that clip-on or screw-on caps are much less likely to fall off than the push on types.
I could post here many other niggling issues I have with this camera, but they would not be ones that haven't been discussed to death already. (Also, most of them are pathetically minor issues!)

A suggestion about your petal hood bayonet fitting:
If it's worn down so much that the hood is falling off, then you could try applying very tiny blobs of epoxy resin or superglue to the centre point of each of the four bayonet flanges. Let them set hard and see if it snaps on again. Repeat if necessary...
10-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
an apology to a newcomer...

QuoteOriginally posted by throndor Quote
It's been just a few months since i got the camera. Shot about 3000 photos since than. Realised than many discarded ones are discarded because they were out of focus. And fewer seemed to be in focus but lacked that "snap". Took em to someone who know better and been told that it was as a result of minor focusing imperfections.

I ordered my second lens a week ago.. FA 50mm 1.4.. to experience by first hand, how lens quality matters, what a larger aperture brings at low light conditions and maybe play with a narrower DOF..

The thing is i will keep buying lenses. And i do have the opportunity to switch to canon or nikon now but will not be able afford switching systems when a certain time comes..

So it's good to know what counts as "cons of Pentax" even to the Pentax user.. And maybe evaluate things better by the words of frank users..

But i realise now that a negative debate about Pentax is just something i shouldn't have posted..

Like every brand has its edges over other, they have their weaknesses.. And i just asked that weaknesses to the people who has experience with it..

But now it seems a better idea to learn these from reviewers that examine the cameras for a few days and write a verdict..

So...nevermind people..
Sorry you got taken to task and I apoplogize for those who would rather attack the messanger than listen to message. Mostly the Forum responses will be on the specific camera issues you raised, and most folks here are open to debate and listen to differing points of view; in that exchange of views and information, we all learn. Your response is the best course,
FHPhotographer

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 10-04-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: reconsidered comments