Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #1

Frankly; Cons of Pentax

Much has been said when it comes to camera brands. Many Pros and Cons lists have been written about all.
As much as we love Pentax, i guess we all suffered from certain things about our camera from time to time..
Time to be honest about it. What did you suffer most?
As hard as it may be for people who loves this brand this much, may we once have the balls to speak it up loud.. And maybe than the people at pentax will have the balls to admit it and get their hands on to do something about it..

For starters;

+1 for crappy autofocus.. It is a quite known fact that the Pentax autofocus system works worse than the other leading market brands.. More evident at low light situations..

+1 for lack of advertisement.. I love that Pentax is an underdog when compared to Nikon, canon and sometimes even sony.. Hell, I've bought the thing partly because it's an underdog..But not everybody lives in the states and for quite a large part of the world, pentax lenses are hard to find especially when you are going for second hand. Advertise dudes, sell more..

09-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by throndor Quote
+1 for crappy autofocus.. It is a quite known fact that the Pentax autofocus system works worse than the other leading market brands.. More evident at low light situations..
Quality, price, support -- pick any two of the three. Maybe Pentax could have the most kickass telepathic autofocus system ever invented, but it would cost more. Could very well be that they're well aware of how the AF system compares to others and are working on it -- who knows that the rumoured K20D Super might bring.. Might be that they'd rather improve support and spend money on a new FF sensor body before working on AF issues, only Pentax knows.

QuoteQuote:
+1 for lack of advertisement.. I love that Pentax is an underdog when compared to Nikon, canon and sometimes even sony.. Hell, I've bought the thing partly because it's an underdog..But not everybody lives in the states and for quite a large part of the world, pentax lenses are hard to find especially when you are going for second hand. Advertise dudes, sell more..
I dunno, saw a huge billboard outside of Vancouver on the ferry for the K20D, I was really surprised to see it, but happy. Missed getting a photo of it though It sounds like Pentax have purchased lots of ad space around the host city for Photokina as well.

I don't know why they would advertise second hand lenses?? keh, ebay, lots of places to get second hand lenses, and cheap too

edit: preemptive, post photos so we can see practical examples.
09-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Pick any brand, any model...even the brand new ones that have been just announced, and you can find flaws or reason for not thinking that camera or brand traits are 100% perfect. Pentax, while it has it's warts in some areas, are much better in other areas than other brands....and all other brands have that same story. Pick your poison or passion when you select your gear or system.

Secondly, advertising? What would that make you do, feel better about the brand you have in your bag or actually affect you in a positive way?

Shoot the best photos you can possibly shot, never stop trying to perfect your craft or hobby and let your outcome speak for itself. I think too many people here and on other boards spend too much time looking for Pentax to assuage their insecurities and ease maybe some buyers remorse that the brand should be responsible for.
09-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Only one from me
Lack of teleconverters and extension tubes - only second hand or third party...
It would be nice if Pentax could supply COMPLETE kit.

Other than that - I just want some time to take some pictures

09-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #5

In a swedish good-reputated photo magazine called "FOTO", they did a comparsion between the D300, 40D and the K20D and measured AF speed. The 40D was superior, but the K20D and the D300 were almost identical. I can't recall what lenses they did use though.

And I can't say anything about the accuracy though, nothing more than I find it quite satisfying.

Yeye, whatever, every brand has its pros and cons.

______

The only thing that I can think of at the moment is the lack of a ring-type flash as a con..

Cheers! (:

Last edited by Sebbe_J; 09-07-2008 at 01:11 PM.
09-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The feeling of having poor AF is compounded when slower (i.e. F5.6) zooms are used...though I would blame the lenses more than the bodies. I've used both Canon and Nikon bodies in low light and they too had issues with AF.

While I don't really have that issue since I generally use the 85/1.4 as my walkaround (more light means more accurate AF), I definitely think Pentax should start coming up with some more expensive bodies, and make better marketing decisions overall. I fear they won't change the way things work, however, since it seems like they've been screwing up since the film era (starting with the Program Plus body).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

+1 for crappy autofocus..
It's one thing to describe Pentax AF as less good then the others, and of course, by all accounts it is.

However, I can't help suspecting that if someone's experience of it is 'crappy', then it's more likely to be a problem behind the viewfinder than in front of it.
09-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

For most these are the pros and cons...(i'm not making fun but in reality it's how the consumer thinks)

Pentax:

Pros

1. It's not a Nikon.
2. It's not a Canon.

Cons

1. It's a Pentax

Think about that real long ...LOL

Primarily, i know what i like to shoot and i know what tools i need that said brand is secondary.

09-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The feeling of having poor AF is compounded when slower (i.e. F5.6) zooms are used...though I would blame the lenses more than the bodies. I've used both Canon and Nikon bodies in low light and they too had issues with AF.
I second this statement, except that I shot Nikon before Pentax and I have noticed no difference between the brands.

In fact, the Nikon lower end (D40, D40, D60) compared to the K200D were worse ins some ways due to fewer focus point.

Furthermore, none of the reviews appear to give the issue any legs.

It's something of a meme passed around between forums that gets its credence simply because it's been passed around a lot. If you say something enough times, enough people will gullibly believe it's true, even in the face of objective testing that says otherwise.
09-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Autofocus in AF-S in perfectly fine for me, it's fast (serious), even in low-light (especially with external flash beam light). Where I have problem is with moving subjects and AF-C, the lack of any real tracking capability. If the subjects are far enough and don't fill the frame it's quite OK, but as soon as they are at about 5-10m, the system is not fast enough. Simple example: a 18-months baby coming to you from 10m, in daylight with a K20D + DA*50-135/2.8 in AF-C, I had not one picture in correct focus. In low-light, a baby moving constantly her head, the AF-S will often give up locking (with no assist beam).

I'm seriously considering an used Canon 30D or 40D with a fast USM lens just for that kind of job, a system like lol101 did buy for exactly the same reasons. I'll wait until PMA09 to see if AF is improved. If not I'll get the second system for fast tracking and fast fps.

About fast fps... 3fps is not that bad, the problem is that in AF-C you're very lucky if you get near that rate. And what's the point of having fast fps if AF doesn't follow the subject? Exactly why the 21fps on the K20D is not that much useful (not to mention the complete blackout of viewfinder).

Last edited by ManuH; 09-07-2008 at 07:38 PM.
09-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I didn't even know my Spotmatic had autofocus. I think I'll remove the manual from the plastic bag. Only "Con" I know of is the light meter failed after 36 years. They really ought to last longer than that.
09-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Autofocus

Last September, I was at my niece's wedding in St. Petersburg, Florida. My brother, the father of the bride, had been told by his wife that, under no circumstances was he to spend the entire wedding/reception taking pictures.

So, he asked me to use his D200, with a Nikon 18-200mm zoom, to take the pictures he wasn't allowed to. The wedding took place at 4:00pm, in a hotel on the beach, so there was plenty of light. This was a very clear, sunny day in Florida. The light had to be at least EV 16.

I noticed several times, that his camera did the AF trick of running all the way to infinity focus and back to minimum distance, before locking on to the correct focus.

My point is that even the vaunted Nikon auto-focus has some of the same problems that affect mere mortals like Pentax cameras.

Does the OP even own a Pentax camera, or has he at least used one? I get a little tired of people running down Pentax, who have never held one in their hands. "It is a quite known fact that ..." usually means that they've simply read about it on a website somewhere (probably Ricehigh's).

I find that my K10D focuses just fine, and, if memory serves me correctly, about the the same speed as my brother's D200. I'll admit that it is not as good in low light.
09-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #13

My brother in law shoots with Canon L lenses and I've seen his "discard" pile of photos.
Plenty of missed focus in that lot.

I think the AF issue is just in a lot of peoples heads.
09-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I agree with a slow lens being a big problem regardless of the brand. Also, to the original poster. This is one of your first 3rds and only 9 posts since joining this month and its only the 8th. Why a negativity thread first time out?
09-08-2008, 02:29 AM   #15

When I got my K10D + 18-55 kit last year, I was really happy with it, except for one minor issue:
The included body cap and lens rear cap. They are totally crappy!

Granted, most people will just take them off and let them live in the boxes if they always have one lens or another attached, but some people expect better. I am one of those who has kept them stored away, as I wouldn't want to use them unless I absolutely have to.
So far I have had to buy an aftermarket rear lens cap - a cheap Indian make, but far superior to the pathetic included cap (it actually locks on and I'm not concerned that it'll fall off.) I am also considering buying an old-style second hand body cap that I can use with a modicum of confidence.
I'm starting to wonder if most of the old stuff is generally better.

Seriously Pentax, spend a couple more pennies and make your customers feel they've bought something that's quality -all- the way.