Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice one Precision, really impressive service

Get my lens back after a full month in repairs (Precision not being able to fix it themselves, sent it to Japan). And here's what I find. I'm now completely paranoid how this came by. Did they drop the lens with the cap on and had to send it to Japan for repairs? Did they drop the cap itself (although then I doubt the white mark would appear, cap is just not heavy enough for that)? If they dropped the lens, have they dropped it after they've received it from Japan, or before sending it in?

Must admit, this lens has been mostly trouble to me, and I'm really turned off buying expensive Pentax lenses for now. The partners they chose to repair their equipment, the poor QC (unless I'm just that unlucky) that allows 3 copies of the lens to exhibit decentering, just ugh. I haven't tested the lens itself yet, will try to do it tomorrow and hopefully (god, please make it so) lens itself is fixed.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ONE A2005  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ONE A2005  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ONE A2005  Photo 
05-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Didn't somebody have in issue with their 150-450, where they sent it in for the barrel coming out , and then the whole thing looked like it had been used in a rugby match in a carpark, dinted and scratched and whatnot??

I wouldn't be accepting that back, time to get onto Pentax/Ricoh headoffice for a full new replacement.
05-01-2018, 08:02 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The next question is:
Have you asked them to replace the cap?
Followed by:
How well does the lens work now? Is it fixed?

Steve
05-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I literally just opened the box I received today. It's 11pm, there's no way to contact them now. I'll be calling them first thing in the morning.

Lens focuses fine and seems to be ok, but I can't say for sure as I'm only shooting around the room and have no space to see if the original issue is still there.

What are my options? I can't return the lens (3rd time) to the store I bought it from. If the lens still exhibits the same issue as I had when I sent it in, what can i do..

05-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

I'd point it out to Precision in email (for record trail) and CC Ricoh NA reps on the chain if you can find their addresses. Don't be a chair and fold on this.. you have to be politely assertive.

If they fail to repair it.. contact Ricoh directly through the form (Ricoh Contact Form) and include the Precision order number and dates.

Eventually, after 3 or so repairs, I suspect they will just replace the item if it is still faulty (but don't quote me on that). And either way they should replace the damaged parts without question. But having photographic evidence goes a long way to spelling out your case.... if you have photos of what it looked like before sending to them then all the better.
05-01-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
What are my options? I can't return the lens (3rd time) to the store I bought it from. If the lens still exhibits the same issue as I had when I sent it in, what can i do..
If the lens shows same problem, it means they have failed to repair after taking 2 chances. They should offer you either new lens or cash back. Testing lenses is not fun job, they have made you do that three times. Additionally, if you paid for shipping, that is extra tax.
05-02-2018, 12:04 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ouch! Hopefully it's just the cap, but this is not a good sign (nor is it a good sign to see such a result after the recent string of mostly-positive feedback). In any case, they definitely owe you one new cap. Let us know about the lens when you can.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-02-2018, 12:17 AM   #8

I’ve only had one experience with Precision, a really bad one.
05-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sheeeesh

Stories like this one make me wonder if upgrading to K1 II makes any sense. I'm probably better off selling my mark I and buying new
05-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, quick update. Test shots with the lens can be found here - 15-30 after repairs, help me check the sequence please :) - PentaxForums.com

I called Precision, they said they'll send me a new cap. They didn't even ask me to send them photos, and didn't give me an email I can contact them at, so I can't really cc any Pentax rep to the report.
05-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

BTW...My sincerest sympathies in regards to this latest disappointment. I can't think of any other member who has had more troubles with purchased stuff and repair attempts. I hope all goes better for you from this point forward.

Steve
05-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's serious impact damage. Not somebody just dropping the lens cap. Either the lens with cap was dropped by someone before shipping or the lens took a serious hit during transit.

How did the packaging look when you received it? It's amazing how many people including companies are clueless about how to pack and isolate heavy objects for shipment.
05-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
That's serious impact damage. Not somebody just dropping the lens cap. Either the lens with cap was dropped by someone before shipping or the lens took a serious hit during transit.

How did the packaging look when you received it? It's amazing how many people including companies are clueless about how to pack and isolate heavy objects for shipment.
Box doesn't show much damage, and there's nothing in the box that could've created that white mark on the cap I don't think (unless it's paper receipt that lens was wrapped in). They had three layers of bubble wrap in there (smaller kind and the larger kind).

I'll try to test the lens indoors as well, see how that goes. Outdoors I notice right side being softer, before it was the left side.

I wonder, if I find decentering again, is there any chance to get my money back. I'd rather just skip this whole tedious process and get another lens for my UWA needs..

---------- Post added 05-02-18 at 10:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...My sincerest sympathies in regards to this latest disappointment. I can't think of any other member who has had more troubles with purchased stuff and repair attempts. I hope all goes better for you from this point forward.

Steve
Thank you Steve. I appreciate it!
05-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
It looks to me like it fell to the floor at some point and was stepped on.

Steve
05-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It looks to me like it fell to the floor at some point and was stepped on.

Steve
I don't think it can take a whole weight of a person, it's fairly thin plastic. And I don't think with it being so light, that it would crack like that from just dropping from a table.

I'm fearing it was dropped with the lens still attached.