Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #1

Standby of K20D

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. Just registered today. Partly because I have not been able to find an answer to my question below anywhere.

I have a K20D since June. I have it set to auto off after 3 minutes. A couple of times I have forgotten to switch the camera off and it has been in the bag over night. The day after the battery has been empty. Is this normal? How long can I expect the battery to last when the camera is in standby mode? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I also have a K100D which I on several occasions have left switched on in the bag for several days and I have been able to use it after.

Lennart

09-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
really? i can leave mine on for weeks, just like my d80.
09-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
That is what I would expect. Thanks!
09-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i should double check. i remember leaving it on pretty much all the time when traveling. i read it consumes pretty much the same as when it's off, when it's on standby (from my nikon readings). so i thought might as well leave it switched to the "on" position so i'm ready to shoot any time. unless i keep it in a bag where the shutter may be pressed or halfpressed.

i set mine to auto-off in 1 minute. i just left it on now and left it in my cabinet and will check on it tomorrow.

let's see what happens!

09-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
Inactive Account

K10D can last for days in the bag while in standby. If that was happening to me the first thing I'd check is the physical positioning of the camera in the bag, is something touching any of the buttons to stop it from actually going into standby mode. Test it out on the table, turn it on, put it on the table and check on it every few minutes to see if it's gone into standby mode, if not you may have bigger issues to resolve with Pentax.
09-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
The only three buttons that can wake the camera up from stand by seem to be the shutter release, the play-back and the Info buttons. I let the camera go into stand by and put it in the bag and closed the bag. Then opened the bag again to see if the camera was on but it wasn't. I'll leave it on but on a table over nigth to see if it does the same again.
09-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
Forum Member

I tend to cram my bag pretty full and have experienced the same issue a couple of times before.....but also found my K20 to be on (still) and have lots of juice left a couple of times.

I wonder if one of the shutter release buttons had a little pressure on it in the bag? In my case if I put the camera in the bag, with the battery grip on it and both switches turned on, I can easily see how the battery grip shutter release could have constant pressure on it while inside the bag...........especially after my wife 'puts it away' in a closet or cabinet!

Just a thought

09-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just switch off the camera before keeping it. Battery drain is usually a result of something inadvertently touching one of the operating buttons. After all camera startup is pretty much instantaneous.
09-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 4pisr Quote
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. Just registered today. Partly because I have not been able to find an answer to my question below anywhere.

I have a K20D since June. I have it set to auto off after 3 minutes. A couple of times I have forgotten to switch the camera off and it has been in the bag over night. The day after the battery has been empty. Is this normal? How long can I expect the battery to last when the camera is in standby mode? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I also have a K100D which I on several occasions have left switched on in the bag for several days and I have been able to use it after.

Lennart
When you turn the camera off...does it turn off or does the battery symbol remain visible on the top screen?
09-08-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Mine also lasts ages in standby mode. Whats the chances of some part of your bag continually pressing against the shutter button and turning it on through the night
09-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for replies.

I usually switch the camera off. The K20D remembers all settings so it's really not a problem but sometimes I simply forget to switch it off that is when I want to be sure the battery is not dead when I take it out again. No part of the bag touches any of the buttons that can turn the camera on. But it could be that when I tuc the strap in it was above the top of the camera and perhaps the strap then touched the shutter release button. I have rearranged the bag so that I must tuc the strap in at the bottom of the camera. The only way to tell the camera is on is the position of the switch is on. No battery symbol is visible.
09-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

okay i just checked again and its battery is still full