Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remote shutter release for K10/20D?

Hello all,

I'm looking for an electronic remote shutter release for my K10D (and future K20D!) but Pentax doesn't seem to offer one. Is this the case?

Did a quick check on B&H Photo and all they had was a 3rd party *tethered* cable release.

This is for doing multi-exposure/HDR photography which tends to be several seconds (early morning/late evening) and for which I use the 2"/mirror-up timer. So far I've been giving it the old "gentle squeeze" but I want to go completely electronic and untethered.

Thanks,
Terry Wyse

09-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

PentaxWebstore - Remotes, Releases I'm assuming they sell these elsewhere also.
09-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tlwyse Quote
Hello all,

I'm looking for an electronic remote shutter release for my K10D (and future K20D!) but Pentax doesn't seem to offer one. Is this the case?

Did a quick check on B&H Photo and all they had was a 3rd party *tethered* cable release.

This is for doing multi-exposure/HDR photography which tends to be several seconds (early morning/late evening) and for which I use the 2"/mirror-up timer. So far I've been giving it the old "gentle squeeze" but I want to go completely electronic and untethered.

Thanks,
Terry Wyse
I took a lot of time for testing SR, and while I was testing - I used all kinds of shutter releasing, and by far the best is wired release. I actually used canon original wired shutter release, produced for 20/350d, and it works just fine. A bit strange fact, in Croatia - Canon is about twice the price of Pentax in almoust anything, but - this wired shutter release, Pentax is 3x more expensive than Canon. This is probably due to the fact that Canon is not selling too many of those, since it's for quite old cameras, and newer models like 30d have different connectors
I found all wireless remotes a bit too much pain-in-the-butt (from oly c60 to pentax models) since you have to be pretty precise with aiming, so - wire is better, unless it's imposible to use it. IMHO, naturally
09-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #4

A Swedish distributor has a Pentax cable release "cs-205". It looks like the third party releases but this one has the Pentax name on it in the picture.

I do HDR all the time too. The great thing with the K20D is that you can do a set of bracketed shots with only one press on the shutter release. But I wonder why the mirror has to go up and down for each shot. Wouldn't it be great if it would stay up when you combine mirror up and autobracket?

09-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 4pisr Quote
A Swedish distributor has a Pentax cable release "cs-205". It looks like the third party releases but this one has the Pentax name on it in the picture.

I do HDR all the time too. The great thing with the K20D is that you can do a set of bracketed shots with only one press on the shutter release. But I wonder why the mirror has to go up and down for each shot. Wouldn't it be great if it would stay up when you combine mirror up and autobracket?
this is new to me... so, you choose bracketing, let's say 3 shots, you press shutter release once and camera takes 3 shots, 3 times flips mirror up-down, just like you normaly took 3 shots, right?

Last edited by silent_eyes; 09-08-2008 at 01:27 PM.
09-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #6

Yes, and one press is all it takes.
09-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #7

It is setting number 8 in the special settings menu
09-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
Inactive Account

It is setting number 8 in the special settings menu
this will be one of first things I'll try when I get k20d

09-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #9

Don't you have to hold the button down till it takes all the pictures?
09-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #10

Original Poster
Of course, the K10D does auto-bracketing as well with a single press of the shutter release...but not when you're using the 2" self-timer. Instead, it will still bracket but you must press the shutter each time. For HDR work, I'd still rather have it auto-bracket with a single release but use the 2" timer/mirror-up mode each time. Is this somehow DIFFERENT with the K20D?

Terry
09-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
PentaxWebstore - Remotes, Releases I'm assuming they sell these elsewhere also.
I've looked at those before but that's the first time I've seen the K10D listed as being supported by any of them. And why not the K20D? Just an oversight?

Terry
09-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I've looked at those before but that's the first time I've seen the K10D listed as being supported by any of them. And why not the K20D? Just an oversight?

Terry
It is probably because the publication was released before the K20.

I have both IR and wired releases for my cameras and take them both depending on distance IR for medoium distances, mostly shots with me in them, cable for extreme distance and close in, no need for IR
09-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #13

....Is this somehow DIFFERENT with the K20D?
Terry
With the K20D you don't need to hold the shutter release down while shooting, just one short press will do. I've tried with 2" mirror up as well and it works the same.
09-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
on fleabay, you can get the wireless triggers from Yong Nuo. They run at 2.4GHz but if you use the wireless flash triggers, they'll conflict. Bigger than the Pentax IR remote, but you can be further away and it also handles pressing the shutter down longer and half-presses...
09-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #15

I made my own wired release and got one of the ultra cheap IR remotes that support multiple brands. Both options work well for me.