Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

What do you consider the best Pentax for sports and fast moving subjects?????

What model Pentax camera for shooting sports and fast moving subjects including birding. I am not interested in the K1 series way out of my price range. Feedback appreciated thanks Bill

Last edited by Gold Coast; 05-10-2018 at 01:28 PM.
05-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably the K-3 II. Everything else has inferior AF or framerate/buffers.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-10-2018, 01:13 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Bill...

Pentax continuous AF - as you probably already know - lags behind the major competition. No Pentax model is ideal for subjects moving erratically back and forth. As a result, you need to bring quite a degree of skill to the party, and not expect the camera to do all the work (remember, folks successfully shot sports with manual focus lenses on film cameras back in the day ). That could mean pre-focusing ahead of where you think the subject is heading, setting an aperture to give sufficient depth of field for minor AF or MF focusing errors, waiting for the subject to move sideways rather than toward or away from you, and a bunch of other techniques and tricks. Nonetheless, plenty of people get *great* results for both birding and sports photography with Pentax cameras - but skill is involved.

AF limitations aside, I guess you'd be looking for something with a fairly high continuous shooting rate and decent sized buffer. On that basis, the outgoing K-3II model (new or used) seems like your best bet - or a nice used K-3. I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts, but that's what my gut instinct tells me

EDIT: I see Adam beat me to it, but with the same advice
05-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I would recommend shooting in .JPG as the buffer will not fill as fast and you can get more images. Of course you lose a little by not shooting raw but at least yo might get the shot.

05-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The next dual card Apsc Pentax! Whenever it comes.
05-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sure wish they would hurry UP!!
05-10-2018, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
(remember, folks successfully shot sports with manual focus lenses on film cameras back in the day )
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Nonetheless, plenty of people get *great* results for both birding and sports photography with Pentax cameras - but skill is involved.
This last fall I was shooting next to a local bird photography enthusiast shooting a flock of white pelicans. She with a 5DIII and Canon "L" long zoom and me with the K-3 and Pentax-A 70-210/4. Things got interesting when the flock decided to suddenly leave the pond. Pelicans are fast on take-off, but we both got the same shots at similar quality. The main difference was that as the flock sped away, she was able to keep shooting away while I had to quit due to inexperience with that lens following fast stuff (first day out with a recent purchase). I don't know that I am particularly skilled, only that I learned photography with those techniques.

Take Flight | American White Pelicans taking flight from Car? | Flickr

Steve

05-10-2018, 04:45 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I've shot soccer and birds in flight with my K-5IIS and K-3II. I use the AF.C (AF continuous) mode, set Hold AF Status to off, 1st Frame Action in AF.C to Release Priority, Action in AF.C Continuous to FPS Priority, Center (Single) Point AF Area, and I shoot in Single Frame drive mode.

Shooting action is not difficult for me with Pentax AF. If the user is capable of tracking a subject and is using the proper shutter speed, ISO, and aperture (F stop), nice results are not difficult to obtain. The amount of light available when shooting action is always an important factor which will influence outcome. The K-3 II is the advanced aps-c performer, but the K-5IIS does an excellent job. You could also wait for the next aps-c model to get the more advanced overall performance. My K-1 II has excellent AF, but I know you mentioned you were not looking for a candidate of that series.
05-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I've shot soccer and birds in flight with my K-5IIS and K-3II. I use the AF.C (AF continuous) mode, set Hold AF Status to off, 1st Frame Action in AF.C to Release Priority, Action in AF.C Continuous to FPS Priority, Center (Single) Point AF Area, and I shoot in Single Frame drive mode.

Shooting action is not difficult for me with Pentax AF. If the user is capable of tracking a subject and is using the proper shutter speed, ISO, and aperture (F stop), nice results are not difficult to obtain. The amount of light available when shooting action is always an important factor which will influence outcome. The K-3 II is the advanced aps-c performer, but the K-5IIS does an excellent job. You could also wait for the next aps-c model to get the more advanced overall performance. My K-1 II has excellent AF, but I know you mentioned you were not looking for a candidate of that series.
This quite a tip C_Jones. I think I'll give this a try. I don't really have much success when it comes to AF.C. Thanks.
05-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
This quite a tip C_Jones. I think I'll give this a try. I don't really have much success when it comes to AF.C. Thanks.
You're welcome.

Update:
In case you are interested, I also sometimes use camera TAV mode when shooting in changing conditions, or camera Manual mode if the lighting environment is reasonably stable and I have ample time to use settings accordingly.

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-10-2018 at 05:36 PM.
05-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
You're welcome.

Update:
In case you are interested, I also sometimes use camera TAV mode when shooting in changing conditions, or camera Manual mode if the lighting environment is reasonably stable and I have ample time to use settings accordingly.
I'll give TAV a shot. Thanks again.
05-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K3II is great for slowish-to some somewhat fast sports, good for really fast sports. But it all depends on your shooting style & camera settings/lens setup.
05-10-2018, 07:19 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great feedback thanks all. Bill
05-10-2018, 09:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I'll give TAV a shot. Thanks again.
You're welcome.
05-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #15
Site Supporter