Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2018, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Their main criticism is the effect of the accelerator and added noise reduction with less clarity as applied in the K-1 II, and the less satisfactory hand-held pixel shift vs. traditional as in the original K-1. These may be valid criticisms, and if so make the original K-1 an even better bargain.

Their setting of "Auto" in the Custom Image menu instead of the standard "Bright" could very well explain the lower quality JPEGs in the new model. They should be aware of the need to adjust sharpening level upward in camera models with very conservative default sharpening, as well as adding "Fine Sharpening". They have noted these factors in past Pentax models.
When I first started shooting JPGs with my new K1 + Pentax 24-70 lens I was so disappointed that I thought it was due to the lens (increasing sharpness and contrast wasn't enough = still soft images and somehow cartoonish like).

Then I bought several Zeiss Distagon lenses with Pentax ZK mount and there was a net improvement in native sharpness, micro-contrast and better colour, although still something missing.

When I found the parameter "clarity" and set it to its maximum value +4 (and lowering the contrast to 0 or maximum +1 in "Bright" mode -preferably 0-), all the JPGs suddenly came to life. The improvement was a bomb, a great explosion. Outstanding and stunning indeed. And when I say STUNNING I really mean it and with capital letters.

So, to get excellent JPGs straight out of camera, just set the clarity to maximum (+4) and leave:

BRIGHT MODE:
All parameters by default (but contrast to 0 and fine sharpness to maximum +4).

LANDSCAPE MODE:
All parameters by default (but saturation to -1 or -2, contrast to 0 and fine sharpness to maximum +4).

I do actually prefer Bright mode.

Last edited by alvaro_garcia; 05-16-2018 at 11:54 AM.
05-16-2018, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Are you judging these as "art", or as "examples to show something"?
Well, those sample galleries seem to always be the snapshots of some office worker, not a real photographer.

I'd never hire whoever did them to shoot a job.

But there they are, reviewing cameras!

05-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Are you judging these as "art", or as "examples to show something"?
reh321 I am not judging them as "art". They don't even follow the basics to be judged as "art". A good example is the image of the millennial sitting down with the skateboard. The person should be centered in the frame with equal parts above his head and below the skateboard. Instead they center the head and cut off the skateboard which is the same as cutting off his feet. What DPR posted looks like what an amateur would do without really thinking.

Most all of the sample gallery images DPR put up have these simple basic errors regardless of brand. I am pretty sure DPR is a Photography site not an electronics testing site. DPR can not seem to get either right.
05-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DPReview now admits they will reshot K-1 & K-1 II with the FA 77mm 1.8 Limited lens:
Pentax K-1 II Review: A worthy upgrade?: Digital Photography Review

Attached Images

Last edited by angerdan; 05-16-2018 at 01:43 PM.
05-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Well, when it comes down to it, to err is human. To finally get an optically fantastic copy of a lens you've lusted after for years, that's divine.
05-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alvaro_garcia Quote
When I first started shooting JPGs with my new K1 + Pentax 24-70 lens I was so disappointed that I thought it was due to the lens (increasing sharpness and contrast wasn't enough = still soft images and somehow cartoonish like).

Then I bought several Zeiss Distagon lenses with Pentax ZK mount and there was a net improvement in native sharpness, micro-contrast and better colour, although still something missing.

When I found the parameter "clarity" and set it to its maximum value +4 (and lowering the contrast to 0 or maximum +1 in "Bright" mode -preferably 0-), all the JPGs suddenly came to life. The improvement was a bomb, a great explosion. Outstanding and stunning indeed. And when I say STUNNING I really mean it and with capital letters.

So, to get excellent JPGs straight out of camera, just set the clarity to maximum (+4) and leave:

BRIGHT MODE:
All parameters by default (but contrast to 0 and fine sharpness to maximum +4).

LANDSCAPE MODE:
All parameters by default (but saturation to -1 or -2, contrast to 0 and fine sharpness to maximum +4).

I do actually prefer Bright mode.
Very interesting! It seems DPR these days don't make the more thorough evaluations they once did. When they reviewed the K10D years ago, they gave it high marks, but noted sharpening for JPEGs was too conservative, and furthermore, that the control for regulating in-camera processing for sharpening was inadequate, not providing much increase even when put at the maximum setting. At least with that report the reader knew what is going on and why.

If I should decide to get a K-1 I will certainly try your advice! If this produces results as you describe, and without jaggies and other artifacts, the K-1 would then be both a great RAW shooter and a great JPEG shooter, which is the case with the KP.
05-17-2018, 03:23 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Are you talking about the K10D for which they invented a new rating? "Highly Recommended (just)"?

True, their reviews were more detailed back then. I wouldn't say more comprehensive, as the new ones added several more tests.

05-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Well, now they don't even try any of the camera's adjustments for sharpening, etc.- just everything by default settings. Although in their test of the KP, they at least mentioned the benefits for implementing "Fine Sharpening" and +1 level in the Custom Image menu, which they said is somewhat hard to find. This was for the "Natural" setting, which was used for their testing. The +1 level is already set that way by default in the normal "Bright" mode, so adding "fine Sharpening is all that is needed in this mode.

But even here they did not redo the comparison shots with those recommendations in place!

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-18-2018 at 03:13 PM.
05-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #24
Pentaxian

They didn't even shoot K-1 II Pixel Shift images in RAW.
05-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Somebody simply has to tag that friendly person over there and post, “Hey - RTFM !”
05-19-2018, 03:19 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think jpeg comparisons are useless in reviews. There are just too many settings to mess around with and lets say they turn up the sharpness a bunch and see artifacts or more noise, then folks cry foul that they had the sharpness up. I think it is sufficient to say that there are a lot of different settings available and folks can play around with them to get what they want.

That said, I think Pentax's standard for awhile had been the Bright setting, which to my eye gave a bit over saturated look, but probably was liked by more folks than the Natural setting (which I prefer).