Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dpreview admitted they screwed up the K1ii review...

They are redoing their disastrous K1ii review, and studio scene.

We will be re-shooting the scene.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Good.

Cheers,
Cameron

05-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Do we give them a click to watch them eat crow? I don't think so.
05-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If people didn't know about the K-1 before then they sure do now. All publicity is good publicity. The Ricoh/Pentax have become (in)famous!
05-15-2018, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I frankly doubt that this is going to change anything. They still like Sony's recent products a lot better and I don't see why that would change with a reshoot of the DP Review comparison widget.

05-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I frankly doubt that this is going to change anything. They still like Sony's recent products a lot better and I don't see why that would change with a reshoot of the DP Review comparison widget.
Agreed. I don’t think they’ll change the Conclusion. They have a standard for the features and spec.s that they believe make a camera good and K-1ll lacks many of them. We don’t agree with that standard, which is why we buy Pentax, but that alone doesn’t make their Score incorrect.

I take issue with their vitriolic tone. Richard Butler might clean up some of the more egregious language. Or not.
05-15-2018, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Their main criticism is the effect of the accelerator and added noise reduction with less clarity as applied in the K-1 II, and the less satisfactory hand-held pixel shift vs. traditional as in the original K-1. These may be valid criticisms, and if so make the original K-1 an even better bargain.

Their setting of "Auto" in the Custom Image menu instead of the standard "Bright" could very well explain the lower quality JPEGs in the new model. They should be aware of the need to adjust sharpening level upward in camera models with very conservative default sharpening, as well as adding "Fine Sharpening". They have noted these factors in past Pentax models.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-15-2018 at 12:57 PM.
05-15-2018, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

On the whole I agree. But at least the image scene comparison should be more honest and comparable.

Yet I don't blame them for liking Sony recently... Sony is spending money on growth and on notable and consistent product iterations. DPR is a gear (tech) review site so Sony is right up their alley. Pentax lives in a different world governed by different principles. If anyone expected DPR fanfare for reheated tech in another DSLR body they were only kidding themself.

05-16-2018, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Their main criticism is the effect of the accelerator and added noise reduction with less clarity as applied in the K-1 II, and the less satisfactory hand-held pixel shift vs. traditional as in the original K-1. These may be valid criticisms, and if so make the original K-1 an even better bargain.

Their setting of "Auto" in the Custom Image menu instead of the standard "Bright" could very well explain the lower quality JPEGs in the new model. They should be aware of the need to adjust sharpening level upward in camera models with very conservative default sharpening, as well as adding "Fine Sharpening". They have noted these factors in past Pentax models.

The pixelshift conclusion is wrong. The dynamic pixel shift is an extra, you can still use the tradidional pixel shift
05-16-2018, 01:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

DPR should hire based on photography experience, not based on number of PHD, academics.
05-16-2018, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

the tainted integrity issue

All what their are doing now is peanuts and not addressing their credibility / integrity / professionalism issue at all.

They swapped out a key data file silently days after it was presented as evidence for their conclusions and then one of the responsible persons denied it even happened against all evidence.

The kid has been caught in the act on security cam with the hand in the pot of marmelade and when questioned said "I did't touch the marmelade."

The misbehaviour is not solved by the kid now agreeing to wash his hands. Nor does this restore integrity or credibility at all.
05-16-2018, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I believe there are some good people at DPR. Simon Joinson apologized, two years ago, for the WaterFAILS article.
But others are ruining their efforts.
05-16-2018, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
The pixelshift conclusion is wrong. The dynamic pixel shift is an extra, you can still use the tradidional pixel shift
Correct.

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
All what their are doing now is peanuts and not addressing their credibility / integrity / professionalism issue at all.

They swapped out a key data file silently days after it was presented as evidence for their conclusions and then one of the responsible persons denied it even happened against all evidence.

The kid has been caught in the act on security cam with the hand in the pot of marmelade and when questioned said "I did't touch the marmelade."

The misbehaviour is not solved by the kid now agreeing to wash his hands. Nor does this restore integrity or credibility at all.
Correct. And a very relevant analogy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I believe there are some good people at DPR. Simon Joinson apologized, two years ago, for the WaterFAILS article.
If there are good people there, they should speak up, set things right, or leave.

Let's be honest. DPreview is probably the best-known source of photography information on the web. They have a unique position. And they take advantage of that position to push the brands they like (or get paid to like), criticize unfairly brands they don't like, ignore what could cast a shadow on the brands they like (remember the K-3 review fiasco?).

The least we could expect is some sort of objectivity, rigorous testing, and giving credit where credit is due. As it is, they sound like Apple fanboys claiming "you totally invented that!"

As a reviewer (and optical designer regularly designing and performing equipment tests) I feel insulted that they get so much credit for doing such a crappy job.
05-16-2018, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

The DPR sample galleries show they know little about photography. The images they posted for the K-1MKII wouldn't make it past a critique in a basic Photography 101 class. This is true for all the sample image galleries they post regardless of brand.
05-16-2018, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
In no group if people everyone is a baddie and certainly dpr also has good folks and what you mentioned is a good move.

But that doesnt mean that everyone is a goodie either.

It is not that difficult for any reader to analyze who was involved in which bad actions and how he reacted to people highlighting his failures.

The is a loud message between the lines as well:
It wasn't the kid with the finders in the pot of marmelade who now wrote "I messed up, I am going to wash my hands".
The mother had to wade in and say "We messed up. Some now will have to wash his fingers"

In medieval Japan the mother now would commit harakiri.
05-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
The DPR sample galleries show they know little about photography. The images they posted for the K-1MKII wouldn't make it past a critique in a basic Photography 101 class. This is true for all the sample image galleries they post regardless of brand.
Are you judging these as "art", or as "examples to show something"?