Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
05-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #31

404 problem gone; 1.0.2 working great on Win 10 tablet

Hi Andrea,

1) After you fixed backend, 404 is gone; 1.0.2 is now working normal.

2) On my Win 10 tablet, it is working GREAT!
- It appears it auto-sensed the screen size available, and displays LV on the full area available. It also appears to be displayed in HD or at least clear enough. That's VERY useful!
<< also works to hide the left column, although it just shows grey bars on left and right, as size is limited by the top icon row.
It'd be nice to have another ^^ option to shift those as a column on the left or something like that so that image can be further enlarged to use up the precious tablet screen.

On tablet, there is no mouse, so no hovering, and I don't know how to find help. I don't know how to zoom in on the image - that'd be a great feature to use.
The standard two-finger zoom does NOT work.

On tablet, it seems clicking would enable focus. But there is no confirmation (like on viewfinder white square frames would appear to show where the focus was applied).

3) On my Win 7 laptop, it works just like the beta, meaning:
a) LV shows up as a tiny image about the size of 3 icons horizontally and 1.5 icons vertically, leaving most of the screen white and unused
b) picture tab did NOT work: no folder or thumbnails on the left, and a grey area on the right with no image.
However, my tablet is my primary use scenario...

4) On Win 10 tablet, auto-update check took a couple of seconds, and it OK'ed with internet access available.
On Win 7 laptop, auto-update check took ~3 seconds before it OK'ed with internet access and continued.
Without internet, I stopped counting after 30 seconds, it looks like it timed-out after 1 minute.
A little annoying. I suggest:
a) a "skip checking this time" button on the pop-up window
b) don't check with every use, but say every month or after 10 use or essentially only once in a while (just like many apps which auto-check for update)
c) check if internet is on - if not - don't time out after waiting so long - maybe Windows have a "internet connected" status check you can use?
d) option to disable it when tethered shoot is urgent
e) check for auto-update at the end of the shoot? The photographer is probably more relaxed and not uptight by that time

Hope these feedback are useful for a great product!

Gilbert

05-20-2018, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Obviously there is also a setting that leaves at the user the choice to check for updates at app start...
Probably the easiest way to do this would be to leave updates as an entirely manual procedure. No need for fancy online update notification technology.

People can check here in the forum to see if any updates are available. It's a small audience.
05-21-2018, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gilbie2000 Quote
Hi Andrea,

1) After you fixed backend, 404 is gone; 1.0.2 is now working normal.

2) On my Win 10 tablet, it is working GREAT!
- It appears it auto-sensed the screen size available, and displays LV on the full area available. It also appears to be displayed in HD or at least clear enough. That's VERY useful!
<< also works to hide the left column, although it just shows grey bars on left and right, as size is limited by the top icon row.
It'd be nice to have another ^^ option to shift those as a column on the left or something like that so that image can be further enlarged to use up the precious tablet screen.

On tablet, there is no mouse, so no hovering, and I don't know how to find help. I don't know how to zoom in on the image - that'd be a great feature to use.
The standard two-finger zoom does NOT work.

On tablet, it seems clicking would enable focus. But there is no confirmation (like on viewfinder white square frames would appear to show where the focus was applied).

3) On my Win 7 laptop, it works just like the beta, meaning:
a) LV shows up as a tiny image about the size of 3 icons horizontally and 1.5 icons vertically, leaving most of the screen white and unused
b) picture tab did NOT work: no folder or thumbnails on the left, and a grey area on the right with no image.
However, my tablet is my primary use scenario...

4) On Win 10 tablet, auto-update check took a couple of seconds, and it OK'ed with internet access available.
On Win 7 laptop, auto-update check took ~3 seconds before it OK'ed with internet access and continued.
Without internet, I stopped counting after 30 seconds, it looks like it timed-out after 1 minute.
A little annoying. I suggest:
a) a "skip checking this time" button on the pop-up window
b) don't check with every use, but say every month or after 10 use or essentially only once in a while (just like many apps which auto-check for update)
c) check if internet is on - if not - don't time out after waiting so long - maybe Windows have a "internet connected" status check you can use?
d) option to disable it when tethered shoot is urgent
e) check for auto-update at the end of the shoot? The photographer is probably more relaxed and not uptight by that time

Hope these feedback are useful for a great product!

Gilbert
Ouch, you are right! Tablets haven't tooltip! I will add an icon to explain the near commands section.
In the meanwhile, to focus during LIVE VIEW you can click/touch on the screen (keep in mind not all image areas are supported), focus confirmation is the hexagon (green means focus aquired). At the bottom of the AV dropdown there is the LIVE VIEW ZOOM dropdown, wheen zoomed if you click / touch, focus is disabled but you can pan the image in the direction of your click / touch.

Windows 7 is a bit old now, I will try to understand if it is fixable but not now.

Update process is in my toughts, I'm at work on this, and it will be more efficient.

Many thanks for your feedbacks!
05-23-2018, 03:32 AM - 3 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi,

v 1.0.3.0 is online. Release notes:
1- I rolled back the autoupdate feature... without a code sign certificate (the price starts from 300 EURO) was a mess. Now the app checks, optionally, at the startup time and notifies to the user the new release.
2- In Preferences there are two new options: to disable the startup check about the new releases and another to disable the message that asks to reload pictures when you switch back to Pictures tab from Camera tab
3- Some Tablet mode improvements, I pray "tablet users" to try if now the settings selection from dropdownlists is a bit better
4- Some bugfixes and performance improvements

I received many compliments and feedbacks about the app... WOW!

Last edited by Andrea K; 05-24-2018 at 01:18 AM.
05-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What message you have from the installer?

The procedure to install is:
- Download the zip file and unzip it to a new directory.
- From this directory launch the setup.exe file
- There may be a warning, about the software Editor, but go ahead

After this you have to connect the camer with the computer through the wifi lan, you can check the procedure (where is the password, how you can activate the wireless hot spot, etc..) on the camera manual. On the k-1 manual the title of the section is "Using the Camera with a Communication Device"
Thank you.
05-23-2018, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

v 1.0.3.0 is online.
Excellent work. Those changes are great. No need for an Internet link anymore just to start the application.

A small 'house-keeping' suggestion - as you put them on site, pls rename the latest downloadable zips to include the file version - eg 'wificommanderpentax-v103.zip' instead of just 'wificommanderpentax.zip'. Otherwise it's hard to be sure which version is officially being offered for download, which version may be floating around in other places, etc.
05-24-2018, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Excellent work. Those changes are great. No need for an Internet link anymore just to start the application.

A small 'house-keeping' suggestion - as you put them on site, pls rename the latest downloadable zips to include the file version - eg 'wificommanderpentax-v103.zip' instead of just 'wificommanderpentax.zip'. Otherwise it's hard to be sure which version is officially being offered for download, which version may be floating around in other places, etc.
Hi,

thank you!

I thought about to rename the file to download.... but I have to change every time all the links ... next time...

05-24-2018, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fantastic that someone is finally doing what Ricoh should have done parallel to developing WiFi capable cameras. I have yet to implement your work, but have downloaded and shot a donation your way. Your work is to be commended!

Please don't look down on us old Window 7 users - our head may be on the chopping block but that's what I currently have on all my new machines and I have Windows 10 phobia so be kind and keep us in mind.

ADDENDA: REALLY Cool!! - I installed your app and it works like a charm. Had to look up my K-1 password (on camera under tool#2 >> WiFi >> Communications Info, and once I put that in my computer WiFi link, it hooked right up. This will keep me up all night playing with it.

Now I can get lots of squirrel photos right up close and personal

Last edited by Bob 256; 05-24-2018 at 02:32 PM.
05-24-2018, 11:22 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Fantastic that someone is finally doing what Ricoh should have done parallel to developing WiFi capable cameras. I have yet to implement your work, but have downloaded and shot a donation your way. Your work is to be commended!

Please don't look down on us old Window 7 users - our head may be on the chopping block but that's what I currently have on all my new machines and I have Windows 10 phobia so be kind and keep us in mind.

ADDENDA: REALLY Cool!! - I installed your app and it works like a charm. Had to look up my K-1 password (on camera under tool#2 >> WiFi >> Communications Info, and once I put that in my computer WiFi link, it hooked right up. This will keep me up all night playing with it.

Now I can get lots of squirrel photos right up close and personal
Thank you for your support!!! Windows 7 compatibility is in my list. A question for you: with what operating system you use the app? By your comment seems that in your pc (Windows 7??) all is working fine...

Ciao!
05-25-2018, 07:43 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for your support!!! Windows 7 compatibility is in my list. A question for you: with what operating system you use the app? By your comment seems that in your pc (Windows 7??) all is working fine...

Ciao!
Yes, Andrea. I'm running Windows 7 Pro on a Lenovo laptop E545 and it seems to be working fine. I was a bit antsy about the install (prior to doing it), but that went great and the only snag was a warning that my link wasn't functional once the app installed (I didn't have my K-1 or internet radio turned on), but once I got that up and rebooted your app, it was perfect.

I really like the ability to download files and the point and focus feature in liveview.

It's probably listed someplace, but what is the difference between the large and half size downloads? I did a test and the DNG file seemed to be a full sized one (which is what I usually want). Is the smaller sized file downsized in camera before it's sent or by the app after it has been received?

Thanks again for this great app!

Last edited by Bob 256; 05-25-2018 at 07:53 AM.
05-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #41

Now zoom OK, Landscape to Portrait shift?

Hi Andrea,

Here is a response to your quick reply a little while ago. I did a little more testing, 1.0.2, ...
1) With your instructions, I can now find the zoom and associated move. It works great.
However, the move direction is counter-intuitive on a tablet: when I swipe left, the image moves right instead.
(On PC's, we have the Mac and Win approach which are exactly opposite. But on tablets, most people want the fingers to move the image same direction.
That's at least the way other Windows apps work...)

2) I noticed, on further testing, that when the tablet moves from landscape to portrait direction, the program in tablet adjust correspondingly - that is good and default in tablet.
However, when the camera moves from landscape to portrait, there is NO corresponding change in the image displayed.
I think that is the behavior programmed by Pentax. However, is it possible to receive the portrait direction sensor from the camera?
If so, can we auto-shift? If not, can we have a manual shift from landscape to portrait?
Looking at the image the proper way is useful in composition, not to mention that maybe we can also optimize the image display size as well. Is that do-able?

Thanks,
Gilbert
05-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Someone in here asked if this will work on a K3 with a FLU card, I would be really interested as well, however it looks like we are STILL waiting on an answer...
05-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Someone in here asked if this will work on a K3 with a FLU card, I would be really interested as well, however it looks like we are STILL waiting on an answer...
This app works with Pentax DSLRs with WiFi built into the camera. K3-II and earlier will not work.
It is on the list to look into but the list is getting longer and pre built-ins get fewer.

RONC
05-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
I can't find any question about Flucard for WiFi Commander in this thread.

But the support of the Flucard and other options for tethering is visible here:
Software support for Pentax needed! - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by angerdan; 05-26-2018 at 01:39 PM.
05-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I've some ideas/questions:
  • How about longer exposure times in Bulb mode? Currently just 30s are available in each program mode. All other apps are limited to this too
  • How about the display of battery status in percent like in the app "Photo Sync" ?
  • I'd wish to have the ability to change skins regarding the device i'm using -
    - tablet skin with written names under symbold (like in MS IE5) as well as larger option areas/text size for easier touch operation
    - current not-touchscreen optimized (mouse) skin without icon labels
  • New icons which are easier to understand (only green button is known from Kamera)
  • overlay when viewing photos on the SD which shows the active focus point(s) used? Would be an great feature

Last edited by angerdan; 05-27-2018 at 11:00 AM.