Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

Explain k10 AF Screw Drive, SDM Terms ?

Anybody can Explain k10 : AF Screw Drive, SDM Terms , AF Motor Drive etc ? I see lots of discussions but nothing makes clear on a simple ABC type level what all these are. The confusion seems to come sometimes from not making clear what is in the body of the camera and what is in the lens.
What exactly is firmware, and how can you tell what version is in your camera ? I have the the Pentax 18 -55 kit lens that came with the camera, and an FA35-f2 AL Pentax lens.
What's happened is : My camera has stopped auto focusing. You here the motor make a wee motor sound . On the FA35, in auto focus , if I've manually turned the focusing ring so that it has lengthened ( for closer up ? ) then, if I go back to auto - focus, it will auto retract the lens. But it can't seem to turn the lens the other way. Facing the camera, it seems able to turn it counter clockwise - not the other way. Haven't tested the accuracy of the focus though. With the 18 - 55 kit lens, it can't move the lens either way.
Would love if this was a simple - wipe the contacts- fix so I wouldn't be without the camera for a week. Doubt it.
I can see the little slotted screw, and it retracts when I push in the lens remove button, and extends when I release the button .
All seems to work fine if I focus manually.
Thanks for any help,

Marty