Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #1

Would love to upgrade to the K1 but...

Currently have the K3 and shoot with a Tamron 70-200 f2.8. Mainly shoot night time HS football and indoor basketball (both notorious for horrible lighting I know) for my kids. From all the reviews the K1 is not the camera for sports. But the K3 has to much noise for my liking in both venues and pics are not the quality I would like. First off I realize FPS from 8 to 4.4 and Im ok with that. Im looking for better quality pics. I'm not impressed with my K3 and I don't want to change brands at this point. So Anyone who has changed from the K3 to the K1 and have shot football or indoor hoops I would appreciate any feedback before I jump into the K1. Thanks ahead of time.

05-18-2018, 11:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tracermat Quote
Currently have the K3 and shoot with a Tamron 70-200 f2.8. Mainly shoot night time HS football and indoor basketball (both notorious for horrible lighting I know) for my kids. From all the reviews the K1 is not the camera for sports. But the K3 has to much noise for my liking in both venues and pics are not the quality I would like. First off I realize FPS from 8 to 4.4 and Im ok with that. Im looking for better quality pics. I'm not impressed with my K3 and I don't want to change brands at this point. So Anyone who has changed from the K3 to the K1 and have shot football or indoor hoops I would appreciate any feedback before I jump into the K1. Thanks ahead of time.
Have you thought about the KP? It has much better noise performance than the K-3, and you'll keep the crop FoV, which might be useful for sports.

But regardless, the image quality from the K-1 would be better if you can deal with the slower FPS (and don't crop).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2018, 11:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As Adam said, I'd look carefully at the KP (or K-70).

I prefer the ergonomics of the K-1 (and just about everything else for that matter) despite the slower frame rate, but you will need to get closer to the action (or crop) to get the same framing with your 70-200.
05-19-2018, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

In practical terms regarding your Tamron 70-200mm, which is a very good choice for the situation you describe, the image size you get as a telephoto effect from the x1.53 crop factor of APS-C works very well for what you are doing, as Adam and Sandy indicate. I highly recommend the KP as they have also. It is way above the K-3 in low noise performance at higher ISO, very nearly that of the K-1, and it features the latest in AF performance and SR as well. For that large lens, you might wind up with the optional battery grip, which is not an option with the K-70.

Highest quality JPEGs would be fine for your needs here, and the KP delivers exceptionally fine image quality right from the camera. Just be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-19-2018 at 12:27 AM.
05-19-2018, 01:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The KP is well above K-3 in noise performance because of in camera post processing. You can get more or less the same with K-3 and in computer post processing.

I believe the autofocus performance is the main problem here, not noise. The Tamron is quite slow to focus. A much faster alternative would be the Pentax DA 55-300 PLM, but that has 1-2 stops smaller aperture, so its not perfect for low lighting sports. I think the Sigma 70-200 HSM is a good compromise. f/2,8, and fast AF, although not as fast as the PLM. The Pentax D-FA 70-200 is even better but its very expensive.

My advice is selling the Tamron and buy a Sigma. Then push the ISO a bit more and post process the noise better.
05-19-2018, 02:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Every K-1 deserves a STAR,...70-200mm...they compliment each other.
05-19-2018, 07:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have owned and used both. K1 hands down. The K3 as you pointed out has too many pixels for my liking. The K5's 16mp would be better, but retain the K3's features and functions.

K1 though has far superior ISO, which allows you to go up a whole lot more and get faster shutter speeds, which for many things is more important than FPS depending on what you are trying to do.

If you want to catch the shot of Odell Beckam doing a one handed backwards grab flying through the end zone, fast frame rates and AF and all that are obviously going to help. For most other things, not so much. The biggest hurdle IMO will be getting access to the field instead of trying to shoot from the stands. Camera wise though, the K1 blows away all other competition in the Pentax lineup as far as low light shooting goes.

05-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
As Adam said, I'd look carefully at the KP (or K-70).

I prefer the ergonomics of the K-1 (and just about everything else for that matter) despite the slower frame rate, but you will need to get closer to the action (or crop) to get the same framing with your 70-200.
Yesterday I got a KP. After the first assessements and first empty battery I do think similar like you. IQ seems to be very good and K-1 ergonomics are a lot better. But I don‘t like the K-1 hanging around my neck - too heavy. It’s always in my hands, on a tripod or I use a black rapid sport strap. When hiking or beeing on the street that’s not always convenient - KP is my solution.

I think in some attributes the KP is a step down from K-3 II in some a step up. So I guess Pentax will anounce a real K-3 II successor delivering more sports attributes and better high ISO performance. Photokina in Cologne in September could be the right place to get a lot of audience?! - We‘ll see.

@Tracermat, can you wait a while?
05-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Even with a K-1 or K-P, you’ll still be using high ISOs, and still have to deal with noise. Consider investing in Noise Reduction software. I use Topaz Denoise with my K-3, and find it works quite well. There are lots of choices, though. Even if you find it’s not enough, and you upgrade cameras anyway, it will still be useful.
05-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all for responding so quickly, what a great forum! Everyone is so helpful and that is AWESOME especially for someone like me who wants Sports Illustrated quality pics on a semi-beer budget. Knowing just enough to be dangerous.

Adam - I feel like you, that what I lack on the FPS I can more than make up with better overall quality which is what I want anyway.

Sandy - I have free access all over the field. Sidelines, end zones and on the 50 yard line when our players are coming onto the field for the coin toss. So getting closer is not an issue. (I should have clarified, sorry)

Mikesbikes/Simen1 - I must have been brain dead last night when I was talking about my lens. I HAVE a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 NOT a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 (sorry for the confusion)

Surfar - I'm not sure what you mean by "Every K-1 deserves a STAR....70-200". I'm guessing a high quality/high dollar 70-200 than my Sigma? but bucks are limited, that's why I was wanting to upgrade camera body and not lens. But maybe I need to do both.

Alamo5000 - That's the way I'm thinking is that the K1 has the superior ISO so in low light (our home field lighting at night is extremely bad) I can jack the ISO higher and still get quality.

Acoufap - Your question on can I wait awhile ….. I really don't want to wait any longer than June 1st (so, a couple of weeks). June 1st starts football camps virtually every weekend for us for the next 2 months and I would like to have it by then when we go to a ton of different college campuses.

Cthulhugan - I have used Topaz Denoise in the past and it does a real good job and I will look into it again upon any purchase.

I give these pics away to players, players families and coaches on our football/basketball teams. I would love to give them something of quality and my lean from what all have responded is to go with the K-1 and sacrifice FPS but gain a whole lot more in quality. Just curious if anyone has ever shot HS basketball with the K-1? If so would love your feedback and anymore tips would be appreciated for hoops or night time football.
Thank you all again!
05-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I've shot sports with my K-5IIS, K-3II, and K-1 II, also wildlife. If I have reasonable light, I get reasonable image quality. I have used the Pentax 70-200 (K-3II and K-1 II) and my Sigma 150-500 DG OS (K-5IIS, K-3II, and K-1 II) with success.
05-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
I was using a K-3 and now I am using a K-1 to shoot middle school sports or sometimes kids running around a court.

Since I don't use the spray and pray method I don't miss the higher frame rate. While I may miss a shot, I spend much less time going through the pictures I do take so advantage K-1. I do occasionally miss the sound of the faster shutter.

For indoor sports I used the K-3 / DA* 50-135 combo which is considerably lighter than the K-1 / DFA* 70-200, but a non-issue to me.

For outdoor sports I used the K-3 / Sigma 100-300 f4 usually without a 1.4 TC and now I use the K-1 / 100-300 mostly with the TC. My outdoor sports are all during the day.

I find the K-1 auto focus more confident, but only a little better at tracking.

The K-1 high ISO shots are much cleaner, but I found the K-3 shots to be good enough for most uses and rarely made a good picture unusable. I quickly looked through some old shots to find comparable shots. These are ISO 6400 shot in the same gym under similar lighting conditions. I do have a few pictures using even higher ISO, but under different lighting situations making comparisons difficult. I do use higher ISO more frequently on the K-1 than I did with the K-3.

In summary I think I do get more "quality" shots with the K-1, but I am not sure I would call it "a whole lot" more quality.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

For sports like this I would really think long and hard about the KP. The noise is a couple stops better than my K3 II, as I own both I have exactingly compared. I think a KP might be a good compromise, hook in the battery grip and shoot. For this kind of work I can’t help but suggesting looking into the supremely capable Pentax DFA * 70-200... On the KP it is a great combination with the battery grip of course.

Best of luck and happy shooting.
05-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How-about renting both (with the battery grips) to try them out?
Rent Lenses, Cameras, and Drones ? Camera Lens Rentals

edit: never mind, they do not list KP...
05-20-2018, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

I have shot for HS and college wrestling teams, giving results to the coaches and athletes and their families. They loved them! I recently ran into a former heavyweight champion wrestler from over 10 years ago, who recognized me. He said he made a photo journal from his wrestling using the photos I provided which now is among his prized possessions, and said I made a difference in his life! I was told by coaches that my shots, the angles taken, etc were very revealing and helpful in working on improving technique!

Today, one of those from that old team, a middleweight who is the young friend that introduced me into the sport causing me to turn my photographic interest onto it, resulting in my becoming team photographer, is now a HS wrestling coach himself in another town. Sometimes I visit and shoot for his team, with similar appreciation.

Good luck enjoying your efforts, and happy shooting!