Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2018, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Developing With Pentax SDKs - Who's working on stuff?

Hey y'all,

I had a hard time figuring out where to post this, so feel free to help me find a better section (I don't know if a mod can move this or I can post again elsewhere). I figured it fit pretty well here, since it's all about Pentax DSLR's.

I am curious with the new release of Pentax's SDKs who here has been working on stuff, and what they've been working on. I've been following the thread in the announcements, and it seemed like a couple of people had some ideas, but I wanted a place where we could bounce those ideas back and forth, along with some help for one another in development.

So far I have been playing with the wireless Android SDK and some basic features. I'm not really sure if there's anything specific I want to try, I was mostly just curious. Seems like most of the features available there's already an app for, but I'm sure it'll grow from here.

If anyone needs help getting started with Android, I can be of some assistance. I even made a quick video on my dev channel about it because it took me three hours to figure the darn thing out (I can be slow sometimes )

What are some of your ideas? Need any help? Who's already started?

Resources

Download the SDK
https://console.api.ricoh/sdks/camera

Pentax's getting started and links to documentation
https://api.ricoh/docs/camera-wireless-sdk-android/

Last edited by Snapppy; 05-19-2018 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Added resource links
05-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not really interested in Android but I would like to say welcome and thanks for putting in the effort to figure out how to use the SDK.
Thanks again, Geezer
05-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #3

I don't have any of the supported cameras so while I am tempted to work on something, I have no way of testing.

Maybe the PK_Tether people will wake up and pickup development again. PK_Tether is already using .NET Framework (v3.5) and does everything I need in a tethering program. So why reinvent the wheel?
05-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I am interested in building a tool that would automate camera testing (for reviews). While this wouldn't be of use to everyone, it could prove to be a big time-saver when my writers and I go to perform tests, and could also be useful to others who test Pentax cameras.

The first step, IMO, would be to adapt the Java SDK to work in a desktop environment (because who likes wires?). I would expect this to be easy, if not trivial. Then we could build a basic UI for a number of types of tests.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The sdk only came out a few days ago! I plan to write something for it, but nothing yet. It would be super cool to use the wireless API from a desktop. I plan on doing some teathered work.
05-21-2018, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
jup

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

The first step, IMO, would be to adapt the Java SDK to work in a desktop environment (because who likes wires?). I would expect this to be easy, if not trivial. Then we could build a basic UI for a number of types of tests.
The SDK itself is not open source, so modifying it would not be easy.

That said, it seems that type of connection (USB/Wifi) is just a parameter on both C++ SDK and java SDK. Maybe it can be switched. I am very curios as to what is actually possible here.

Or maybe Pentax themselves will release official support for Wireless desktop connection if there's enough interest.
05-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I am not really interested in Android but I would like to say welcome and thanks for putting in the effort to figure out how to use the SDK.
Thanks again, Geezer
Thanks, it's kind of fun!

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I don't have any of the supported cameras so while I am tempted to work on something, I have no way of testing.

Maybe the PK_Tether people will wake up and pickup development again. PK_Tether is already using .NET Framework (v3.5) and does everything I need in a tethering program. So why reinvent the wheel?
Yeah, I was lucky in that I bought a used K-1 just a few weeks ago, otherwise I wouldn't be able to fiddle around with it either. I haven't checked out PK_tether, is it still around? I agree with not reinventing the wheel if there's already a solution.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I am interested in building a tool that would automate camera testing (for reviews). While this wouldn't be of use to everyone, it could prove to be a big time-saver when my writers and I go to perform tests, and could also be useful to others who test Pentax cameras.

That's a really creative idea! I like it. I haven't done a ton of digging yet, but I did de-compile the SDK to check a few things out with how it's detecting Wi-Fi connections. I'm not experienced with a Java application accessing Wi-Fi information, so I don't immediately know how to do this, but I bet a little bit of research would show some options. If I have some time during this week I'll look into it.

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
The sdk only came out a few days ago! I plan to write something for it, but nothing yet. It would be super cool to use the wireless API from a desktop. I plan on doing some teathered work.
Seems like you're not the only one interested in desktop tethering! Let us know if you tap into a solution first. Otherwise, I'll share whatever I find out. I don't have any commercial interest, so I'm just here to learn and help.

05-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
That's a really creative idea! I like it. I haven't done a ton of digging yet, but I did de-compile the SDK to check a few things out with how it's detecting Wi-Fi connections. I'm not experienced with a Java application accessing Wi-Fi information, so I don't immediately know how to do this, but I bet a little bit of research would show some options. If I have some time during this week I'll look into it.
Yup, this approach should prove fruitful. It might even work out of the box on a PC, with the proper dependencies and perhaps some environment tweaks.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Any updates here?
03-10-2020, 05:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Any updates here?
Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I haven't touched the SDK in over a year. I had one project I developed to turn the camera into a trap camera, going off when something passed by, but that's been it. It looks like there hasn't been any SDK updates from Ricoh since May 2018 either. Still a lot of fun to connect and control the camera, just haven't found a use for myself besides what I've built.

Hope that helps.