Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k200d dp review ... tips for jpeg shooting

yes, i'm a bit of a lazy shooter.... still somewhat addicted to p+s shooting...
trying to get in the swing with my k200d....
i've not ventured into the raw/jpeg shooting... i usually opt for auto mode, or p mode with a few defaults that i'm relatively content with...
on dp review, they kvetch (complain) that the factory default settings for
jpeg shooting yields muddy and somewhat noisy shots...
they suggest opting out from factory preset.....
..... please suggest some minor tweaking to jpeg shooting for those who've had experience with this ..................... and have been happy with the results...
and yes.... i will try more creative shooting.... i've got the magic lantern book, it'd be nice if i really took the time to read it thoroughly....
i can see that my wandering mind is not an asset!!
as always, thank and regards to my pentax peers.........

09-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Given that these things are almost entirely subjective, the only real answer is to take some test shots *yourself* and see. Of course, you could always send your test shots to the guy who did the dpreview review if you value his opinion over your own. But FWIW, obviously, the foks at Pentax liked the settigns *they* chose. Who's to say they are wrong and dpreview right?

But FWIW, if you agree with the dpreview opinion, it seems that reducing the sharpening and contrast settings would be the logical place to start.
09-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

They bagged the K10's jpegs for not being sharp enough. Now they bag the K200 for being too sharp.

As far as I can see, half the problem is that almost all the cameras produced these days are excellent! So what is a reviewer going to write in the cons section of their review?