Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2018, 03:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Testing a new camera

I have the first opportunity to play with my K-70 in an extended and relaxed way next week (outdoor setting with flowers and birds and bugs and wide "vistas"). I believe I have a basic understanding of the "features" and it is time to understand the limits and what falls between. Is there a "published" program/tutorial/list/recipe to guide an inexperienced person in some disciplined/orderly way of testing the machine? I think I could blunder along but why reinvent the wheel? Will be using an 18-55 kit and 55-300 plm.

05-26-2018, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Is there a "published" program/tutorial/list/recipe to guide an inexperienced person in some disciplined/orderly way of testing the machine?
The default answer here would be to go thru your ownerʻs manual and methodically test out each feature to see how it works. Although the technical writing can be extremely dry and dull, it is probably the most organized in terms of explaining the how-to and to some degree the why of each feature from focusing options to exposure control and automation, etc.

Most photographers have never explored or learned half of what is in their menus, simply because we have our habits and want to spend our discovery time in the field and not playing with a computer with a 3" display.

But you ask about ʻtestingʻ, and this has always been something Iʻve just done without a guide. You ARE right that it seems someone would have made a "how to test drive a used DSLR" youtube video by now...but Iʻm not aware of one with merit.
05-26-2018, 05:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The default answer here would be to go thru your ownerʻs manual and methodically test out each feature to see how it works. Although the technical writing can be extremely dry and dull, it is probably the most organized in terms of explaining the how-to and to some degree the why of each feature from focusing options to exposure control and automation, etc.

Most photographers have never explored or learned half of what is in their menus, simply because we have our habits and want to spend our discovery time in the field and not playing with a computer with a 3" display.

But you ask about ʻtestingʻ, and this has always been something Iʻve just done without a guide. You ARE right that it seems someone would have made a "how to test drive a used DSLR" youtube video by now...but Iʻm not aware of one with merit.
Alex, My default plan is to Yvon Bourque's book which is far more user friendly than the MANUAL that is, as you correctly point out, "dull and dry." I can imagine a more efficient way to handle this but "any port in a storm (with photos of course)." Thanks for your response.
05-26-2018, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Testing a new camera
Read up on the functions of the equipment that you want to test using the manual,Yvon Bourque's book etc. Zero in on the functions you are familiar with and ones that may interest you and leave all the rest to a possible latter date. Like reading the Tax Act most of it is of no interest to you and you will become overwhelmed if you try to translate the whole thing.

MOST IMPORTANT is that you choose a Scene , object ,pet , person that you are familiar with and have taken many photo's of in many conditions to try these functions on.

The third photo is from the early 1980's that I used to test every camera, lens , film , accessory that I wanted up to the early 2000's. It was a complex scene and I knew the conditions in all kinds of lighting and could do an analysis of the outcomes of each test. The first & second scene is the one I use now as the first one is no longer there.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 08-07-2018 at 04:31 AM.