Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #1

Need a recommendation for my first pentax DSLR (used or new)

Hi everyone,

Newbie to the DLSR world here (although I had an early Kodak digital), and I'm wanting to step into a more serious system. I'm computer literate and use Photoshop occasionally. I have some decent k-mount lenses (SMC FA 100mm macro, SMC FA 50mm, 85mm soft, and a decent 70-210). Basically I like shooting portraits, high contrast B&W people scenes, structures with vanishing points, outdoor nature stuff (flowers etc...tight depth of field control).

I would love to have a good DSLR and the 77mm limited, but finances might prohibit both now unless I shop used.

I noticed that Wingincamera has a used K-S2 for sale in the marketplace for $325, but I don't know if this would be too advanced to start with. However, the price would facilitate being able to grab the 77mm limited now instead of waiting.

I've gone through the reviews for the other weather sealed ones and I like what I've read about the K-70 (B&H $594), but I think that's even more advanced than the K-S2?

Also, I have pretty large hands and I've read that some of the early DLSRs have such compact bodies that sometimes that's a problem. I really don't know additional risks of buying used (other than aperture block) and Wingincamera stated that the K-S2 had it replaced recently.

Any basic suggestions i.e. used vs new, or problems of going too advanced too quickly?

Thanks,
-Rich

05-29-2018, 02:33 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wouldn’t worry about getting something too advanced. They all have ‘simple mode’, and you can grow into the rest.

The models you’ve mentioned are all APS-C ones, so I’d be more worried about the shift in field of view from whatever film SLR you had into the digital world. That’s not to say it’s unworkable, it’s just weird (and see the contortions some of us have gone through to figure it out...)

Any reasonably recent camera will be a decent start, though I’d budget for a wide to normal zoom (16-85?) as well as the 77...

Good luck!

-Eric
05-29-2018, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you're willing and able to easily shell out $1800 new for a K-1, the field of view issues inherent in the APS-C sensor are unavoidable when going with Pentax digital.

If I had no DSLR and someone put a KS-2 or K-70 in my hands, I know I would be doing pretty well. You can always default to full manual or take a halfway position with aperture or shutter priority.
05-29-2018, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I have a K-70, my daughter a K-S2, they are quite similar when it comes to advanced features, both are great cameras. The K-70 was my first DSLR, I wouldn’t hesitate a second if I should choose again - it would be the K-70.
The grip on the K-S2 is a bit smaller than the grip on the K-70.
Then you have the aperture block on the K-S2 which is a downside.

05-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the input, and good to read about APS-C issues with depth of field. I previously had a Super Program, and currently have a ZX-5n, so I'm comfortable shooting in either full manual or program priority modes.

I'm leaning towards a new K-70 (for warranty reasons), but maybe $325 for a used K--S2 with a recently replaced aperture block might be a really good deal?

-Rich
05-29-2018, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have larger hands, I would opt for a K3 or K3ii. One can be had used reasonable, the other can still be found new. Neither had an aperture block failure as some of the entry level cameras did.
05-29-2018, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRich Quote
maybe $325 for a used K--S2 with a recently replaced aperture block

I paid around $100 for the fix for aperture block alone, and as far as I can tell it was pretty decent price. $325 for the camera seems to be very good deal.

05-29-2018, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had a K-S2 and it's a fine body as long as you don't mind it being compact. I liked that about mine but not everyone does.
The K-70 is pretty similar and the warranty might be worth the extra money. It's really up to you for how much risk you want to take on used vs. new.
I bought my K-S2 grey market (no warranty) and it worked out for me for a couple of years until I lost it but a warranty would not have helped there.
05-29-2018, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

As twilhelm said the K3 and K3 II are better for larger hands. The build quality of these are also much better than the K S2 and K 70. Plus you get 2 SDM slots and can get the optional battery grip. I really like the 2 sdm slots. I can’t tell you how many times I have left an sd card in my computer and went photographing. Thank god for the 2nd sd card in the camera.

The only negative is the K 70 has better low light performance and the fully articulating screen. Other than that the K 3 and K 3 II beat it hands down
05-29-2018, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both the K 3 and K 3 II. my K 3 II was bought in November to replace a K 5 II.

the reason I bought the K 3 II is that B & H was selling it with the optional battery grip for $7 over the cost of the K 3 II alone

that deal is still being offered.

Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera with Battery Grip Kit B&H Photo Video

I do not know your budget, but the K 3 II and battery grip from B H would be new stock

if you are interested in an " experienced " camera body, check out the offerings in the forum's market place " buy/sell "

don't forget the deal being offered by the forum should you buy from one of the sponsors.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/97599-fre...tml#post999370

this link leads to a comparison of the K 70, K 3 II and K S 2

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-70&...c3=Pentax+K-S2

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-29-2018 at 04:36 PM.
05-29-2018, 04:25 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRich Quote
Thanks for the input, and good to read about APS-C issues with depth of field. I previously had a Super Program, and currently have a ZX-5n, so I'm comfortable shooting in either full manual or program priority modes.

I'm leaning towards a new K-70 (for warranty reasons), but maybe $325 for a used K--S2 with a recently replaced aperture block might be a really good deal?

-Rich
I'd go for the K-70. The warranty plus (significantly) improved image quality and more customizable UI make it a winner, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-29-2018, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd go for the K-70. The warranty plus (significantly) improved image quality and more customizable UI make it a winner, IMO.
I totally agree, the warranty is peace of mind, and when you can afford it go for the latest technology and best IQ you can get. It will stay current longer and get firmware updates longer, which may really pay off with some unknown future enhancement. Whatever you get I think you will really enjoy and appreciate it.
05-29-2018, 07:15 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-70 is a bargain for the quality, features, and capability it offers. Your FA100mm macro is an excellent lens for shooting nature closeups of flowers, and even on APS-C it can deliver extremely shallow depth of field, enough so for any practical application. The FA77mm Limited is indeed an extraordinarily fine lens, and the K-70's capabilities can deliver its tremendous potential.
05-29-2018, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great feedback from everyone here. For the kind of shooting you have in mind I would echo the K-70 recommendation.
05-29-2018, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a veteran of 2.5 ACB failures with two cameras, I would look for a used flagship camera going back even to the K5 ii or iis. The older flagship models are coming down to the price you quoted for the K-S2, have a lovely quiet shutter and a different and more reliable ACB approach than Pentax mid range cameras. In the long run, composition, lighting and lens choice, in that order, have much more to do with success than the camera you choose.