Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2018, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the O P, or others want to see what " older " Pentax camera bodies and prime lenses are capable of

I recommend looking at this thread

prime, prime, everywhere a prime... - PentaxForums.com

there are photos with the " latest and brightest " equipment as well as photos using older Pentax equipment

06-01-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #32

Original Poster
B&H had a Memorial Day sale going on so I went with a new K-70 with a warranty, and the 18-55mm lens combo. I also bought an extra battery and card reader. I saved about $200, but it will still be a while before I can grab that 77mm limited. Should arrive on Monday, can't wait!!

Thanks again for all the input everyone, I'm really looking forward to this new adventure and learning from the posters here. This website has already been a really good experience!

I purchased through the B&H link on this website, but I'm a little confused: do I need to wait 24 hrs after it has shipped before sending Adam the order number, or just after it has shipped?

-Rich
06-01-2018, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. In case you haven't spotted this yet and need help.

Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
06-01-2018, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats

2 more suggestions:

- since you live in the US, you could take advantage of the fact that some companies will rent lenses.

I have used LensRentals.com successfully ( if you do rent pay for the maximum protection program )

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

there may be other companies as well.

you can do your own trial testing of lenses before you decide what you want to buy

- if you get interested in buying an " experienced " lens, be sure to check the offerings in the market place " buy/sell " here at the forum

I have had good luck in buying " experienced " equipment from other members of the forum

06-01-2018, 05:24 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Congratulations. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. In case you haven't spotted this yet and need help.

Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com

Yes, thank you! That will be a big help!

---------- Post added 06-01-18 at 05:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Congrats

2 more suggestions:

- since you live in the US, you could take advantage of the fact that some companies will rent lenses.

I have used LensRentals.com successfully ( if you do rent pay for the maximum protection program )

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

there may be other companies as well.

you can do your own trial testing of lenses before you decide what you want to buy

- if you get interested in buying an " experienced " lens, be sure to check the offerings in the market place " buy/sell " here at the forum

I have had good luck in buying " experienced " equipment from other members of the forum

I had no idea about the lens rental, I will have to look into that, thanks!

-rich
06-01-2018, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest, also checking out this recommended settings article, to get started with your new camera.

Pentax K-70 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews
06-01-2018, 07:45 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRich Quote
Thanks for the input, and good to read about APS-C issues with depth of field. I previously had a Super Program, and currently have a ZX-5n, so I'm comfortable shooting in either full manual or program priority modes.

I'm leaning towards a new K-70 (for warranty reasons), but maybe $325 for a used K--S2 with a recently replaced aperture block might be a really good deal?

-Rich
All modern DSLRs are larger than your Super Program. I also had a Super Program and would love to get back down to that size range, but even the KP is somewhat larger. Once you get used to APS-C. you'll forget that DOF is different, because that hardly ever matter.

06-01-2018, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great choice. You'll get great images from the K-70.

Forget the depth of field "issue". Just get used to the new fields of view of your lenses on the crop sensor and run with it.
06-02-2018, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #39

The K-70 is going to be a great camera for you.

If you need help with all the features the camera has you might be able to find video tutorials on YouTube. I found a lot of the K-S2 tutorials very helpful when I got my camera because I could follow along.

Hope you enjoy your new camera!
06-06-2018, 06:09 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're really looking for macro I would suggest a model without the AA filter. It's not VITAL but it does help give the best possible resolution. That puts you in K5IIs, K3 and K3II range. Those models are very well constructed, used is a fine option. I got good shots with the K5 but better with the K3II. Some of that is technique, some is technology.
06-06-2018, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
If you're really looking for macro I would suggest a model without the AA filter. It's not VITAL but it does help give the best possible resolution. That puts you in K5IIs, K3 and K3II range. Those models are very well constructed, used is a fine option. I got good shots with the K5 but better with the K3II. Some of that is technique, some is technology.

Or the K-70
06-06-2018, 04:12 PM   #42
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratulations on the K-70 @PentaxRich. You've made a very good choice. The lenses you have got already will shine with it. In particular, a macro lens and an APS-C camera with no AA filter is a marriage made in heaven.

The 18-55 kit lens actually seems to be pretty good, especially in good light where the slow maximum aperture doesn't matter. Down the track you might want to upgrade to one of the better wide-normal zooms, but there's no need to rush that.

If your interest in nature photography runs to birds and other wildlife, you might consider looking for a longer telephoto lens than the 70-210. One of the Pentax 55-300 models would be an obvious place to start. The current model 55-300 PLM has the best autofocus of any Pentax lens, but optically the previous screw-driven AF models are pretty close in performance. The recently-superseded HD-DA 55-300 f4-5.8 WR is still available new from some sellers at excellent prices - it's a bargain buy IMO. There are also plenty of good ones available second-hand.

Oh, and I endorse what @DW58 said about getting spare DLi109 batteries for your K-70. The better third party ones are OK and not expensive.
06-07-2018, 05:34 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good call on getting a second battery. These big lithium cells last a long time but you'll want a spare for two reasons. Firs, of course, Mr. Murphy's Laws. Second, if you're out in the winter, those batteries will lose their mojo. If you keep your spare in a warm pocket, you can swap them and keep shooting.

Wait on that 77mm. See what that focal length brings you. Indoors, that's way too tight. The inexpensive DA40 might be a great FL for you on an ASPC body. I find that a bit tight indoors and really like the 21mm. Outdoors or if you need reach, of course it's different. I haven't bought the third pancake, I don't think it's likely to be as useful. The 21 and 40 pancakes are a lot of fun, though.
06-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Great choice you will enjoy the K70. For the money it is an awesome camera. Between my father I and I, I can’t even count how many awesome images over almost 10 years with the 18-55 pair of kit lenses we shot between the K100D and K10D. It was over 100K.