Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2018, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is there that much difference between "FF" users and "APS-C" users? I'm not hearing here the complaints about the 'accelerator' that seem to be non-stop in the K-1 section.
There are several really vocal negative posters in the FF section. They are outnumbered by the happy K1 mkII users by a sizeable amount, but they are determined to dominate the conversation and post repeatedly, while the happy K-1 mkII guys post once and let it go. I think it's the cost factor. How much you pay for a camera seems to have an effect on how much your feel entitled to complain about it.

The main culprit posted images so bad I wouldn't have kept on my hard drive, so honestly I didn't care. Sometimes bad is bad. But that hasn't stopped the endless torrent of negative posts. It's become a bandwagon. I tend to judge cameras by what they can do for me. Not by what they can't do. If there's something a camera can't do, don't do it. Buy something else that does what you want. The interesting thing about these negative posters. They have no images showing that something else is better. Just endless rants about how the K-1 mkII should be better.

It doesn't matter how good it might be, it's not good enough for them. They need better than any camera producer of any size or description can deliver. And they'll tell you about it over and over again.

06-01-2018, 06:27 AM   #17
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There are several really vocal negative posters in the FF section. They are outnumbered by the happy K1 mkII users by a sizeable amount, but they are determined to dominate the conversation and post repeatedly, while the happy K-1 mkII guys post once and let it go. I think it's the cost factor. How much you pay for a camera seems to have an effect on how much your feel entitled to complain about it.

The main culprit posted images so bad I wouldn't have kept on my hard drive, so honestly I didn't care. Sometimes bad is bad. But that hasn't stopped the endless torrent of negative posts. It's become a bandwagon. I tend to judge cameras by what they can do for me. Not by what they can't do. If there's something a camera can't do, don't do it. Buy something else that does what you want. The interesting thing about these negative posters. They have no images showing that something else is better. Just endless rants about how the K-1 mkII should be better.

It doesn't matter how good it might be, it's not good enough for them. They need better than any camera producer of any size or description can deliver. And they'll tell you about it over and over again.

similarly, I once posted in the K-50 thread at the height of the aperture-block-failure, that it only seemed to be a handful of K-50's that the issue seemed to be present, while the remainder of K-50 owners were content and away from the computer/using their camera...

you'd have thought I poured sugar in their gas tanks while murdering kittens in their front yard....
07-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #18

best pentax dslr

so
can someone guide me
had a k5 some years ago , with 18-55 wr- great feel and handling - rotten results
i shoot jpeg but know broadly what i am doing . i hope after many years
my fuji x series way better - even better with my sony rx10 mk1 with zeiss lens
so having joined forum to ask what would users advise - are k3/ kp much better
07-29-2020, 08:37 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Saab2020 Quote
so can someone guide mehad a k5 some years ago , with 18-55 wr- great feel and handling - rotten resultsi shoot jpeg but know broadly what i am doing . i hope after many years my fuji x series way better - even better with my sony rx10 mk1 with zeiss lens so having joined forum to ask what would users advise - are k3/ kp much better
Hello,

Welcome to Pentax Forums.

I think that it's difficult to tell from your post the level of performance that you are seeking and the problems that you have encountered in the past.

The K-5 has been generally regarded as a good camera by many users. Similarly, the DA 18-55 WR 'kit lens' has often been applauded for its decent optical quality. Nonetheless, subsequent Pentax cameras have included new features or implemented higher performance levels. There are numerous Pentax lenses that offer better optical performance than the 18-55, albeit at higher prices.

If you could provide more insight as to the deficiencies you are experiencing with your current kit, I'm sure that members here could provide useful guidance. Also, knowing what types of photography you do (e.g., portrait, landscape, city, street, etc) would be useful.

- Craig

07-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
so
can someone guide me
had a k5 some years ago , with 18-55 wr- great feel and handling - rotten results
my fuji x series way better - are k3/ kp much better
a) Can you describe or show an example, in detail, the "rotten results" from the K5? Motion blur, focus problems, color or contrast, etc?

b) Can you describe or show an example, in detail, the "way better" results from the Fuji X? What lens are you using on that camera?

c) Is the K3 or KP a much better camera than the K5? In most ways yes, in a few ways no. Pentax K-5 vs Pentax KP Detailed Comparison

d) Or are you asking is the KP better than the Fuji X? Exactly what model Fujifilm are you shooting with?

e) The improvements over time can be because you have improved as photographer. Thus the results from an earlier camera may not be as good because of your earlier skills compared to now.

f) The improvements may be due to the lens. Try a better lens on the K5 or a worse lens on the Fujifilm X and results would flip.
07-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I own (and have regularly shot) a K-500, K-5, K-5iis, K-3, K-70, and KP from the APS-C arsenal.

The KP is tops among them.

If you're going for pure-OOC JPG though, the Fuji's can't be defeated. I love the JPGs from my x100F.
07-30-2020, 06:54 AM   #22

best pentax dslr

hi
well
dont think i am getting a better photographer but
have used too many systems to count
i had the same problem with nikon d300 as k5 - same sensor
just no jpegs i could rely on - poor wb - just rubbish whatever film mode you selected - my experience
whereas whatever fuji body you pick up great results for me
nikon df for instance, superb image but exposure all over the place and have tried 2 examples
nikon d7000 fine dependable but no life in the image
dont agree so much about the lens - its the camera/sensor/ processing
just wondered if their is some other pentax out there that creates a wow factor
i can frame the image
tony

07-30-2020, 08:18 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

dont agree so much about the lens - its the camera/sensor/ processing
i can frame the image
tony
Thanks for explaining further Tony. Your approach is very different than mine. I want to create the wow factor, not the sensor. My idea of wow factor is the sensor on a Pentax 645Z. But I always shoot RAW because with Photoshop, I can end up with a better aesthetic than if I just relied on the camera's jpeg. It's more work, but it's more satisfying for me because shooting is only the first step in the image making.

And I'm not so sure, without seeing examples of wow factor, there is a right answer for you.

I've been teaching photography for over 25 years and have seen thousands of images made by Canon, Nikon, Sony, Lumix, Olympus, Fujifilm, Leica, and Pentax cameras. From straight jpegs, most are wowed by Pentax. But my nephew who only shoots jpegs started with a Pentax K-70 and he switched to a Nikon D500 because he thought it had that wow factor. For him, however, the wow is the AF and fps speed which allows him to capture with less effort the kinds of subjects he shoots.

If Fujifilm hits the spot with you, I'm not sure why you want or need to look further.
07-30-2020, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Tony,

It seems that your Fuji camera(s) are serving you well -- why not just continue using your current kit? Nothing wrong with Fuji.

I had a chance to play with an X-T3 recently. The out-of-camera jpeg images were quite fine, although I didn't find that they were more spectacular than what I get from my Pentax kit (K-3 II and K-5 II).

In my opinion, any Pentax camera and lens has the potential to produce fantastic images. However, it's been my experience that the gear is only one element in creating images that have a "wow factor." Other aspects such as subject, composition, lighting and exposure, choice of aperture and shutter speed, etc all play critical roles.

You may know that Pentax cameras incorporate a feature to set a "Custom Image" according to your tastes. For example, this link explains some of the settings: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/custom_image/

If you haven't done so already, I might suggest that you take a look at some of the camera or lens 'threads' here at Pentax Forums. For example:

HD Pentax-D FA* 1:1.4 85mm Lens Club - PentaxForums.com

The FA Limited Club - PentaxForums.com

300mm plus Lens Club: discuss your long lenses - PentaxForums.com

Lens Sample Photo Archive - PentaxForums.com

- Craig