Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Best aps-c camera ???????????

What do you consider to be the best APS-C PENTAX camera today on the new market and WHY?

Thanks Bill

05-31-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Overall, the K-P, there are some trade offs when comparing to a K-3 but overall as a one camera option, (as opposed to part of a larger arsenal) the Accelerator chip and high ISO performance are pretty impressive, and that was the biggest weakness of the K-3. However the 8 fps and 23 shot buffer are the things that make the K-3 stand out, so it really depends on who you are and what you shoot, which you pick. The K-70 is probably the best bang per buck option.
05-31-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

^ Pretty much nailed it. The K-5IIs is also highly regarded, but KAF4 lens control is non-existent, meaning that it will only shoot recent & future KAF4 lenses wide open.
05-31-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

a pair of K-3's do everything I can think to throw at them... but no longer available new on the market...

05-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Pretty much nailed it. The K-5IIs is also highly regarded, but KAF4 lens control is non-existent, meaning that it will only shoot recent & future KAF4 lenses wide open.
The K-5 series still hold up admirably for IQ, but unfortunately not currently available new., Top 10 when brand new 8 years ago, I don't think you can buy them new anywhere as per the OPs request. But still a top 50 camera to this day. You could do a lot worse.
05-31-2018, 11:44 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gold Coast Quote
What do you consider to be the best APS-C PENTAX camera today on the new market and WHY?
Thanks Bill
This is subject with the qualifier being the word "best".

The K-70 is the best if price is your highest value.
The K-P is the best if features and tech specs are your priorities.
The K-3II is the best value in terms of price with a set of pro-level features.

Then we could all debate subjectives like ergonomics, etc.

Are you asking because you are looking to buy a new APS-C Pentax? What's your budget? Do you already have Pentax mount lenses? What do you want to shoot primarily?
05-31-2018, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

They are all (K-3II, KP, and K-70) good with choice being a matter of price and feature preference. To be honest, the same is true pretty much across the board regardless of manufacturer. It is truly difficult to find a digital ILC that sucks.

If my K-3 were to die today, the answer is simple...a K-3II and the reasons would be:
  • Current K-3II price point
  • Best overall build of the three
  • Fits my (XL) hands best
  • Not interested in a Prime IV + accelerator camera without better accelerator control options
  • I use most of the K-3 features that were dropped on the KP
I would like the SR II, flip-up rear LCD, and wired tethering option on the KP, but not enough to give up the top LCD and other K-3II features.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-31-2018 at 12:10 PM.
05-31-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I would say the K3 and K50 cause I already own them. Otherwise I would take the KP. If the K3 had the tiltie screen and accelerator chip. Mmmmm I'd be in love...get goose bumps just thinking about it.
05-31-2018, 01:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

^ Your dream is not that far off. My guess is that the upcoming K-3II replacement is either going to have the same exact IQ that the KP has or maybe slightly better IQ plus the K-3II build & performance to boot with more enhancements & updated features. Maybe towards the end of next year.
05-31-2018, 04:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Best aps-c camera ???????????
K-3 finally a replacement for the K1000 that you can bang nails with !
05-31-2018, 07:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3 series: great performer (fast/accurate (?) )
K5 series: almost as good as the KP in terms of low light capabilities.

K3+K5 .... when it shows up !
05-31-2018, 07:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My friend have a K-3 and it was worse than my K-5, I will go will KP without any question or K-5
05-31-2018, 08:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used a K5, now K3, never use KP.

I think both cameras, K5 & K3 can produce outstanding end result if you know what you are doing with them.

As for myself, Overall I like K3 more than K5 now.
K3 offers more resolution that can be good or bad. More resolution means any minor mistake will be more pronounced in the end result. Even you do not make a mistake, for example, the first time I use DA15 on K-3. It was on tripod + remote control, and in the same spot as K5, using same manual focus technic, K3 gives me terrible performance on the 4 edges of the image while details in the center are better than the K5 when pixel-peeping. I have to go back and do more research and try and try many more times before I found a good balance. I think K3 user will need to improve/adapt their shooting style to match with the more pixel density sensor before they can enjoy a reward from the K3.

I also think K3 autofocus and manual focus (manual focus via rear LCD) at night is way-way better / easier than K5.

On the other hand, I like K5 buttons layout more than K3. They are very similar by the way, but somehow after years of using K3, I still cannot switch my most used functions without taking my eye off the viewfinder. Some of the function requires 2 hands operation anyway. On K5, all of my most used functions can be performed one hand while my eye stays fix on the viewfinder. And I really don’t like the lock / unlock thing on the shooting function wheel top left corner. A little bump which happens all the time, that thing can switch from lock to unlock and my shooting function changed! The Still to Video switch too. I loose some unexpected opportunities because these 2 things are switched to a wrong shooting mode while it has never happened with my K5 because … K5 doesn’t have it.

I don’t have a KP, but on paper, it looks like a very nice system.

Maybe after all, the best APS-C camera is the one on your hand, the one you comfortable using, and/or the one you can afford.
06-01-2018, 03:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I went from a k-5 to now a K-1 and KP for APS-C. I'm quite pleased with the KP for image quality . And the flip screen very useful IMHO. For my purposes though the image quality is not a substantial upgrade from the K-5. Its other features: more focus points and flip screen, the flash again controlling a wireless flash unlike the K-S2, are what made my decision for me. It's also a tad lighter than the K-5 which is another point in its favor I can live with the weight of the K-1 but when I am out and about the weight savings does make a difference.
06-01-2018, 05:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Is there that much difference between "FF" users and "APS-C" users? I'm not hearing here the complaints about the 'accelerator' that seem to be non-stop in the K-1 section.