Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

What price can I expect the KP to go down to once discounts start hitting?

I've pretty much decided that the KP will be my next camera. With the features, size, ruggedness and image quality all taken into consideration for what will probably be my camera for the next 6 years it just makes the most sense for me. My question ends up being waiting for this camera to hit a price point I'm comfortable with. I'm in absolutely no rush at the moment, I don't have to feed myself with my photographs so I'm perfectly ok sitting on my still wonderful K-01.

Would it be realistic to think that by the time sales hit that the KP could hit the 600-750 dollar mark (body only of course)? I'm not familiar with the usual pricing trends of these cameras so I'm asking for your opinions.

05-31-2018, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh seems to have done a fairly good job of inventory management recently. I do not remember there being any sudden 'fire sales' on old models when new ones came out. In fact the opposite in some cases, prices actually went up once availability got scarce.

Nikon / Canon play the "dump the old model" game but Ricoh seems to not be interested in that. I suspect there is just as much chance of KP inventory going to zero as there is of the price dropping to your point. If the current $900us is above your budget you might look for a good used one that would likely be in your range.
05-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Almost one and a half year in, and there's not been much discounting on the Kp yet. With the K-70 selling for around $600, I think it would be unlikely to see the Kp anywhere below $800 any time soon. Currently body only at Adorama and B&H for $896.97.
See here about gaining Site Supporter status when buying from either B&H or Adorama: FREE Marketplace Access if you shop at B&H, Adorama, or Topaz Labs - PentaxForums.com
05-31-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It probably won't drop much until the next generation flagship comes out. You might see a minor price drop by the end of the year for the holiday shopping crowd, but it probably wont be much. My guess would be about $849 USA, but could probably hit as low as $799. I kind of doubt that, though.

05-31-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
It probably won't drop much until the next generation flagship comes out. You might see a minor price drop by the end of the year for the holiday shopping crowd, but it probably wont be much. My guess would be about $849 USA, but could probably hit as low as $799. I kind of doubt that, though.
I mean it's already around 900 USD body only, guess I'm just gonna wait for some beat up used body as I do with everything else I own.
05-31-2018, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You could always look around for factory reconditioned items. SRS in the UK do them, surely someone in the states does? My K3 cost £469 with two years warranty two months ago, when I got it it had taken only 850 images, looked and felt like new, has zero defects, and had the full retail contents in the box. Not exactly "beat up and used".
05-31-2018, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree. Ricoh is holding the line pretty tightly these days on lenses and bodies.

I don't see it ever hitting 600 even when discontinued. It could be a year or more for it to hit 795 or 750 I would think.

You could wait until Black Friday and look for a package deal, KP + lens or KP + grip. Although last year's Black Friday was a bit of a non-event for Ricoh from what I remember.

05-31-2018, 06:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrMojo Quote
You could always look around for factory reconditioned items. SRS in the UK do them, surely someone in the states does? My K3 cost £469 with two years warranty two months ago, when I got it it had taken only 850 images, looked and felt like new, has zero defects, and had the full retail contents in the box. Not exactly "beat up and used".
I can't seem to find anything like that for anything
05-31-2018, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Unregistered User

Keep checking Amazon Warehouse, it is not in stock right now, but you might be able to snare one for around $600 if you are lucky:

https://www.amazon.com/Pentax-KP-Ultra-Compact-Weatherproof-Black/dp/B01N5RH...eywords=pentax
05-31-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
Keep checking Amazon Warehouse, it is not in stock right now, but you might be able to snare one for around $600 if you are lucky:

amazon.com : Pentax KP 24.32 Ultra-Compact Weatherproof DSLR with 3?tag=pentaxforums-20&" LCD, Black : Camera & Photo
Thanks for the tip!
05-31-2018, 07:17 PM   #11

When I decided to buy the KP I just checked eBay every few days for one of their 20% off discount days. I snagged a KP and 50mm lens for $800 from an authorized dealer's eBay store. Could've been less without the lens but I'm switching from Olympus and that means starting from scratch.
05-31-2018, 08:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP rather quickly was reduced from its initial introductory price of $1,200 to about $1,100 where it remained for a while. Then it dropped to just under $1,000 and more recently to just under $900. With the K-70 at just under $600, I don't think it will decrease much additionally very soon. When the K-3 II replacement arrives, my guess it will be at an initial price of around $1,300. It will probably take another a year or so for its price to come down to around $1,100 and the KP's price to then settle in at around $800, and the K-70 at about $500.

So my thinking would be to build your savings for it gradually in the meantime. As you know, with digital everything eventually decreases in value as newer models appear, and at the point where they are seen as falling behind compared with the newest models, they become a discontinued model and the price of new left-over stock drops to the basement bargain level- and that is when you can grab an outstanding deal on a new camera... when it becomes a discontinued model. Just as now is the case with the K-3 II. I have used this tactic when acquiring numerous bodies, including the K20D, K-5, K-5 IIs, and K-S2. Sometimes the newer model doesn't even surpass the previous one by much, and in some respects not at all!

I did not use this method when acquiring my 2 KP bodies, but did get deals at under $900. I figured in the case of the KP, at that price level, and the build level of the product coupled with its features, image quality, unique flexibility, and all that in a uniquely compact design, it would not be worth it to me to wait yet another year or more of enjoyable use to save an additional $100, should it drop to below $800. It's getting close to a year since getting my first KP, and I have no regrets.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-31-2018 at 09:16 PM.
05-31-2018, 09:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check Pentaxforum market place on regular basis. From time to time I see KP body almost like new in $725 .. 750 range. As soon as new APS-C body came out we probably will see more of it.
06-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you're willing to buy internationally (which is a bunch of trade offs, I know...), it might be worth keeping an eye on Canadian prices. The current USD / CAD exchange rate gives you a substantial advantage. If the right sale came along, or the CAD sinks a little further, the KP might become available at the top end of your price range. I might be wrong, but I don't think you'd have to pay Canadian sales tax. Possibly duty and international shipping though. Photoprice.ca is one good price aggregator.
06-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Lots of good advice here in this thread. I picked up the extra package with SD card, cleaning kit, bag and UV filter along with a free DA 50 1.8 for the body only price at Adorama. They also have used gear of recent vintage on occasion.